Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gay Footballers...Appreciated or Unwelcome? Research

theacademic

Jun 14, 2010
I am carrying out an anonymous survey on fans' views towards gay football players. This is in response to the Premier League dropping a campaign on this issue and Max Clifford claiming that 'football is steeped in homophobia'. We want to assess how fans feel about this. The response to phase 1 has been terrific (over 2000 replies in 3 weeks!). The initial response from Brighton fans was fantastic and i hope you can contribute again.

Gordon Taylor, the chief of the Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA), has replied to the interim results of the topfan online survey of fans’ views on homophobia and gay players and we are happy to set the facts straight. Mr Taylor writes: “Never at any time have I withdrawn support for an anti homophobia campaign and in fact quite the opposite.” As an organization, the PFA states: “We welcome the opportunity to lead the field in this area, as we have done with racism ... we do not have any members of the PFA who have openly declared they are gay. If a player approached us regarding this matter there are support mechanisms in place to ensure the player has the full support of the Association.” Check GAY FOOTBALLERS ... APPRECIATED OR UNWELCOME? for the full statement, latest results and make your contribution to Phase 2 of the project. Here are a couple of recent newspaper stories on the research: Ellis Cashmore and Jamie Clelland: Why is there still no level playing field for gay men in UK football and rugby? - Yorkshire Post
(The Yorkshire Post) and http://bit.ly/doJTbY (The Sunday Herald).

I hope you can still see its worth, especially now we have engaged with Gordon Taylor and the PFA. Please log on and give us your thoughts:

GAY FOOTBALLERS ... APPRECIATED OR UNWELCOME?

theacademic

Jun 14, 2010
thanks very much! I tried to get the Brighton Argus to take up this story as we had such a good response from Brighton fans last time. They didn't reply to two emails. It would have been good for the club and its fans.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think it's sad that these questions still need to be asked.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
2) Is there pressure on gay players to stay in the closet?
Yes No

2a) If 'Yes', where does the pressure come from?
Clubs
Agents
Family

Where is the option for ignorant and obnoxious 'fans'?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Odd survey. There are no straightforward questions and answers, but I shall do it nonetheless.
It's also an odd survey in that there should always be an 'Other' option, especially when trying to select a statement. Even though I answered questions 1b and 2b (I think) I didn't really agree with any of the three simplistic choices offered.

theacademic

Jun 14, 2010
no-one is paying for it. lots of research is done out of a person's interest. this subject is one where not much research has been done - certainly to gauge fans' views. Thanks to all of those who have engaged with the survey so far. There might be an issue with one or two questions but we got so much data from phase 1 that we wanted to keep the questions as closed as possible this time. I do bear in in your comments regarding its possible limitations in places but hope you still see it as a worthwhile study.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here