Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GARY "THE LEGEND" CHIVERS (well, maybe not legend...)

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Now player manager with Chelsea old boys...

Date of Birth: 15th May 1960

Children & Ages: Daniella, Megan, Sophia & Ryan

Partner’s Name: Yvonne

Season Started at Chelsea: 1976

Season Left Chelsea: 1982/83

Reason you left: Fell out with the management

Position Played: Centre Back/Right Back

Appearances for Chelsea: 143

Goals Scored for Chelsea: 4

Club you went to after Chelsea: Swansea

Division Chelsea was in when you played: 1st

Biggest Influence on your career: Ken Shellito & Dario Gradi

Best Goal: Goal against Newcastle, it was the 5th goal of the game and got voted 2nd in goal of the season

Team you supported as a boy: Chelsea

Favorite Current day Player: Zola or Thierry Henry

What has changed since you played: The pace of the game

Best Player you played against: Cryuff, Gulitt and Van Basten all in one side, a friendly game out in Malaysia. The movement from all 3 players was incredible

Funniest Moment on the pitch: When a goalie went down injured and he only recovered when he found out that his girlfriend and his wife where on their way to see him in the dressing room

Funniest Moment in the dressing room: I was doing a tap dance before one of the games and the manager walked in and caught me. Also before one of the Chelsea Reserve games I was hiding in the laundry basket and the manager came in and I had to stay in the basket until he had finished his team talk.

Best Football ground you played at: Wembley

Highlight of your career: I just loved going into training every day

Nickname as a player: Charlie & Chiv’s

Managers you played under: Danny Blanchflower, Geoff Hurst, John Neal, John Toshack, Terry Venables, Allan Mullery, Jim Smith, Dave Bassett, Frank Sibley, Barry Lloyd, Mel Machin, Tony Pullis

Best Manager’s you played under: Terry Venebles

Besides Chelsea who do you like watching in the Premiership: Arsenal & Leeds Utd

How many years did you play: 19 years

How many games in total throughout your career (league and cup): 500+

What did you enjoy about being a footballer: The training, I simply loved training & playing

What do you miss most of all: The dressing room banter

What are you doing now: Working for the Press Association, coaching at a Private School, run soccer schools in the Summer months and general PR work

Club
Seasons

Chelsea
1976 / 1982-83

Swansea
1983/ 1984

Q.P.R
1984 / 1987

Watford
1987 / 1988

Brighton
1988 / 1993

Bournemouth
1993 / 1995

You'd have thought Barry Lloyd would have been the best manager he had played under, after all, he did get him to his favourite ground!
Gary_Sophia.jpg

Last edited:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Will it or wont it be Gary CHIVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

From a weather fan on the BBc messageboards:

The evidence is on the radar chart at 11.00 and on todays BBC summary. It appears now that snow will be heading further north and that the south, South East in particular will see precious little snow, only in East Kent. Another coldish day, temperatures around 41oF and very dull in North London this morning.

:(

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oooh Gary Chivers
Oooh Gary Chivers

Quality player. Berated by the North Stand more often than not (unfairly) but a hero of mine.

Quality taken goal against Sheff Wed at the North Stand when we lost 4-1 in the 'play off' season.

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
Thought he was a great player for us, always been one of my favorite all time albion players, don't ask me why.

Don't wish to be an anorak but we lost that game against Sheff Weds 4-nil. I don't remember Charlie Chivers scoring an own goal. I was a fan, but thought he did better at centre-back than at right back.

He always seemed like a 'proper' 80s footballer! I.e He looked like Gary Davies, liked Luther Vandross and would say Steak was his fave food!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here