Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

goldstone/amex

Mine

Odious Bureaucrat
Sep 16, 2011
Strange that it took so long to build. Unique in the dramatic twists and turns taken in winning the planning permission necessary to get it built. Wonderful in the look of the finished product.

You get the sense AMEX is a modern ground that will be around long after the other recently-built grounds are replaced. It represents more than a mere stadium to the fans; it is a symbol of triumph after years of desperate struggle against long odds.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Id swap back to the Goldstone in a heart beat (if terracing was aloud).

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
The Amex is imo a monument to everyone who fought tooth and nail for it. It is a testament to the fact that whatever is thrown at them, supporters will never let the club die. I am re-reading Build a Bonfire at the moment and just reading through and knowing what some did, makes me feel proud to support Brighton and Hove Albion.

I agree with Sid's post to a degree, only I would still be where we are now, but have terracing in the North stand. (although it doesn't make much difference to me, as I need a seat) But I think for North standers it would be the cherry on the top.

Amexican

May 21, 2011
Goldstone in 70's & 80's was where my love of football/Albion was born and bred...pay on the gate, terraces, North Stand banter etc ...couldn't beat it and part of our heritage...the enforced exile to Gillingham & Withdean is where we earned the right for what we have now. The Amex is brilliant and a different world. I loved the old terraces but the Amex is now the future for the Albion...and all the next generations of fans.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
In this context, Goldstone was my first love and will be close to my heart forever but we have moved on, and upwards.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
The Amex is obviously a real treat, and stunning...BUT....

....The North stand @ the Amex will NEVER be as good as the north stand at the Goldstone until if/when they allow a terrace to replace the seats....it will then be the ultimate ground :)

Imagine 10,000 fans crammed into that terrace in the North stand at the new gaff :)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The Amex is obviously a real treat, and stunning...BUT....

....The North stand @ the Amex will NEVER be as good as the north stand at the Goldstone until if/when they allow a terrace to replace the seats....it will then be the ultimate ground :)

Imagine 10,000 fans crammed into that terrace in the North stand at the new gaff :)
Yeah, my view is something like that. Overall I much prefer the Amex, at its best the Goldstone could only ever be described as 'small and quaint', and at it's worst, towards the end of its life, it was a decaying slum.

However the old packed, terraced North Stand was THE BEST, especially when we scored. Nothing at the Amex beats that. If I could put the old North Stand (with a roof!) into the Amex I think that would be the best of both worlds.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Id swap back to the Goldstone in a heart beat (if terracing was aloud).

well, i wouldn't - the Goldstone, at its best, was a ground well past its prime.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It was home. and had soul.

Now we have a new house.

Preferred the old place.

Times change.

Terracing in the North Stand at the Amex would make it about as good as it could get though.

And the Amex will have soul eventually don't forget. The Goldstone was new once.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
Times change.

Terracing in the North Stand at the Amex would make it about as good as it could get though.

And the Amex will have soul eventually don't forget. The Goldstone was new once.

I cant let go mate, just cant.

Forget nothing, forgive no one, when it comes to that place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here