Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GB Taekwondo - WTF?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Anyone following the shenanigans of the GB Taekwondo committee and their posturing with the BOA? Seems we have the world No1 in the male 80kg category but the 'old farts' in the committee room have deemed it better to put forward the World No 59. I'm no expert in the sport but I seem to recall the current world No 1, Aaron Cook, was unfairly robbed of a medal at the last olympics.

Seems he upset the committee when he decided their training programme didn't suit him (his performances went downhill) so he organized his own and has reached No 1. Seems the old farts are now getting their own back. They selected No 59 and this was rejected by the BOA who told them to think again. They did and again offered the No 59 as their selection. Hope the BOA tells them to select the highest ranked individual or risk losing funding which they were awarded in the lead up for the games.

Personally, it pisses me off that our money is helping prop up a sport that is being made to look a laughing stock by the decisions of the committees. They can't even put forward any argument why they think the guy at 59 is a better medal prospect than the No 1 in the world!!!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It's absolutely ridiculous, and stinks of administrators being upset that someone has challenged their methods and succeeded elsewhere. Noses are now out of joint and so this is how they get their own back. Pathetic.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
The only argument I've seen they've put forward is that the rules have changed slightly and head shots are now counted more which they think suits the other fighter (Lutalo Muhammad) more, but is does sound a bit lame especially as Muhammad has fought in a higher weight (non-olympic) category before so is surely having to drop his weight a bit and Cook is about to be World Number 1.

That said, the numpties who are sending Muhammad hate mail are just beyond the pale - as if he has anything to do with this, and is himself just caught in the crossfire... *sigh*

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
But the committees like these are the same that we find in the FA - cretins the lot of them and sadly, we are powerless to do anything
about it

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Hats off to the committee in making it harder for us to reach our (even more) unrealistic target of getting x amount of gold medals. Tossers

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Idiots. Where's the petition?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Olympic Tae Kwon Do is shit anyway. First kick usually wins. What they need is ITF TKD where its feet and hands continuous.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It bothers me more that our money is used to pay for a sport that is a laughing stock full stop!

And throw in sailing, archery, shooting, jumping, horse riding, swimming and cycling too.

That can't be a full list from you. I expected volleyball, rowing, running and what-have-you.

Aren't you an aspiring sports journalist?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Anyone following the shenanigans of the GB Taekwondo committee and their posturing with the BOA? Seems we have the world No1 in the male 80kg category but the 'old farts' in the committee room have deemed it better to put forward the World No 59. I'm no expert in the sport but I seem to recall the current world No 1, Aaron Cook, was unfairly robbed of a medal at the last olympics.

Seems he upset the committee when he decided their training programme didn't suit him (his performances went downhill) so he organized his own and has reached No 1. Seems the old farts are now getting their own back. They selected No 59 and this was rejected by the BOA who told them to think again. They did and again offered the No 59 as their selection. Hope the BOA tells them to select the highest ranked individual or risk losing funding which they were awarded in the lead up for the games.

Personally, it pisses me off that our money is helping prop up a sport that is being made to look a laughing stock by the decisions of the committees. They can't even put forward any argument why they think the guy at 59 is a better medal prospect than the No 1 in the world!!!

It's always the same with GB sport. Tennis is another example. Don't do it the official way and you have to be left in the cold. Can't believe the Taekwondo committee can put their own pettiness ahead of medal chances. They're as inept as the wrestling committee.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Local & regional rugby and cricket, similar.

Other countries like Australia really do run a meritocracy, with the best making it.

The UK still has snobbery, nepotism, "an old school friend of mine has had a word", money, etc .... all at times affecting the chances of some youth in sport over others.

This organisation has been exposed.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

What's Lotter funding?

I always think it would be easier for those that can't abide their taxes going towards something they think is pointless (recent examples on here being the Jubilee or Olympics) to convince themselves that their money is being used for something they value.

A bit like the BBC license fee. If you don't like, say, Cash in the attic, assume that your hundred and whatever pounds is going towards the Football League Show, or Match of the Day, for example.

Back to the OP, and I feel sorry for Cook. Maybe they should have a 'play-off' between the No 1 and 59, to decide who should go?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here