Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hmmm. I did like him as a player when he was us, and I always thought his footballing brain and touch was considerably above the level we played at at the time. I'd have loved to have seen how he got on in the Championship, but it wasn't to be. From what various people are saying, he had a few financial worries, which were only alleviated by the prospect of a contract at another club, with a decent signing on fee and higher wages. The Albion offered him an improved contract from his original deal, but he was then made aware that Palace wanted him, and were prepared to pay the wages he was after. The Albion weren't, because they didn't want to break their wage structure for a player they perceived was good, but not so good he deserved that. Palace came in, he had no option but to sign for them (one assumes that because he signed for Palace, no other clubs came in for him).

Poyet understood that, and let's be honest, any of us would do the same in Murray's situation, especially with a family to look after. No bridges were burnt. When Murray set up one and scored one at the Amex, he never showed even the slightest hint of celebrating, in spite of all the booing and abuse he'd (understandably) taken from Albion fans. I thought that showed class, whatever his motives for it, and I bet that Palace fans were ever so slightly disappointed that he didn't accept the chance to give it the biggun and rub it in (their only disappointment of the entire night I guess).

No, he's not proven at this level, and had a miserable season at Selhurst, but in mitigation, they were a poor side who barely created a chance, and most of their fans were supportive of his efforts, recognising that he was fighting a losing battle against Freedman's negative tactics. We, on the other hand, know what he's about and what he's capable of. Poyet evidently knows how to get the best out of him.

Presumably he'd command a fee at this stage, which would be my only reservation about signing him back. I would not want to see us pay money (or at least any decent sum of money) to Palace for a player who essentially failed for them last season. If Murray was available on a free, or for a cheeky fee, then game on, he'd be the ideal bargain basement pick-up and we'd have nothing to lose by bringing him back. If Palace wanted £500k, say, I'd tell them to jog on, as it would be too much for us to risk.

I should add that all of the above only applies on the basis that we also sign a "proper" proven Championship striker as well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I don't know why everyone wastes so much time arguing about whether Murray was great/good/average/terrible for us during his time here or about his reasons for going to Palace. For me, the only thing that matters is that he is not a Championship player. He scored SIX goals last season. Six. If we were signing a striker from, let's say, Millwall who scored six times last season everyone would be asking what the hell is going on. So let's not lower ourselves to looking at such poor players by our standards and instead focus on building a quality side. If that means we don't sign a striker, I can live with that and I still think we'll do well.

Spot on

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Maybe. But let's face it, GM is coming up for his 29th birthday and he's got one good season in the third division to his name. Also, he may have scored 22 goals for us in the promotion season, but I believe a clinical finisher would have scored FORTY. It was ridiculous how many chances we missed in home matches. We had so many two-goal wins that could easily have been 5-0 because the rest of our team was so good. There is no evidence this is a man who will fire any team to the EPL, and for that reason I'm out.

Completely agree the absolute height of his abilities is going to be as a mid table championship now. Just saying I think he's better than a 6-goal-a-season tag suggests.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Completely agree the absolute height of his abilities is going to be as a mid table championship now. Just saying I think he's better than a 6-goal-a-season tag suggests.

Probably right, but if he was keen, fit, and available for peanuts, I can't help feeling he would be an astute addition to the squad. I'm not suggesting that he should be our key signing, and I'd certainly want another proven striker as the main man, but I really don't think he'd be a bad acquisition as a free or near enough.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I do agree that our sights should be higher than Murray now, but criticising his 6 goals isn't a fair argument as he was stuck playing in a team that didn't play to his style and was ultra negative (words of the Palace fans themselves)

They're trying to make the club as self sufficient as possible, which is only to be applauded. At the same time they are trying to convince the fans that "they are giving promotion a real go" this year and upping wage bills by up to £40k, instead of being a bit more honest and admitting they are having to cut back.

I think it's that, that has annoyed some of their fans

In footballing circles 40,000 a week is peanuts what is there weekly wage bill

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Hmmm. I did like him as a player when he was us, and I always thought his footballing brain and touch was considerably above the level we played at at the time. I'd have loved to have seen how he got on in the Championship, but it wasn't to be. From what various people are saying, he had a few financial worries, which were only alleviated by the prospect of a contract at another club, with a decent signing on fee and higher wages. The Albion offered him an improved contract from his original deal, but he was then made aware that Palace wanted him, and were prepared to pay the wages he was after. The Albion weren't, because they didn't want to break their wage structure for a player they perceived was good, but not so good he deserved that. Palace came in, he had no option but to sign for them (one assumes that because he signed for Palace, no other clubs came in for him).

Poyet understood that, and let's be honest, any of us would do the same in Murray's situation, especially with a family to look after. No bridges were burnt. When Murray set up one and scored one at the Amex, he never showed even the slightest hint of celebrating, in spite of all the booing and abuse he'd (understandably) taken from Albion fans. I thought that showed class, whatever his motives for it, and I bet that Palace fans were ever so slightly disappointed that he didn't accept the chance to give it the biggun and rub it in (their only disappointment of the entire night I guess).

No, he's not proven at this level, and had a miserable season at Selhurst, but in mitigation, they were a poor side who barely created a chance, and most of their fans were supportive of his efforts, recognising that he was fighting a losing battle against Freedman's negative tactics. We, on the other hand, know what he's about and what he's capable of. Poyet evidently knows how to get the best out of him.

Presumably he'd command a fee at this stage, which would be my only reservation about signing him back. I would not want to see us pay money (or at least any decent sum of money) to Palace for a player who essentially failed for them last season. If Murray was available on a free, or for a cheeky fee, then game on, he'd be the ideal bargain basement pick-up and we'd have nothing to lose by bringing him back. If Palace wanted £500k, say, I'd tell them to jog on, as it would be too much for us to risk.

I should add that all of the above only applies on the basis that we also sign a "proper" proven Championship striker as well.

Thanks Edna - agree totally with this, saved me having to write it!

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Played tonight, won a penalty. Did well.

I'm a big fan of Glenn, but he didn't get many starts last season because we were so defensive. So far (although only in pre-season) we look to be quite a bit more attacking. He played well tonight and has played fantastically before, but when he doesn't get the service you have to feel sorry for him.

We play quite a direct style and seem to use him as more of a target man, which doesn't seem to suit him. Against Wigan in the cup was one of the best CF performances I've seen at Palace, because he was consistently fed the ball.

He definitely has a future at Palace, and I really hope that this is his season, we've just got to play to his strengths.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Played tonight, won a penalty. Did well.

I'm a big fan of Glenn, but he didn't get many starts last season because we were so defensive. So far (although only in pre-season) we look to be quite a bit more attacking. He played well tonight and has played fantastically before, but when he doesn't get the service you have to feel sorry for him.

We play quite a direct style and seem to use him as more of a target man, which doesn't seem to suit him. Against Wigan in the cup was one of the best CF performances I've seen at Palace, because he was consistently fed the ball.

He definitely has a future at Palace, and I really hope that this is his season, we've just got to play to his strengths.

''play to his strengths'' ..hmmm..ive heard that phrase before.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here