Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Golden Boy awards.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Five of our under 21 year old players in the Golden Boy 100.

4 if you don’t count Osman who hasn’t really joined us yet.

Barcelona are the only other club with 4.

Quite outstanding recruitment/coaching.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
According to a couple of posters RDZ was an ego maniac who wanted to destroy the club for his own gain.
I said at the Man Utd game he has done a superb job with Beleba, he was all arms and legs when we first arrived with an occasional flash of talent.
He was a fantastic coach.
He was, shame he had no intention of hanging around if TB didn’t abandon his model and took his eye off the ball and got demotivated when he realised it wasn’t happening. I think he may have accepted there was nothing better out there latterly and found some focus again but TB had other ideas. Totally surmising with absolutely no proof btw, but then aren’t we all surmising in our opinion on this?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Anyone know how the players are selected?

As made up as I am for Hinshelwood, he only played a dozen or so games didn't he? And Ferguson was disappointing outside of the first month of the season. Is potential factored in as well as actual performances?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Anyone know how the players are selected?

As made up as I am for Hinshelwood, he only played a dozen or so games didn't he? And Ferguson was disappointing outside of the first month of the season. Is potential factored in as well as actual performances?
Hinshelwood is possibly the most exciting young Albion breakthrough player over those games I have ever seen, with Ferguson not far behind on late last season through to the Newcastle game until it all went pear shaped.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
According to a couple of posters RDZ was an ego maniac who wanted to destroy the club for his own gain.
I said at the Man Utd game he has done a superb job with Beleba, he was all arms and legs when we first arrived with an occasional flash of talent.
How many of these players would have been on the list of RDZ and his groupies would have gotten if they wanted?
"Backup left back, starting right back, two Caicedo/Alexis-class midfielders, and two world class subs for Mitoma and March".

If anything, the list indicate the strength of our model which RDZ wanted us to abandon for his 27-year-old Youtube-finds.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
He was, shame he had no intention of hanging around if TB didn’t abandon his model and took his eye off the ball and got demotivated when he realised it wasn’t happening. I think he may have accepted there was nothing better out there latterly and found some focus again but TB had other ideas. Totally surmising with absolutely no proof btw, but then aren’t we all surmising in our opinion on this?
Yep, such a shame he didn't realise how good he had it here. He was left alone to get on with his work, work with good young talent, get well paid and be around a bright, friendly club in a great city. He'll get good jobs again and will probably achieve short term success with a club who don't worry about long term stability but he will probably never have the freedom, patience and lack of scrutiny that he had here. Such a pity he couldn't quite appreciate that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Unless anyone was listening to private conversations it’s all speculation to what each party wanted or didn’t want.

Maybe the club plan to sell Mitoma this summer and that was a deal breaker, who knows?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Hinshelwood is possibly the most exciting young Albion breakthrough player over those games I have ever seen, with Ferguson not far behind on late last season through to the Newcastle game until it all went pear shaped.
I'm not doubting their talent. It's more a case of is 12 games enough to get you in the top 100 players in that age bracket in Europe?

It's probably more to do with I/we are now accustomed to seeing teenagers come in and play at a high level whereas it's probably a lot rarer in other teams/leagues. So much so that I can be blase about Hinshelwood's dozen games.

If you/anyone is interested, the full list of players can be found here:

I had a quick look. Couldn't find any palace on there...

Edit: Sadly this might not be the final list and a palace player might have slunk into the running. Boooo!

Last edited:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
There's only one keeper on that list, Gaga Slonina, and his stats don't seem as good as Bart Verbruggen, The Dutch number 1 who played 3 Europa league matches, kept 3 clean sheets with a 100% save percentage.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Unless anyone was listening to private conversations it’s all speculation to what each party wanted or didn’t want.

Maybe the club plan to sell Mitoma this summer and that was a deal breaker, who knows?
Of course it’s all guesswork and mine is that RDZ had more or less accepted things late in the season but TB had already decided a parting of the ways was in the long term interest of the club. The McKenna situation may have looked different at that time too :smile:

I think you are throwing a very long line out re Mitoma though.

phoenix

May 18, 2009

Perhaps you should remember this on some of your posts .

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Somewhat surprising choices, given the patchy form of Baleba, Buonanotte and Ferguson and the injuries of Hinsh.

If Hinsh is there, Enciso should be too. And Barco looks equally as exciting and came with a great reputation from Boca.

Osman, I know very little about apart from he keeps scoring goals in the Danish league.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I'm not doubting their talent. It's more a case of is 12 games enough to get you in the top 100 players in that age bracket in Europe?

It's probably more to do with I/we are now accustomed to seeing teenagers come in and play at a high level whereas it's probably a lot rarer in other teams/leagues. So much so that I can be blase about Hinshelwood's dozen games.

If you/anyone is interested, the full list of players can be found here:

I had a quick look. Couldn't find any palace on there...

Wharton at 14.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He was a fantastic coach. He wanted the club to kick on for footballing reasons, same as any real football fan would want. He was doing it for us, as well as himself. Sadly tho, the club's business model is at odds with a progressive football model. It's only going to get worse. And hiring a Yes Man, which is the only possible next appointment, will only accelerate the disparity between the two models

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And this is why we should remain calm about the future of our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here