Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good interview with Xavi in the Guardian

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm a romantic says Xavi, heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain | Football | The Guardian

Interesting to hear what he says about Barcelona's style of play. Obviously Barca are the supreme proponents of tippy-tappy football but you can see how that mindset has trickled down to Poyet - particularly in his insistence of all teams at the club playing the same way.

I'm not for one minute saying that the Albion are another Barcelona, of course. Poyet has, by and large, a team of British lower league hoofers to work with, but you can see some of the same philosophy.

It's a much more thoughtful interview than we usually see from footballers - an excellent read.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Great. Something to say, honest, enthusiastic. And a fantastic player. That's some stat ; that he completed 104 more passes than the nearest most prolific player at the world cup.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm a romantic says Xavi, heartbeat of Barcelona and Spain | Football | The Guardian

Interesting to hear what he says about Barcelona's style of play. Obviously Barca are the supreme proponents of tippy-tappy football but you can see how that mindset has trickled down to Poyet - particularly in his insistence of all teams at the club playing the same way.

I'm not for one minute saying that the Albion are another Barcelona, of course. Poyet has, by and large, a team of British lower league hoofers to work with, but you can see some of the same philosophy.

It's a much more thoughtful interview than we usually see from footballers - an excellent read.

Heard about it on the radio this morning and thought the same. Not sure about 'lower league hoofers' though - one thing Poyet is doing is scouting and bringing in the right sort of player for our style. OK, so we're not as well known as players from the Prem but I've a feeling there's 3 or 4 with us right now who will be soon.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Very interesting interview with probably my favourite current (non-Albion) footballer.

It was once said that he is so integral to Barca that if he plays well, they play well. If he doesn't, they don't. It's some accolade to place on any player in a team of such obvious quality throughout, but I reckon it's totally justified.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I love that.

The problem is that the Academy coaches will read this all nod and accept that he has a superior knowledge of what is needed to succeed.

Then all go back to their clubs and scout ungainly oversized and sometimes over aged youngsters that will deliver a hollow win at the weekend whilst releasing yet another technically decent 12 year old that is physically inferior to his and the other Academy players

Unfortunately I am convinced that it is cultural.

You cannot learn to respect, enjoy and promote technical excellence irrespective of size when you have always enjoyed 'blood and thunder' football that is dominated by bigger boys in youth football.

Coaches can be educated, encouraged and cajoled, but they will always revert to their default position of how they see football should be played irrespective of what World Cup Winner Xavi has to say ;-(

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Great interview. Talks as he plays football... impulsive and instinctive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You cannot learn to respect, enjoy and promote technical excellence irrespective of size when you have always enjoyed 'blood and thunder' football that is dominated by bigger boys in youth football.

Coaches can be educated, encouraged and cajoled, but they will always revert to their default position of how they see football should be played irrespective of what World Cup Winner Xavi has to say ;-(

And as Xavi says in the interview - English crowds will cheer when a big defender hoofs the ball into the stand. And don't forget, while most Albion fans buy into the Gus way, there are a few who moan about it and yell "Get rid" when we start playing it from the back.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Quality interview and I hope every last crusty old buffoon at the FA reads it, reads it again and then thinks long and hard about how football is run in England.

Can we have Xavi as coach when he hangs up his boots please?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Big gully,

Good post. It used to annoy me so much that coaches in this country would focus on the
height of a player as a basis for choosing teams - a completely flawed approach.

But then again what do you expect from coaches in this country at all levels - many of whom have
less intelligence than a fu**ing ostrich.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There's a great book by the journalist Jim White entitled " you'll win nothing with kids", all about his time as the coach of his sons schoolboy side, one of the anecdotes in it tells the story of a player in The adult Jim White's team, truly useless player,constantly misplaced passes, scuffed shots, the whole works, the thing is, this player claimed to have spent 3 seasons in Celtic's youth team, they obviously didnt believe him, but Jim White , using his journalistic contacts, made some calls to celtic, and his story checked out ! It turns out he was a really big schoolboy, six or seven inches taller and heavier than his team mates , and used his size as an advantage until 3 seasons later the other boys had caught up with him and exposed him for the shit player he really was.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's good to see a player of his age with his experience who has won everything there possibly is to win in the game so genuinely enthusiastic about football. It's a marked contrast to a lot of top level footballers, particularly when you consider that they aren't close to being the player xavi is or having the medal collection he does.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I read that online today, great read. Made me want to watch the 5-0 demolition of Real Madrid again. Great player.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I love that.

The problem is that the Academy coaches will read this all nod and accept that he has a superior knowledge of what is needed to succeed.

Then all go back to their clubs and scout ungainly oversized and sometimes over aged youngsters that will deliver a hollow win at the weekend whilst releasing yet another technically decent 12 year old that is physically inferior to his and the other Academy players

There's a great book by the journalist Jim White entitled " you'll win nothing with kids", all about his time as the coach of his sons schoolboy side, one of the anecdotes in it tells the story of a player in The adult Jim White's team, truly useless player,constantly misplaced passes, scuffed shots, the whole works, the thing is, this player claimed to have spent 3 seasons in Celtic's youth team, they obviously didnt believe him, but Jim White , using his journalistic contacts, made some calls to celtic, and his story checked out ! It turns out he was a really big schoolboy, six or seven inches taller and heavier than his team mates , and used his size as an advantage until 3 seasons later the other boys had caught up with him and exposed him for the shit player he really was.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Read somewhere that at Barca it was ' better to lose beautifully than to win ugly, as beauty will always win in the end' Can you imagine your average British manager subscribing to this! Alladyce anyone!

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Happened to a mate of mine who was on the books at Brighton between the ages of 11 & 14, in the early '80's. He still remains the best player I've ever played with or against, but the Brighton youth manager got rid of him because he was "too small". Broke his heart because his life was football and, technically, he was better than anyone else of his age in Brighton & Hove.

For example, he was the same age as Ian Chapman & our school played Chapman's in a final. We ended up winning & my mate BOSSED the match from midfield with his vision and hard tackling. Head and shoulders above everyone else, including Chapman that day.

By no means denigrating Ian's achievements. I thought he was a great player & was very proud of his achievements with the Albion and being the first "pro" out of Lilleshall. But my mate would have been in the Scholes mould if the decision makers took a different perspective on "footballing qualities".

He wasn't "lightweight" either, being regularly the winner of the B&H All Schools 100M.

Mind you, if the Albion could turn down the likes of Ian Wright & Roy Keane for the same reason back in the '80's, then what hope for my pal?!?!?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here