Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Go a goal down...game over

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
This is becoming quite a worrying stat isn't it? That Donny game, the last time we have gone behind and come back to win the game. With this and the Lee Clark jinx it seemed inevitable what was gonna happen on Saturday as we ticked in to injury time.
With the options we have on the bench I would've thought turning the game our way should be a strong point for us but evidently not.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is becoming quite a worrying stat isn't it? That Donny game, the last time we have gone behind and come back to win the game. With this and the Lee Clark jinx it seemed inevitable what was gonna happen on Saturday as we ticked in to injury time.
With the options we have on the bench I would've thought turning the game our way should be a strong point for us but evidently not.

It's more, don't be 2 goals clear entering the last 15 minutes - throw it away.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I didn't realise that. To be fair we have often come from behind to get a point. I''m not sure we're lacking confidence and certainly with Vicente back, Lopez and Orlandi showing their worth and Ulloa to come, I'm feeling quite positive myself. Interesting stat nonetheless.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
It isnt game over though is it?

one down...........DRAW (not one down/lose which it would be if it was game over).

Bad research / bad stats

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The problems are:
- we sit back
- our goalkeepers choose to hoof the ball back to their keeper to give the opposition one last chance to mount an attack.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The problems are:
- we sit back
- our goalkeepers choose to hoof the ball back to their keeper to give the opposition one last chance to mount an attack.

We do sit back too far that's true, but the real problem is not getting a two goal lead when totally dominating the game. It's failure to score the goals when on top that has cost us points this season not the bad defending

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
It isnt game over though is it?

one down...........DRAW (not one down/lose which it would be if it was game over).

Bad research / bad stats

ha fair enough, should have titled it better. The fact that we have gone an entire season and 4 months without winning when going behind was the main point.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think it was the other way round last season though. We got loads of late goals and this year it's the opposite.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the monkey is off our bcak a bit now because prior to this last game we hadnt got a lead back after a goal down. that we threw it away late is a nother issue, the fact we kept going, away, to be in that position is a positive.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The FACT is that we have NOT gone on TO WIN when one (or two) down since the Donny game...so thats since August 2011.

Thats frankly NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Im not counting beating Wrexham on pens.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
i think the monkey is off our bcak a bit now because prior to this last game we hadnt got a lead back after a goal down. that we threw it away late is a nother issue, the fact we kept going, away, to be in that position is a positive.

We did against wolves.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's only happened three times this season hasn't it?

Birmingham 2-2, Zigic '90
Wolves 3-3, Johnson '90
Brighton 1-1 Ngog '90

Although had we not conceded those, we would be 5th in the league with a game in hand.

Bolton?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Is there any software (like RaceForm but for football) that you can query to see how many points we've lost/gained in injury time ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is there any software (like RaceForm but for football) that you can query to see how many points we've lost/gained in injury time ???

I don't know about websites, but according to my records:

Burnley we scored: 88min already 2-1 up, no points won.
Peterborough we scored: 90+2 at 0-0 gaining 2 points

Hull we conceded: 85min at 0-0, 1 point dropped
Huddersfield we conceded: 90mins at 2-0, 0 points dropped
Bolton we conceded: 90+5mins at 1-0, 2 points dropped
Birmingham we conceded: 90+2 at 1-0, 2 points dropped

Wolves
we scored: 89min making it 3-2. We conceded 90+1min making it 3-3. Do you consider that 2pts dropped or no difference?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The problems are:
- we sit back

Exactly this; why do they chose to go long at the end of the game? If keeping possession is what we aim for for 75 minutes, why not for the whole game?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
There are two teams on the pitch you know. When a team is a goal down with 15 minutes to go, they push up.

They push up in the first half just as much (admittedly some more than others) but we still retain the ball (why do you think some people still moan about passing sideway/backwards to the keeper?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here