Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genius on Football Focus

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
JC had a few words, and was gobsmacked to see that Fatboy has a portrait of Crumps in his lounge

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Plus Ian Hart was on :clap2:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Excuse me for being ignorant and young, but just what is the hero status attributed to Mr Crumplin in honour of?

From what I understand he was by no means an outstanding player, yet he obviously won over a lot of fans. I didn't catch all of the feature on Footie Focus this morning so I'm still in the dark about this man's history with us.

Enlighten me anyone?

Jul 20, 2003
Bluejuice said:
Excuse me for being ignorant and young, but just what is the hero status attributed to Mr Crumplin in honour of?

From what I understand he was by no means an outstanding player, yet he obviously won over a lot of fans. I didn't catch all of the feature on Footie Focus this morning so I'm still in the dark about this man's history with us.

Enlighten me anyone?

Reasons for cult status

Think Kerry Mayo and add a bit
Maked John Barnes out of a game TWICE
"Johnny Crumplin, Football Genius" was a really good chant

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not the most skilful player ever to have donned the stripes but he was a local lad who always gave 110% or more for the team, for that he is worthy of the accolade.

...think he scored direct from a corner on one occasion...

andima

Jan 9, 2005
sussex
i met the football genuis once when was physio for L.T.F.C and he was player manager a three bridges. top bloke.

Oct 9, 2003
JCFG.....i will never forget his goal against Burnley on Boxing Day at the Goldstone......traditional shoulder drop cut inside from the right and hit a left foot screamer into the roof of the north stand goal from 20 yards..................

QUALITY :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Crumplin is a worthy winner of the "Cult Hero" for the Albion. He is EXACTLY what a cult hero is all about - not necessarily an amazing player (otherwise Ward / BZ / Lawro would have won hands down). He was just a player who, despite not being very gifted, rose above the criticism and evetually won us all over.

In the early years he truley was woeful, and the abuse would (sometimes justifiably) rain down on the fella from all sides. But after that Liverpool match, something changed in him. That performance at Anfield seemed to flick a "confidence switch" on, and suddenly, from being utter garbage week-in week-out, he actually became half decent. Not brilliant, but certainly not too shabby. And his 100% effort after that Liverpool game was always appreciated that bit more by the crowd.

The only other player I can think of who won people over in such a way was Dean Wilkins.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Best bit for me was a brief discussion on the definition of 'a cult', with Alan rounding off with "Grobelaar, he was a true cult"

:lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Crumps started off as a mediocre right winger who could not tackle, shoot or cross. As you can imagine, the massed ranks of the whingers in the west stand used to have a field day giving him dogs abuse.

Tactical genius Sir Barry Lloyd then converted him into a right back and his performances improved. Then came the match at Anfield in '91, when we played okay for an hour, but found ourselves 2-0 down. Crumps did have his finest moments in that match, but even better to establish the legend status was the fact that we scored twice late on at 'our' end to earn a draw.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
The 'Johny Crumplin, Football Genius' chant started out as a mickey take, but as time went on, people actually started to believe in it:clap: :clap: :clap:

C1 BHA said:
The 'Johny Crumplin, Football Genius' chant started out as a mickey take, but as time went on, people actually started to believe in it
And - more importantly - so did he.

Let's just hope that the chants of "Leon - you wanker" don't have the same effect on Knight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here