Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Geoff Sidebottom Dead

Good God! I've only found out within the last hour that Mike Bamber has died (albeit 20 years ago), and now you hit me with this! Geoff Sidebottom and Brian Powney were the regular 'keepers when I first watched the Albion in 1968-69, and it was only a few weeks ago that I was wondering when the first death from thar era would occur. Have I missed any others?

the viscount

May 15, 2008
hove by the sea
The former Albion goalie brought to the club by Freddie Goodwin in the late 1960's has died. I remember him as a fearless keeper who ended up having to retire due to a neurological injury he received whilst playing for the Albion.

Albion mourn keeper Sidebottom (From The Argus)

Yes he was a great name at the club i knew him very well. i remember one day; he was one of the few people who had one of the ford Mustang cars.

And he used to take me along the seafront in this open car and we just used to crawl along the seafront roads i supose one could say we were posing for the ladies.

At that time i was known as ginger and used to lead the North stand .He was a very decent man and will be missed by his family, if any one comes up with his funeral details please post them up.thanks.

:(:(:(:(

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Geoff Sidebottom was the first goalkeeper I ever saw play for the Albion. I was at the age when such a name still had smirk value. He was the first in a line of quality keepers I believe the Albion have had.
I hope he is honoured with silence at Withdean and not that stupid moderrn clapping bollocks :(

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Mr Sidebottom. I remember the game when he collapsed and play when on with him unconscious for a few minutes until the ball was kicked out. Crazy days.
Good keeper.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
A great keeper and very brave, probably too brave.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Good God! I've only found out within the last hour that Mike Bamber has died (albeit 20 years ago), and now you hit me with this! Geoff Sidebottom and Brian Powney were the regular 'keepers when I first watched the Albion in 1968-69, and it was only a few weeks ago that I was wondering when the first death from thar era would occur. Have I missed any others?

Sadly Charlie Livesey passed away in 2005. He played at the same time as Geoff Sidebottom, great players for the Albion both of them.

Last edited:

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
Sadly Charlie Livesey passed away in 2005. He played at the same time as Geoff Sidebottom, great players for the Albion both of them.

Absolutely, and Charlie "We'll walk a million miles for one of your goals" Livesey was my boyhood hero in the mid sixties. I also remember Geoff Sidebottom too. Good old fashioned professional footballers not like the overpaid poseurs who represent the game now especially in the Premiership.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Absolutely, and Charlie "We'll walk a million miles for one of your goals" Livesey was my boyhood hero in the mid sixties. I also remember Geoff Sidebottom too. Good old fashioned professional footballers not like the overpaid poseurs who represent the game now especially in the Premiership.

Could you imagine Alex Dawson with blonde highlights ?:D

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Although I never saw him play, he is on my list of one of those players you wish you'd had chance to see from the many stories I've heard of over the years of his heroic performances.

RIP Geoff :angel:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
RIP Mr Sidebottom. I remember the game when he collapsed and play when on with him unconscious for a few minutes until the ball was kicked out. Crazy days.
Good keeper.

Tragic news. he was brought in by Mr Goodwin, along with Barry Wright, from the USA, although they were all Brits.

I was only telling somebody yesturday about the epic Walsall game and how GS dived at a player's feet and got a kick on the head. but he recovered, puntefd the ball forward and play was down the south goal when Geoff collapsed, spark out in his penalty are infront of all of us in the north Stand. obviosly we kicked up a hell of a fuss but, in those days, games continued until the ball went out and players didn't boot it out as they do now. it probably wasn't long but it seemed ages before the other players & ref realised.

After much treatment, he was revived and carried on but not for long before he collapsed again and was taken off (Eddie spearritt going in goal),

It was a while before he played again and I think he later had another head injury when diving into a post.

In the great scheme of things, not too many games for Albion but he made a massive impression on all who saw him.

RIP.

:angel:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Milton Keynes Seagull said
"I also remember Geoff Sidebottom too. Good old fashioned professional footballers not like the overpaid poseurs who represent the game now especially in the Premiership."

seconded
and reading the thread there are so many names that bring back great memories.
RIP Geoff.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've just read the Argus story, very good article and nice memories from Brian Powney.

It's funny how time can seem to stand still. When i saw this post i was so shocked because I thought he must have only been about 50, then it dawns, hey I'm in my 50's and was just a young teen when I last saw him play. Even so, 71 is not such a great age for a sportsman. I hope he enjoyed good health and no long term effects from his bravery on our behalf.

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
Great keeper and proud to play for the Albion, shame a few of todays team won't adopt the same attitude.
RIP Geof and thank you

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Geoff Sidebottom was a very popular 'keeper. Those of us in the North Stand at the time will remember the chant of Geoffrey...Geoffrey when he came up to that end. The Walsall incident was very worrying-no local radio then and obvioulsy no Internet and it was not until the Monday that I learned that he was OK after the head injury.

Fond memories of that time and this news is so sad.

RIP Geoffrey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here