Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I wonder what the goldstone would look like today if say DK took over and Bellend and Arshole had left us the ground . Would we have been able to re develop it into a tidy small 15k all seater or would we have had a similar ground to what it was before we left ?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Dk would still have had his Falmer pipe dream the ground would have even more sections boarded off as unusable, still LDC and the Nimbys would be scuppering a move etc etc, Only advantage is we'd still have a saleable asset in the goldstone.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
ditchy said:
I wonder what the goldstone would look like today if say DK took over and Bellend and Arshole had left us the ground . Would we have been able to re develop it into a tidy small 15k all seater or would we have had a similar ground to what it was before we left ?

Would DK have had the money to pay off the debts and re-develop the old ground?

Alas we'll never know, but I'll allways be grateful to him for getting rid of the old regime.

:bowdown:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Fragmented Badger said:
A lot of the Falmer campaign has been based on the fact that we desperately need a home, and that Withdean is so obviously inadequate. It would have been A LOT EASIER for the nimbys to argue that the Goldstone was good enough for us, so I think we would have had far more difficulties getting Falmer.

Taking into account that the Albion were after a new ground well back into the last century and struggled. It's one hell of a horrible thought that Archer and Stanley may have in some way helped us speed up the process?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
to put seats in they would of had to re-do most the terracing which was never going to be finanacially viable.
People often remember the goldstone with rose tinted glasses , i remember many a time the atmosphere being deader than a door knob and the moans non stop

was still home though

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
There were plans years ago to make the North and South stands two tier (seating on the top, terrace on the bottom).

The problem was the East Terrace that which had very limited options for improvement due to its shape and planning restrictions.

There was a plan put forward by the Council at one time to turn the pitch 90 degrees and relocate the petrol station and businesses further along Old Shoreham Road to enable a proper redevelopment, but that idea soon faded away along with all the others!

sullyupthewing

Jul 5, 2003
brighton and worthing
Hove council dissapeared up its own jacksy, so I think it would have been revamped, they Hove council done everything they could over the years to stop the Goldstone be done up.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Personally think we could have developed Goldstone to a tidy little 20k allseater ..only problem would have been the east side but a smaller one teir stand may have been possible and would have given the ground a lopsided look

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I've looked into this before and seen plans from 1980's which included:

7000 (split 3500 seats, 3500 terrace) behind both north and south ends. two tier stands.

3200 - Single Tier all seated East Stand

10,000 - Full Length and extended West Stand. including hospitality.

Total capacity of 27K with 20,000 seats. This involved relocating a few businesses behind the south stand and had council approval. I think Ivor Caplin tried to resurrect this plan with Belloti and Archer but was completely ignored.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
We would have moved long before now, I reckon. The site was a bad one to develop as a modern ground. This is not to diminish one iota the general cuntiness of Mssrs Archer, Belloti and Stanley and their actions, I hasten to add. We'd have moved in our time and on our terms, like other clubs with new grounds have.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
thegallery_bha2.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I loved the East TErrace, we would be quite happy back there with 2 well seated sides and 2 terraced sides.

it was a rapidly deteriorating ground, but perfectly salvagable, and it was home, and in a perfect location :(

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
y2dave said:
I've looked into this before and seen plans from 1980's which included:

7000 (split 3500 seats, 3500 terrace) behind both north and south ends. two tier stands.

3200 - Single Tier all seated East Stand

10,000 - Full Length and extended West Stand. including hospitality.

Total capacity of 27K with 20,000 seats. This involved relocating a few businesses behind the south stand and had council approval. I think Ivor Caplin tried to resurrect this plan with Belloti and Archer but was completely ignored.

Wasnt there something about development of North stand being limited due to closeness of major trunk road the then A27 .. But given that now , imagine we could have built a decent seated stand there . oh well :drink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here