Gary Hart - Legend

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Taken From The Argus

August 18: Hart battles for place

by Andy Naylor
Gary Hart says he will keep on fighting
Gary Hart says he will keep on fighting

Gary Hart vowed today to keep on fighting for his Albion future.

The Seagulls stalwart played no part in the first three Championship matches and started his season last night by skippering the Reserves.

Hart, converted from a centre forward to a right winger in the first team, played at rightback in a 6-1 win for the Reserves against Woking at Worthing.

He admitted: "Obviously it's not ideal. I'd much rather be playing in the first team but I'm not at the moment and I'm really disappointed about that.

"I've just got to get on with it. I've been in this situation last year and a couple of times before so it's up to me to get myself out of it.

"I'll keep on fighting. New players have come in but I won't give up.

"I've got a contract until the end of the season and only three games have gone, so it's not worth getting upset about it. Things change over the course of a season."

Hart's hopes of regaining a first team spot have been reduced by the arrival of French right winger Sebastien Carole but he revelled in his revised role for the Reserves.

"Dean White asked me to play there and I really enjoyed it," he said. "I was a bit worried about positioning but I thought I came through it quite well."

Jake Robinson provided an early contender for goal of the season as White's team opened their campaign in the Pontin's Holidays Combination League in emphatic style.

The teenage prospect, playing on the right wing, found the top corner of the net with a spectacular 40-yard effort in the 48th minute before laying on three more goals.

Albion dominated the first half but had to wait until the 43rd minute for a breakthrough. Mark McCammon half-volleyed in from close range following clever skill and a cross from Albert Jarrett, who had earlier rattled the Woking crossbar from 30 yards.

Miles Jones punished untidy Albion defending from a free-kick after 52 minutes, turning to fire past Richard Martin from inside the box.

Woking's joy was shortlived, Argentine target man Federico Turienzo restoring the Seagulls' two-goal cushion a minute later with a firm near-post header from Robinson's cross.

Alexis Nicolas drilled in the fourth from the edge of the box on 69 minutes and Robinson set up sub Dean Cox for the fifth and sixth on 85 minutes and the stroke of full-time.

A youth team game earlier in the day stretched the Seagulls' small squad to the limit, so they were only able to name Cox and Steve May as substitutes.

Martin kept goal as international clearance has not been received yet for Frenchman Florent Chaigneau.

I see Ricardo Carvahlo has been fined 85 grand or something for questioning why he was dropped from the Chelsea side for last weeks game. OGH however is a model professional, always gives 110% and commitment can not be faulted. He sounds DESPERATE to win his place back fairly. I for one hope he makes it to his testimonial year

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I commented on this last night after the match and imo he did pretty well at right back.

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
I like Hart, but if we're going to establish ourselves in this divsion I can't see him playing much part.

OGH has more problems than last year I feel.

He struggled to get into the team in the first half of the season last year not because so much that there were better players ahead of him in right midfield, but because of the systems that McGhee employed early on - the defensive midfields that saw Hinshelwood employed on the right in the first quarter of the season and then the 3-5-2 that tends to exclude attacking wide players.

Now, however, he has an argubly much more gifted player in Carole ahead of him, whatever formation McGhee employs.

If OGH fights back from this and gets another contract, he will be THE footballing Lazarus.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Gary is a 100%er. You can't have too many of those in your squad.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
maidstoneseagull said:
He'll get back in the team at some point if he sticks at it, which I'm sure he will.
As a side that will be nearer the bottom than the top, we will pick up bookings and suspensions along the way, so he will get a chance, no worries.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Gary Hart is a LEGEND and whenever picked will try his best for us and has never really let us down.

Would be very sad to see him go anywhere!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Albion Dan said:
Gary Hart is a LEGEND and whenever picked will try his best for us and has never really let us down.

Would be very sad to see him go anywhere!

Thats all well and good but is his best good enough anymore?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It does seemed Mcghee has tried to make his standards for the team higher this year by looking at the players he has brought in.

KinkyGoebels said:
It does seemed Mcghee has tried to make his standards for the team higher this year by looking at the players he has brought in.

We scraped last season as amazingly as we had come up to this division. I think we'd have to actually raise the standard somewhat just to do as much as scrape this season! Players get older, get sold, get injured. Competition also tries to better themselves, draft in new managers, improve standards. Teams that went down last year are no longer around to 'be above', so we have to hope that there will be some similarly hapless victims to capitulate before us.

That is all 'par for the course' stuff though. The facts for us are still that we have no dosh, have to sell our standout players. We really do have to remain as a "team they should be beating" and take many of them by surprise....enough to snag several unexpected points. We are the West Ham or Wigan of this division - we probably shouldn't be here by rights, but we are. By all means let's be known as a good stop for unfashionable-but-good players trying to get a football career on track, and let's take some points we have no right to take.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
KinkyGoebels said:
Rotherham and Gillingham both had those sort of players and they went down - you have a team of Oatways and Harts you will go down

"You have"? Have you changed teams then KG?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
London Irish said:
OGH has more problems than last year I feel.

Now, however, he has an argubly much more gifted player in Carole ahead of him, whatever formation McGhee employs.

And, it would appear, the boy wonder Jakey himself.

It'd be nice to keep OGH at the club but it's not looking too good for him. Still, if he becomes a first class right back there may be a future for him yet.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here