Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glastonbury Highlights thread

I got back at 3 a.m this morning. Top time, mud was mental (I even bought wellies for the 1st time in my adult life!), left my tent in the field (that's Rick n' Roll!).

Just wondered what my fellow festival goers saw as being their highlights? Also, wondered what the TV viewing public deemed to be creme de la creme?

For me:

Tim Booth (ex James frontman) - legend as he stopped me having to go and see McCartney!

Keane - v good live.

Franz Ferdinand - looked like they were good, but sound was sh*t as the wind was blowing really hard and I was near the back.

Ocean Colour Scene - in the accoustic tent, doing all their old hits - fantastic.

Muse - seen them before and was blown away, this time was even better. :clap:

New Bands - Hope of the States were excellent, as were the Ordinary Boys (should please Mr Morris & Co!).

Missed but would like to have seen - Supergrass (but as I saw them a bout 3 weeks ago I thought I would see some other stuff), The Delays (realised I would not make it through the mud in time as when I realised the time they were already about 5 mins in to the set and I was an age away), Black Rebel Motorcycle club (seen them 3 times before, so, again, decided to do other stuff), The Zutons (I was lugging stuff up to the car in preparation for a post Muse hasty exit).

So, what did it for you?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Didn't go. Saw The Go-Betweens at the Barbican on Sunday night instead. Marvellous.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Highlights

Supergrass
Oasis
Buck 65
Basement Jaxx
Slippery Dicks Love Shack (some bar we stumbled across in the middle of nowhere near the Lost Vagueness)

(struggles to remember who else he saw)

GoldieLookin Chain
Some weird band in the comedy tent
The fact that our shitty tent stayed up the whole time
Cider
When the sun came out on saturday and loads of scagheads started dancing around to 'Shake what yo momma gave ya'.

Disappointments (very very slight mind)

The Ordinary Boys (probably too far back but they lacked punch)
Kings of Leon
The Rapture

Overall a top, top weekend.

Verdict 8/10*

*Marvellous scenes

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What a top weekend, even the mud didnt seem to ruin anything.

Didnt see half as many bands as I was planning to but highlights were:

Zero 7 - flawless lush tunage with super fit vocalists
Orbital - last gig and what a corker
Goldie Looking Chain
Lamb - last ever gig again and the lead singer started crying ahhh
Franz Ferdinand - I though they were pretty good
GOmez
Starsailor
and Adam Freeland and Fabio on the Radio 1 stage
Bez in the Red Bull tent with DJ on Sunday night after the stages finished.
Oh and Fat Boy at the glade.

Oh and Black eyed peas were crap.

Did anyone go up to the Lost Vagueness fields? What a top place albeit totally off the wall.

I met someone in an Albion shirt in the glade tent on the Thursday night, anyone here?

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Lost Vagueness fields were marvellous.

Missed Fatboy at the Glade because of Oasis and the queue to get off the Pyramid field. Quite annoying although we still managed to stumble into something rather good that evening. Can't remember what though.

Oh yeah, I managed to go from arrival on Wednesday to Monday morning without visiting the shitter, but when I did! Whoa, what a MONSTER!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
The Lost Vagueness fields were marvellous.

Missed Fatboy at the Glade because of Oasis and the queue to get off the Pyramid field. Quite annoying although we still managed to stumble into something rather good that evening. Can't remember what though.

Oh yeah, I managed to go from arrival on Wednesday to Monday morning without visiting the shitter, but when I did! Whoa, what a MONSTER!

ps Who was watching the England gameon Thursday at the Pyramid stage on the right hand side? Two blokes with the Stripes on and an England flag, anyone know?

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Didn't catch many tv highlights but Muse were hair-standing-up- on-the-back-of-your-neck good on telly last night.
Black-eyed Peas weren't.

Like to hear any reports on Goldie looking Chain. "Man at Matalan' chavs from the 'port: more in common with The Beastie Boys than The Streets?

You knows it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was extremely surprised by the GLC, they played the Dance tent which is (interestingly) the biggest tent in Europe and I thought they would struggle because of the size (even if the sound was LOUD) but they cruised through the set with ease, really got the crowd going and put on arguably the best set I saw apart from Supergrass. It's just a shame that Ozomatli were moved to the Jazz tent afterwards because that would have been a great follow up.

Anyway, they have great deal more on common with the Beasties of the late eighties than they do with The Streets. The boyish humour mixed in with intelligent beats (IMHO) and a heck of a lot of partyin inside them is a great formula for a hip hop act. They should go far but will probably be dismissed by the media as jokers, which would be a terrible waste.

Grunty

Jan 16, 2004
Worthing
GOLDFRAPP WERE SUPERB AS USUAL.

The sound for FRanz FERDINAND before was bollocks.

Chumbawuba at 2 in the morning was a laugh.

James Brown was a waste of time.

The Rutles were light relief.

Suzanne Vega was good.

SNOW PATROL A SUPRISING HIGHLIGHT.

MUSE FANTASTIC BUT I WAS KNACKERED.

I am proud to say that Hazel o Connor was enjoyable, hadnt seen her since 1981!!!!

TOOTS AND THE MAYTALS worth walking out of MACCA for .

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
from what i saw on tv supergrass were brilliant. but the performance of the festival (that i saw) without a doubt would have to go to muse.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I did not go but Ordinary Boys are ace and if someone said they lacked punch, I would imagine it was because of the venue. They are best at small, tight venues.
Franz Ferdinand are great live, but again, sounds like the venue spoilt the sound.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Richie Morris said:
I did not go but Ordinary Boys are ace and if someone said they lacked punch, I would imagine it was because of the venue. They are best at small, tight venues.
Franz Ferdinand are great live, but again, sounds like the venue spoilt the sound.

Yeah I reckon that's the case. I kinda like the Ordinary Boys. They just seemed, well, ordinary.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Shit, Muse's drummer's dad died 45 minutes after they finished their self proclaimed 'best gig ever' at Gasltonbury, on site.

RIP

:(

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Tim Booth did a good set in the New Tent.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Fatboy Slim played in Lost Vagueness, not the Glade. I made that mistake, turned up at Glade, only to hear he was elsewhere. Agggh!

Bloody great Glasto all in all. Thought Supergrass and Oasis were great, as were Von Bondies, Ordinary Boys, though was underwhelmed by Franz Ferdinand unfortunately. Best for me though, was Saturday night / Sunday morning, 6am, dancing outside a shop that had put up a funky house sound system. About 60 of us there, ace!

Great to see and say a brief hello to all the Albion there. Top one chaps and chappettes!

:wave:

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
What a festival! My First Glasto but I've been to loads of other festivals including in Spain and Ireland but this was the best by far.

Highlights:

Muse - Seen them 4 times before but this was the best yet. The best live band on the planet??? I think so

Longview - On the new bands stage. The set of their lives

Oasis - Not there best set but still very good but both new songs were shite

Snow Patrol - First time i've seen them and they were pretty good

Damien Rice - Beautiful stuff

The Killers - Packed tent and a storming set

Morrisey - Class although he wasn't in a great mood but when is he???

There were loads of other that I can't think of right now.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
eastlondonseagull said:
Fatboy Slim played in Lost Vagueness, not the Glade. I made that mistake, turned up at Glade, only to hear he was elsewhere. Agggh!

Quelle suprise!

I probably would've missed him anyway, we didn't get to the Glade till gone 2 somehow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here