Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Get rid of away strips...

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
... and lets return to having change strips.

I like to see us play in the blue and white stripes and I can think of no reason why we should wear them when playing away to teams that don't play in blue.
There are plenty of teams that stay with their colours home and away and only change when there is a clash.
There are so many teams that play in blue that there is still ample reason for us to buy a change shirt so the club shouldn't lose revenue, but I want us to play in 'our colours' whenever possible.

:love:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What, like Liverpool playing in white and black today against a team who play in blue and white? They could easily wear their normal red, albeit with different coloured socks.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The low point was reached last season when we had no less than three kits and still managed to clash with whoever it was we were playing away. We had suffer the indignity of borrowing kit off the opposition. Which was beyond a crap thing to have to do. At that moment the game was up and you knew 100% that the three kits thing was a purely commercial decision rather than a football decision.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Couldn't agree more - this has bugged me for years too. The ONLY reason for not playing in our stripes should be a colour clash that made it difficult for referee and players to distinguish between the sides.

We don't even need always to change if playing against a team with blue colours - an all-blue strip would be perfectly distinguishable from our stripes, especially as we no longer have the all covering mud-bath pitches we used to have in the seventies.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
The low point was reached last season when we had no less than three kits and still managed to clash with whoever it was we were playing away. At that moment the game was up and you knew 100% that the three kits thing was a purely commercial decision rather than a football decision.

Was Leicester weren't it? Because we had to wear their away kit. Shambles.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I like the idea of a dedicated away strip. I think you should only play your home kit away if your away kit clashes.

Old git alert ...

When I was a lad, following Newport County, who play in black and amber, I remember that on the rare occasions when there was a clash of colours (i.e games against Hull City or Wolverhampton Wanderers - not that WW ever happened in those days), County used to borrow a set of kit off Cardiff City.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I like the idea of a dedicated away strip. I think you should only play your home kit away if your away kit clashes.

Why not just go the whole hog, then - make it the rule that the home side always plays in red, the away side always plays in blue?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I agree that we should play whenever possible in our blue and white stripes if you add in our red and black kit there is no time that we should need a 3rd strip by utalising the white and black shorts if they were plain without added colours and the same with the socks. The third strip if desperately needed could be white which again with the different shorts would give us 4 kits. The 3rd kit shirt should be ongoing for the duration of a sponsors contract.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why not just go the whole hog, then - make it the rule that the home side always plays in red, the away side always plays in blue?

erm... what? How do you go from me thinking a team should play in their away strip when they are away, to generic home/away colours that are unilaterally applied?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I think, in the early days of the professional game, it was once seriously proposed that all games should involve one team in red and the other in white to avoid any colour clash. Thankfully, it was rejected.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Old git alert ...

When I was a lad, following Newport County, who play in black and amber, I remember that on the rare occasions when there was a clash of colours (i.e games against Hull City or Wolverhampton Wanderers - not that WW ever happened in those days), County used to borrow a set of kit off Cardiff City.

Oh, them were the days! :wink:

Did Baaaahdiff ever do the ol' itching-powder in the shorts trick?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I think, in the early days of the professional game, it was once seriously proposed that all games should involve one team in red and the other in white to avoid any colour clash. Thankfully, it was rejected.

An idea adopted by the NFL where the home team wears their colours while the visitors wear white. But they're funny like that.

I think we should wear our FIRST kit (let's not call it the 'home kit') whenever we can, and the ALTERNATE kit (not 'away kit') when the occasion requires.

Jamon Jamon

Mar 25, 2008
My twopenneth, We should wear the stripes on every opportunity, our change kit should remain the same season after season to establish a bit of instant recognition (if you know I mean) In the olden days Arsenal always used to wear blue n yellow, you could tell from a distance who it was, QPR red n black, Leeds yellow, trying to think of some more examples but i'd know em if you showed me the colours

PS Coventry should have stuck with that brown one, classic!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My twopenneth, We should wear the stripes on every opportunity, our change kit should remain the same season after season to establish a bit of instant recognition (if you know I mean) In the olden days Arsenal always used to wear blue n yellow, you could tell from a distance who it was, QPR red n black, Leeds yellow, trying to think of some more examples but i'd know em if you showed me the colours

PS Coventry should have stuck with that brown one, classic!

I completely agree about instantly recognisable change kit. Maybe ours should be chocolate brown.

Here's Coventry's chocolate brown kit in action at the Goldstone...

[yt]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h18v9EWGPjA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h18v9EWGPjA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/yt]

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Agree 100%. The Albion's colours are blue and white, not any other colours.

For a change strip we should have white shirts. We sould also have both blue and white shorts and both blue and white socks. That should be enough to prevent a clash with just about every other club.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I can actually see a clash occuring this season even with the 3 current strips. Should we get Palace away in the FA then we could not wear the home strip (clash with the blue), 1st away would clash with the red and 2nd away could be deemed as clashing with the blue again. (this is based on previous decisions from referees)

We should have kept the all sky blue and dumped the navy and yellow this season. That way all 3 kits would have been different colours.

And what was the reason behind the change strip at Southampton? Was there a colour blind ref who could not tell red from blue?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can actually see a clash occuring this season even with the 3 current strips. Should we get Palace away in the FA then we could not wear the home strip (clash with the blue), 1st away would clash with the red and 2nd away could be deemed as clashing with the blue again.

And are we seriously to believe that a referee who presumably has passed stringent eye tests before being let loose on professional football can't see the difference between a blue and white striped shirt and a blue and red striped one? I could tell 'em apart from the other end of the pitch, even without my glasses on!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think the key word here is interchangability.

Referees these days won't let teams in red-and-white stripes play a team in blue-and-white stripes. We can't change that, but we can bear it in mind with our kit design.

I would go with blue and white stipes for home, with white shorts and white socks.

The away kit would then have to have interchangable elements with the home strip, in order to placate the referees, who are overly-harsh on colour clashes.

Therefore I would go with a yellow away shirt, with blue shorts and yellow socks, all in the same style as the home kit. I would also have a 'spare' set of blue socks. This would mean that when we play Charlton (red shirts, white shorts, white socks), we could play in home shirts, blue away shorts and blue socks.

The only combination we couldn't play against is a team with yellow and blue striped/hooped shirts. This would also mean that we wouldn't have to have alternative shorts and socks with every shirt.

Last season, we use 4 shirt designs, 5 short designs and 5 sock designs. My simple solution would leave us needing 2 shirts, 2 shorts and 3 socks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here