Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Baffles me that people still think we let him go, when we offered him a new contract...

You mean Murray? We offered him a contract, he was offered a much more lucrative one by Palace (i.e. £300k signing on fee) - in his financial situation he had pretty much no choice. He didn't want to leave.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wether we let him go or not, we are not going to pay a substantial fee for someone we didnt think was worth the money he was after a year ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wether we let him go or not, we are not going to pay a substantial fee for someone we didnt think was worth the money he was after a year ago.

If Palace are financially stretched (they are), and Murray is not performing for them (he's not) then they'd probably let him go for free, to get him off the wage bill. Whether we could compromise with Murray over wage demands, is another matter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Palace are financially stretched (they are), and Murray is not performing for them (he's not) then they'd probably let him go for free, to get him off the wage bill.

I'd be interested to hear a Palace fans take on that, I imagine however logical you might think that is, it has no chance of happening like that even if we were in talks with their owners, who are also Seagull despising fans apparently.

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Palace are financially stretched (they are), and Murray is not performing for them (he's not) then they'd probably let him go for free, to get him off the wage bill. Whether we could compromise with Murray over wage demands, is another matter.

A lot of Ifs in there, and then your assuming we actually want him..... if they are broke they will want a fee...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

He would probably leap like a salmon to snatch whatever we originally offered. It would be in his best interest to return rather than play out the final season of his contract in L1.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

CPFC were claiming they were willing to increase the wage bill by £40,000 a week though, which seems inconsistent with wanting GM off the wage bill...........unless they are telling porkies of course!

I'd be interested to hear a Palace fans take on that, I imagine however logical you might think that is, it has no chance of happening like that even if we were in talks with their owners, who are also Seagull despising fans apparently.

As it happens, Browett (one of CPFC2010) is a great admirer of Tony Bloom and what he's done here.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
CPFC were claiming they were willing to increase the wage bill by £40,000 a week though, which seems inconsistent with wanting GM off the wage bill...........unless they are telling porkies of course!

"willing" is the operative word :lol:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

They seem very good at feeding the fans little soundbites like that, things that can't actually be proved, or are easy to hide behind when it doesn't materialise , e.g. 'oh the deal fell through at the last minute but we were after X,Y and Z'. Like the whole McCormack saga.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
They seem very good at feeding the fans little soundbites like that, things that can't actually be proved, or are easy to hide behind when it doesn't materialise , e.g. 'oh the deal fell through at the last minute but we were after X,Y and Z'. Like the whole McCormack saga.

It is very reminiscent of some of the stuff Dick Knight* used to come out with at Withdean during transfer windows. It would seem there is no money there for them, just like it used to be for us.

* This is not me having a go at our saviour it is just that when you are a cashed strapped football club you do have to say certain things to maintain optimism.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I agree - they would be far more likely to let him leave for free, if it were to any other club but us.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

They have been trying to drum up season ticket sales. They certainly aren't going to say that they are cutting costs or reducing the wage bill. It wouldn't be that unpopular with the Palace fans if he was let go either judging by their opinions of him.

Having said that, I find it unlikely he will re-appear here, but not out of the question.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is very reminiscent of some of the stuff Dick Knight* used to come out with at Withdean during transfer windows. It would seem there is no money there for them, just like it used to be for us.

but the owners are all BILLIONAIRES, there must be money ???

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I don't know why everyone wastes so much time arguing about whether Murray was great/good/average/terrible for us during his time here or about his reasons for going to Palace. For me, the only thing that matters is that he is not a Championship player. He scored SIX goals last season. Six. If we were signing a striker from, let's say, Millwall who scored six times last season everyone would be asking what the hell is going on. So let's not lower ourselves to looking at such poor players by our standards and instead focus on building a quality side. If that means we don't sign a striker, I can live with that and I still think we'll do well.

I do agree that our sights should be higher than Murray now, but criticising his 6 goals isn't a fair argument as he was stuck playing in a team that didn't play to his style and was ultra negative (words of the Palace fans themselves)

but the owners are all BILLIONAIRES, there must be money ???

They're trying to make the club as self sufficient as possible, which is only to be applauded. At the same time they are trying to convince the fans that "they are giving promotion a real go" this year and upping wage bills by up to £40k, instead of being a bit more honest and admitting they are having to cut back.

I think it's that, that has annoyed some of their fans

Last edited:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Assuming Palace "sold" Murray to us the fee would be undisclosed. I can't see it happening anyway.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
As we replaced him with CMS, who, in my opinion is not as good a footballer (although he has an infinitely better work ethic), I would be happy to see him back to replace CMS if we can move him on. If we did that, we would still be left looking for the main striker, but the "target man" option for certain games or the bench would be covered. You never know, with more competition, he may try hard all of the time?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Maybe. But let's face it, GM is coming up for his 29th birthday and he's got one good season in the third division to his name. Also, he may have scored 22 goals for us in the promotion season, but I believe a clinical finisher would have scored FORTY. It was ridiculous how many chances we missed in home matches. We had so many two-goal wins that could easily have been 5-0 because the rest of our team was so good. There is no evidence this is a man who will fire any team to the EPL, and for that reason I'm out.

This. Murray went for the ££££. My advice to him would be to sit it out, collect the cash then head north to a tinpot team and collect a few grand a week playing below Championship standard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here