Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goldstone Commemorative Cover

johnwells

Jan 6, 2005
The Collectors Society are issuing a limited edition Commemorative Cover to recall the final match at the Goldstone.

It should be available from the Club Shop shortly though not sure of the price.

It is hoped to be launched at tonights (April 26h)Collectors Society AGM,at the Eclipse in Montgomery Street Hove. 7.30pm

All are welcome to attend the first part of the evening, to listen to Guest speaker Barry LLoyd , though the second part is MEMBERS only

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Excuse my ignorance - a cover of what? A book? A song?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Hiney said:
Postal?

Like a First Day Cover?
Ok now I'm really confused. Seriously. What is a postal first day cover? Is it like your own set of stamps? How come we're allowed to issue stamps?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm guessing a programme cover?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
johnwells said:
Alright thea commemorative envelope of the First Day cover type.
No, sorry. I understand those words individually, but together in that combination they make no sense.

johnwells

Jan 6, 2005
Sometimes special covers are produced by roups or organisations to commerate events dear to them, suchas the original Goldstone envelope.

The stamps are not special issues but standard for teh time of issue.

Hope this clarifies the position for you

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
johnwells said:
Sometimes special covers are produced by roups or organisations to commerate events dear to them, suchas the original Goldstone envelope.

The stamps are not special issues but standard for teh time of issue.

Hope this clarifies the position for you
Well I'm getting there, I think. So a 'cover' is a set of stamps. But they're just 'normal' stamps. So to make them 'special' they're marked in some way?

Edit: Postmarked! Do they have a special franked postmark?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
sad philatelist alert:

it is usually a special design of an envelope upon which stamps are placed with a postmark and it is posted to you.

The very special ones (to mark royal weddings, coronations) have special edition stamps and a special message on the post mark

New issue commemorative stamps usually have a standard post mark

Locally arranged ones (e.g.te cup final in1983)had a special post mark and envelope but normal stamps

This I suspect will be a special envelope, maybe a post mark but use standard stamps

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ROSM said:
sad philatelist alert:

it is usually a special design of an envelope upon which stamps are placed with a postmark and it is posted to you.

The very special ones (to mark royal weddings, coronations) have special edition stamps and a special message on the post mark

New issue commemorative stamps usually have a standard post mark

Locally arranged ones (e.g.te cup final in1983)had a special post mark and envelope but normal stamps

This I suspect will be a special envelope, maybe a post mark but use standard stamps
Thanks. So the 'cover' in question is the envelope. It will (probably) hav a normal stamp but a special postmark saying something like: 'Goldstone RIP 10 years on' or something?

And if we were REALLY special there would by 'Goodbye Goldstone' stamps, which would not only be on the commemorative cover but you could buy normally in the shops?

Am I getting there?

(I hope everyone else is paying attention, I'm not just asking these questions for the benefit of my health y'know).

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Brovian said:
Thanks. So the 'cover' in question is the envelope. It will (probably) hav a normal stamp but a special postmark saying something like: 'Goldstone RIP 10 years on' or something?

And if we were REALLY special there would by 'Goodbye Goldstone' stamps, which would not only be on the commemorative cover but you could buy normally in the shops?

Am I getting there?

(I hope everyone else is paying attention, I'm not just asking these questions for the benefit of my health y'know).

spot on

we'll make a nerd of you yet :lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
ROSM said:
spot on

we'll make a nerd of you yet :lolol:
Well you learn something every day! Seriously, I'd never heard the word 'cover' referred to in that way before - but then I'm not a stamp collector.

Just one final point - Mr Wells said you should be able to get them from the club shop. So have they already been posted? Or do you effectively order one to be posted to you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here