Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gillingham game

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Hi i went to the game last night and the first half very frustrating, i thought we gave them way to much space and time on the ball, the formation and way played let them have better chances than us and really didnt look like the home side.
We didnt press them enough, and half time really own positives was that Revell looked tidy but couldnt work out why was playing him right wing really and hart in middle. (love harty as he works his socks off but he is not a centre forward, buggered up a real chance and flashed at ball, he also is not strong enough or a danger, it's wierd as i would think where revell played would be harts best position, as good taking men on and putting crosses in, revell looked like good see when a shot was on, just needs to get more accurute.
Lynch also solid, after the break i thought we didnt play so many long balls and played some very nice passes to the wing, especially to robinson, he looked quality (not been biggest fan of as think bit 2 flash and no need product) but yesterday every time got ball you got excited and thought come on, also thought stokes worked hard and won some good tackles.
Lynch was brillant how didnt get man of match was a joke, CARPENTER WHAT, he was average id say, lynch has just gotta learn not to wanna win everything as he was winning headers in half way line and going ahead of midfield and that was a why we got torn open for 4 good chances by them and Al Abds, poor positioning but he made up for with some tough and workmanlike blocks, Mcshane started same way went for 100% of things then learnt as if get beaten breaks a big hole in defence.
I thought overall a good win but they were poor side, i cant believe there fans outsung us hehe, awful fans, small club, crap stadium and they make more noise than us, but thats withdean, i think they will be bottom part of table.
But all we can do is win, some big positives come out of, robinson, lynch, revell and Henderson (looked quality on crosses and put confidence in him, via shots stopped.)
But defence was bit dodgy, mayo and reid had poor games defensively, and al abd as said got 2 excited and his positioning was poor, but his attitude got him to play quite well in end but the better teams will take most of his errors and our poor passing at times which gave them chances, but as said at end we played some good stuff, nice short passing and quick.
What you think of my comments ? also i am sad to here kazim asked for transfer as mcghee hasnt given a chance, was top scorer as remember last year, some quality goals, and looks raw talent, then we f*** around and play hart instead of, come on hart will not score 2 goals a year, who wouldnt be depressed by that, i dont blame him and i feel is a mistake by Mcghee, 1 for buying him if he says his attitude and not upto it, not good research to waste £100,000 on him, 2 he is young and never played him in more than 3 games in row, no chance to really impress, then this season not starting and playing a non forward instead, i feel Mcghee hasnt got a clue in market or in general how to play as tactics is in general pretty poor.
Grades for last night
Henderson 8
Reid 6
Mayo 5
Al abd 7
Lynch 9 (mom)
robinson 8
stokes 7
carpenter 7
revell 8
hart 7
hammond 6

subs gatting 6 (be nice to see this year as i think has got it, brillant goalscorer in youths) frutos 6 (why sign him if not going to play him, not that good i dont think anyway) loft 6 (heard is attacking player why not pick him instead of hammond who has poor passing ability and doesnt offer much to team, especially play him at home and give a attacking link and giving him a opportunity to shine.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I cant believe you've only rated Mayo a 5!He finally got it right last night and was one of the best performances he's put in for a long time:clap: :bowdown:

And in future,it's El-Abd

Last edited:

fliddy mcflid

Jul 29, 2006
how did hammond get a 6 in your opinion?

Hammond is possibly the biggest pile of wank to ever put on the stripes

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
There fans didnt outsing us. From the East stand the South stand sounded very good actually.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Yeah i think Hammond isnt much good either thats why he got 2nd worst grade, he gave the ball away too often with some awful passing, didnt work hard enough or seem to want it, he just offers nothing to me thats why i said we should pick loft instead but Mcghee seems to love him, never drops hammond, i thought mayo worked quite hard, his posiitoning again dodgy, gave the ball away, he sliced some clearances for throw ins, didnt get forward and support, he didnt win tackles, i thought he was dodgy and i was worried when come down his side, sorry to disagree but i thought mayo is a real weak link.
but big pluses to Robinson, Lynch, Revell and Henderson and i agree Al Abd could be good in future and wanst bad just he is inexperienced and got us in a bit of a mess due to positioning but his effort saved us so good on the lad and got some guts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
fliddy mcflid said:

Oh do behave, there are loads of players to have played for us that are worse than Hammond, he's out of form at the moment. When in form he is a decent player.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Originally posted by fliddy mcflid Hammond is possibly the biggest pile of wank to ever put on the stripes

Balderdash, absolute twaddle. You obviously never witnessed the joys of Hilton, Mahoney-Johnson, or Neale.

