• No

Votes: 51 32.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Perhaps not. But I cant honestly see Murray scoring 15, CMS scoring 15 and Barnes scoring 15, can you? That would be one hell of a season if they did.

I just cant see Gus playing Murray and CMS together, can you? Not regularly, or for any length of time, anyway.

Barnes just pretty much did it, and CMS wasn't that far behind. I think in a successful season, the following is realistic:

Murray 12
CMS 16
Barnes 18 (inc. pens)
Vicente 9
Crofts 7
Buckley 8
Kaz 4

and so on.

Why not? He used to start THREE strikers every game. Murray, Barnes, Wood. We would absolutely DICK teams.

Gus isn't naturally a defensive manager overall. I genuinely believe that. He just wanted to make us hard to beat FIRST at this level, exactly as he did at League One level. He's a much more patient and methodical manager than a lot give him credit for, due to his temperament.

He proved in the promotion season that once everythings' in place, he can be a very, very attacking manager.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Peterborough fans would probably say the same about CMS.

Does anybody honestly think that Glenn Murray is anything more than a reasonable Championship striker? And if not, then why are we worrying ourselves about him? I'll say it again, if he hadn't played for us before, and we were being linked with him now, people on here would be up in arms. Let's not forget that Billy Paynter scored nearly 30 goals in a season in League 1 (yes I know it's not all about scoring goals).

Point is we HAVE had him with us and know just how very good he can be in a Gus Poyet system.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham

Does anybody honestly think that Glenn Murray is anything more than a reasonable Championship striker? And if not, then why are we worrying ourselves about him? I'll say it again, if he hadn't played for us before, and we were being linked with him now, people on here would be up in arms. Let's not forget that Billy Paynter scored nearly 30 goals in a season in League 1 (yes I know it's not all about scoring goals).

Murray is more than just a goalscorer. He can head the ball (we don't seem to have any players who can). He can hold the ball up, bring other players into the game and more importantly can defend set piece's. If we had Murray for the first 2 games i think we may have won both

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This has nothing to do with what you quoted. Infact its a waste of bytes on this server, of course no-one would even suggest Murray played centre back, why would you need to clarify this?

It was a joke...

It was making the point that you can't just 'substitute' a player into a situation and say 'he would have scored that header'.

Murray may not have played the pass 3 minutes earlier which set off the whole sequence of events leading to that headed chance. Strikers dont follow the exact same patterns of movement.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Murray gets better and better the further it gets from when he turned us down for Palace. In six months he will be the man to lead us into the Champions League.

Not really. He was always a quality player for us at League One level. Some people only seem to be realising just how good he was as we haven't been able to replace him, despite people assuring as it would be easy.

Dec 29, 2011
It was a joke...

It was making the point that you can't just 'substitute' a player into a situation and say 'he would have scored that header'.

Murray may not have played the pass 3 minutes earlier which set off the whole sequence of events leading to that headed chance. Strikers dont follow the exact same patterns of movement.

But the quality of cross will be similar in different situations. I'm saying we have wingers who can cross the ball, but strikers that struggle to score easy headers. Murray would solve that problem.

Gus turfed Murray out and there is no way he will want him back - nor should he. We need to seek better than Murray can offer.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
12 months ago this thread would have been bizarre but shows how things change. We wouldn't be having this discussion if the clock isn't counting down on the transfer window and we now increasingly look like one of the few clubs to have not done any business meanwhile goals have dried up in our first 3 competitive games.

Until now I have been quietly hoping that TB and Gus have been trying to do deals below everyone else's radar and would announce a signing at the right moment. This is still my hope but fear that we are being priced out of most deals. I am now starting to think we could cut our losses and bring back Murray. He could be a relatively cost effective solution to our problem and really ought to benefit from Vicente, Crofts and the wide men supplying decent balls to him. Yes he will get some stick from certain quarters and hopefully he will respond in the right way. I did wonder if CPFC would like to frystrate any attempt to lure Murray to The Amex but guess they are not really in a position to turn down a reasonable offer especially if it gave them some cash to spend ahead of the deadline.

Would be rather sweet if Murray were to score the goal that sends Palace down next March.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
we now increasingly look like one of the few clubs to have not done any business .

We've signed a goalkeeper who was prem and champions league experience.
We have signed a right back who played in La liga last year.
We have signed a left back who has played for ENGLAND, CHELSEA and Man City and has played in the champions league.
We have signed a midfielder who made LOTS of prem appearances last season

What ARE you talking about?

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
Very true. Shall it be you or I that start the next one?
I think we should form a committee then we can talk shit (about murray coming back ) to each other legitimately. and start a new thread every hour, on the hour
(coz people will NEVER get tired of threads about murray after all he is a palace player)and we are on BBS
OH:rolleyes::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

Good point, if we'd never seen him in a Brighton shirt we wouldn't want him to sign now

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Muzza back... yes please, but I would still be looking to strengthen our team / squad... the latter is an ongoing process...

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Glen Murray will not be playing for us anytime soon. Gus will be the laughing stock of the Championship, letting him go on a free, then buying him back 12 months later potentially wasting more of his scarce budget. Gus is nobodies fool.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think he could get 10-14, but would also contribute a massive amount to CMS/Barnes etc. Murray was a big reason for Barnes scoring 20+ in League One, watch them back, the amount of goals he hands him on a plate is impressive. It's a very basic one dimensional way to view Murray only on how many goals HE would score alone.
So cms who was prolific in league 1 scores 35 odd goals and many more the seasons before gets 10 last season and you actually think murray who had one good season scoring 20 in league 1 will somehow out score cms and barnes if we had him?also he would assist loads for our other attacking players?
What world do some people live in?this is lazy league 1 glen murray we are talking about???

The obsession with this lazy donkey who also was injury prone for 2 years is unreal.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
I haven't read the whole thread , but playing devils advocate how much would you think it would cost to get him back ? And no we wouldn't want CMS as part of the deal !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here