Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting rid of unwanted coppers....

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
....and I don't mean the Old Bill, this time.
I must have half a bucketful of 1p, 2p coins that I can't be bothered to count out. Weighing them in for scrap is no good, as most are ferrous. Ideally they would go to charity but where is the best place to take them?
Does any charity still come round collecting?
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
if you cant find a charity to give them to you could always take them to asda hollinbury they have a machine that counts it for you and gives you a receipt that is store credit so you can do u shopping.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
A lot of big supermarkets have machines where you pour your change in and it gives you a voucher to the value, minus a fee, around 7.9%. The voucher can be used in-store or converted to cash at the customer service desk...:rolleyes:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
A lot of big supermarkets have machines where you pour your change in and it gives you a voucher to the value, minus a fee, around 7.9%. The voucher can be used in-store or converted to cash at the customer service desk...:rolleyes:

Blimey, didn't know they took a cut for that service.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The only way to get rid of them is in a coinstar machine at a local supermarket. Coppers are only legal tender up to 20p , over that amount it can be refused by the retailer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
When I buy my Times on the way to work I always try to profer the correct remuneration and I would recommend this as a solution. I'm sure most small retailers would welcome a small percentage of payment in the form of Copper coinage offloaded on a daily basis.

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
Good idea, but no. If I had to count out 90p for a Times, I may as well do another 10p and cash it in at a bank?

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
The 8% they take (ASDA), goes to charity...

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
When I buy my Times on the way to work I always try to profer the correct remuneration and I would recommend this as a solution. I'm sure most small retailers would welcome a small percentage of payment in the form of Copper coinage offloaded on a daily basis.

If you were to also buy a copy of Whopper Melons Monthly, that would account for another £4.99 :p

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good idea, but no. If I had to count out 90p for a Times, I may as well do another 10p and cash it in at a bank?

Go to the bank and change 80p in coppers up in to 20p pieces then when you go to the newsagent add 10p in coppers and bob is very much your uncle !

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
If you were to also buy a copy of Whopper Melons Monthly, that would account for another £4.99 :p

Or of course I could always collect millions of the bastards, weld 'em all together, and build a house.
A bit off-topic, but is it the 1983 2p, or 1984 2p that is worth all the big money if it has "NEW PENCE" on it?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't know that either. Good, I'm glad.

It doesn't , the commission is charged for using the machine by the provider , Coinstar , with an option to donate (red button) what you've put in to go to charity.

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009
It doesn't , the commission is charged for using the machine by the provider , Coinstar , with an option to donate (red button) what you've put in to go to charity.

Very confusing. Seems that if you give £1 to anybody "for charity" -99p of it gets eaten by some greedy fat git somewhere, paperwork, administration, costs etc.....blah blah....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I just chuck mine into a piggy bank and then once it gets full I get some change bags from my bank and cash them in.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Very confusing. Seems that if you give £1 to anybody "for charity" -99p of it gets eaten by some greedy fat git somewhere, paperwork, administration, costs etc.....blah blah....
Charities have to state what % of your donation is going to be used for expenses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here