Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

German goalie takes a penalty...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That was a cracker. I have only once seen a goalie take a penalty in a competitive match, some years ago in the Netherlands. I think it was at the end of a cup match and the home side were already 4-0 up when awarded a penalty in injury time. The goalie was a bit of a cult figure and when the fans behind the goal started chanting his name he ran up the pitch and the captain let him take the penalty, which he dispatched with aplomb.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Gully said:
That was a cracker. I have only once seen a goalie take a penalty in a competitive match, some years ago in the Netherlands. I think it was at the end of a cup match and the home side were already 4-0 up when awarded a penalty in injury time. The goalie was a bit of a cult figure and when the fans behind the goal started chanting his name he ran up the pitch and the captain let him take the penalty, which he dispatched with aplomb.

Gareth Howells (David Howells of Tottenhams brother) I believe holds a record of being the only goalkeeper to have saved and scored a penalty in the play offs playing for Torquay. I stand to be corrected if anybody can think of another who hasd done the same.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Alex Stepney used to be a semi-regular taker for Manchester United in the early 70s. I vaguely remember during the year they were relegated that he was the joint top scorer for the early part of the season.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I take it the Howells effort was in a penalty shoot out at the end, or was it actually during normal play?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BensGrandad said:
Gareth Howells (David Howells of Tottenhams brother) I believe holds a record of being the only goalkeeper to have saved and scored a penalty in the play offs playing for Torquay. I stand to be corrected if anybody can think of another who hasd done the same.

I'm sure Chilavert has done it on several occasions, although obviously not in England ... the only keeper to have scored a hat trick.

Last edited:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Different standard but I used to take them when playing in goal in the West Sussex League a few years back. Started as a joke at the end of a cup game but ended up scoring several pens over a few seasons.

If you think that there is pressure taking a penalty it's even worse knowing that if you miss you've got to run back 90 yards pretty quickly to stop them scoring!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
that has been on Question of sport recently as a 'What happened Next'

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Repugnant Toad said:
I'm sure Chilavert has done it on several occasions, although obviously not in England ... the only keeper to have scored a hat trick.

He also took free kicks if they were within shooting distance of the opposition's goal. I remember him hitting the bar with one against Bulgaria at the World Cup in 1998.

Jul 20, 2003
Peter Schmeichel scored six goals in 28 games for Hvidovre in the 85/86 season

FACT

Hans-Jorg Butt scored 19 times for SV Hamburg between 1997 and 2001. The best season came in 1999/00 when he hit the back of the net nine times and was the club's top goalscorer.

The season before had seen Butt get seven goals, with only Tony Yeboah outscoring him

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
pevenseagull said:
Peter Schmeichel scored six goals in 28 games for Hvidovre in the 85/86 season

FACT

Hans-Jorg Butt scored 19 times for SV Hamburg between 1997 and 2001. The best season came in 1999/00 when he hit the back of the net nine times and was the club's top goalscorer.

The season before had seen Butt get seven goals, with only Tony Yeboah outscoring him

That is awesome! Makes me wanna play an old champo version and make him my penalty and free kick taker!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Repugnant Toad said:

Chilavert must have finished playing now? Is he Manager yet? Beware!

A star of one World Cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldc...lovenia_v_paraguay/newsid_2037000/2037597.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/team_pages/paraguay/newsid_1924000/1924195.stm

Not only penalties, but free kicks.

Paraguay are a number one banana skin.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here