Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Going UP to brighton?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Quite a few people I know, who are mainly London Bods, refer to travelling to Brighton as coming or going UP to Brighton.

Now call me an Intolerant Pedant but we are South of London (and most of GB) so anyone travelling form London will be coming or going DOWN to Brighton.

All maps and globes will confirm this.

Do these people need a geography lesson or is this a totally acceptable turn of phrase?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
i do that all the time though with various places:jester: but i am THICK

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
That really pisses me of when people say that not just about going to Brighton but anywhere if your going north it's up country and south is down country in my book, end of.

There fore Brighton to London would be - going up to London

or

London to Brighton would be going down to Brighton.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Yes, I happily sit with the pedants on this one too. I just :rolleyes: at my girlfriend when she talks about going "up to Torquay" for the weekend.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Billy the Fish said:
The earth is spherical, therefore there is no such thing as up or down.

Yes but it spins on an axis between the north and the south poles.

When a compass is shown or a map drawn North is always the top with the arrow pointing up.

I guess I am an Intolerant Pedant.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Quick history lesson for you. Two things the railways brought this country are firstly the same time everywhere in the country instead of local time, and secondly the notion that heading to London is always UP, and heading away from London is always DOWN.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Locky said:
I suppose it depends on which way up you think the world is...............

My relatives from cornwall always say "going up to Brighton" which I have always thought correct.

Thats the right term if you live in cornwall. Isn't it?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Curious Orange said:
Quick history lesson for you. Two things the railways brought this country are firstly the same time everywhere in the country instead of local time, and secondly the notion that heading to London is always UP, and heading away from London is always DOWN.

Thanks for that.

Backs up my thinking and a fascinating titbit.

:thumbsup:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
My sister keeps asking when I'm coming down to Manchester! As you can tell she's not doing Geography at Uni.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry but in my experience it's always been 'down' from anywhere south og London. However, when I was living up North the locals would always say that they were going 'up' to London as indeed I would from Sussex.

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
bhaexpress said:
Sorry but in my experience it's always been 'down' from anywhere south og London. However, when I was living up North the locals would always say that they were going 'up' to London as indeed I would from Sussex.

maybe going to a bigger town / city would be going up and going to a smaller place would be going down.

If thats the case we would be travelling down to smellhurst :)

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Locky said:
maybe going to a bigger town / city would be going up and going to a smaller place would be going down.

If thats the case we would be travelling down to smellhurst :)

Well we certain lopk DOWN on Selhurst especially when there's somebody playing at home don't we ?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Curious Orange said:
Presumably on the train?

Mostly yes but by ex inlaws would talk about coming down south to visit myself and the ex. They always drove but thankfully never brought their caravan with them.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In the north they all seem to say that they are going up to London if they are travelling there. When I say I am going down to Brighton they look at me very confused. If you simply explain that going in a southerly direction is down and a northerly direction is up they still cannot grasp the concept. Also if I am travelling in an easterly or westerly direction I'll say going over to , whereas a northerner will still say going up ( Now then, I'm travelling up to Eastbourne from Brighton tha know. )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here