As for Reid, I thought he did fine at right back. A few lapses in concentration but overall pretty solid. I think he will be a very important player for us this season.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
fliddy mcflid said:

A post from a dickhead

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the 1st half was one of the most boring that I have seen but the second half improved but my overall impression was that it was a hard workman like performance that lacked any skill or flair and very little to excite me.

25 similar results will get us up 25 similar performances will get MM the sack as per Mike Bailey in his days in Div 1 when we were 7th but he got the sack as the performances were boring and the Albions fickle fans didnt like the performances on the field.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:
I think that the 1st half was one of the most boring that I have seen but the second half improved but my overall impression was that it was a hard workman like performance that lacked any skill or flair and very little to excite me.

When was the last time you got excited??

We played some neat stuff and passed the ball about more often than we have done in the past. The Gills packed out their defence and it was always going to be tough to break them down regularly.

I would say the game was far more entertaining than most of the games last season.

Were we watching different games???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BarrelofFun said:
When was the last time you got excited??

We played some neat stuff and passed the ball about more often than we have done in the past. The Gills packed out their defence and it was always going to be tough to break them down regularly.

As I said a hard workmanlike performance lacking flair and excitement.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
At least we tried to keep it on the deck - rather than hoofing it everytime. The only hoofing was calculated in as much as we were aming for Revell who had a distinct height advantage over the left back

Sid James

Nov 14, 2005
BensGrandad said:
As I said a hard workmanlike performance lacking flair and excitement.

Welcome back BG, it's nice to have your brand of REALISM again.

Know what you are saying, it was certainly hard working but I did see some creativity and flair as well. Shame you didn't.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
BensGrandad said:

25 similar results will get us up 25 similar performances will get MM the sack as per Mike Bailey in his days in Div 1 when we were 7th but he got the sack as the performances were boring and the Albions fickle fans didnt like the performances on the field.

Blah, blah, blah.. drek, drek, drek. That was 1981, this is 2006. No comparison whatsoever. And as for being boring, you are the only person who was at the game that I've spoken to that thought that.

You really are very very boring.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
BensGrandad said:

It is more of a business these days. 25 boring (not that it sounded boring) 1-0 wins is better then 25 end to end high scoring 4-3 losses.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
If its so boring f-off to Brazil or something. This is the Albion. You don't watch the Albion expecting excitment. You expect hoof ball, rain and defeats. :jester:

garethjamesuk said:
Revell looked tidy but couldnt work out why was playing him right wing really and hart in middle. ......i feel Mcghee hasnt got a clue in market or in general how to play as tactics is in general pretty poor.

Revell has been playing out wide to exploit his height against smaller full-backs. Against bigger central defenders, he might not have been so effective. Perhaps McGhee is a better tactician than you think?

Agree with you that the Gills fans were good value early on but the big test is always when your team concede a goal. They deflated pretty quickly and somewhat comically.

Last edited:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Turkey said:
If its so boring f-off to Brazil or something. This is the Albion. You don't watch the Albion expecting excitment. You expect hoof ball, rain and defeats. :jester:

:lolol: But true

I wonder sometimes who these people think they are watching!

I love our Samba football!

:lolol:

Sid James said:
Welcome back BG, it's nice to have your brand of REALISM again.

Know what you are saying, it was certainly hard working but I did see some creativity and flair as well. Shame you didn't.

Agreed, it was a mixed performance, no one should be criticised for pointing out a few shortcomings in it but to ignore the positives is what gets BG his slightly curmudgeonly reputation.

As regards flair and playing football, I thought we did OK. The Gills never trusted themselves one pass in their own half, we were far more balanced than that, we tried to take the ball up but we didn't take unnecessary risks either and so played some long balls when the occasion demanded. But for large parts of the match we were the only team trying to play a passing game.

A 4-3-3 is an attacking formation. There was some classy play on show whenever Stokes, Reid or Robinson had the ball at their feet. Cox I think would improve us even more so on that front.

What I thought on Tuesday is that we were slightly less impressive defensively on Tuesday than we were at Rotherham. Sometimes the Gills midfield did get too much space, we had particular problems whenever their tricky forward McDonald got the ball and we found it difficult to contain him. Hendo got us out of jail more than once. We rode our luck a little but maybe the class of the goalkeeper you don't put down to luck, but ability.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Gillingham game

London Irish said:
Revell has been playing out wide to exploit his height against smaller full-backs. Against bigger central defenders, he might not have been so effective. Perhaps McGhee is a better tactician than you think?
By that I assume you mean arriving for crosses at the back post, because playing high balls to someone on the wing is ridiculous. You want to exploit peoples lack of pace on the wings, not lack of height.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here