Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker on Murray's goal celebration

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
in Saturday's programme. Haven't got it to hand but it read to me like Dicker had very little time for GM. Did anyone else get that impression?

He said words to the effect that he had no idea what the hand on the head celebration was but that it probably had something to do with his other half but was too boring to be of any interest and that when Matt Sparrow had copied it the rest of the team just ignored him as nobody could be bothered to join in.

Bit harsh I thought, maybe I was reading too much into it.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think it's ever been in dispute that Murray wasn't exactly the life and soul of the party.

Look at all the photos of the promotion celebrations last season. Murray is at the back of nearly every one, in others you can't even see him. During the parade festivities he looked pretty uninterested in it all.

It doesn't necessarily mean he's a massive twat of course (even though he is :D), it could be that he's painfully shy, or just really boring, or that he doesn't actually care about football as long as it pays his mortgage.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I got the exact same impression from that article. Either he was an utter c*ck, or the players have gleaned enough about the rivalry to realise it's best to cut him adrift. Whichever, his loss, he'll get a lot for his extra loot in the Croydon pound shops.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought it was just Dicker carrying on the whole 'Murray is boring' thing that the players were saying last year.

I did love the playful booing that the Murray images got on the big screen before the game when they were covering last season. All very panto

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On saturday it didn't look like Dicker was on speaking terms to most of our team

albionite

May 20, 2009
Yes it comes across like that.

The question was: "Now he has gone, what was Glenn Murray's celebration all about?" Dicker replied: I haven't got a clue. It was that boring nobody took an interest. It was porbably something to do with his girlfriend or kid, I don't really know and never bothered to ask him. I remember Spadge (Matt Sparrow) started doing it one day but once he turned round and noticed nobody else was joining in, he soon stopped"

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
He was/ is painfullu shy, met him a couple of times at the sponsors do and it was hard work.
not everyone has people skills.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes it comes across like that.

The question was: "Now he has gone, what was Glenn Murray's celebration all about?" Dicker replied: I haven't got a clue. It was that boring nobody took an interest. It was porbably something to do with his girlfriend or kid, I don't really know and never bothered to ask him. I remember Spadge (Matt Sparrow) started doing it one day but once he turned round and noticed nobody else was joining in, he soon stopped"

It could just be banter, who knows, who cares.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
it could be that he's painfully shy, or just really boring, or that he doesn't actually care about football as long as it pays his mortgage.

Exactly this, he is an extremely reserved character who may not even enjoy football that much. I can't remember who but there is a Premiership footballer (Spurs I think), that won't watch any other football or do anything football related outside of training and playing, he's just been blessed with the skills to pay the bills and that's it

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Exactly this, he is an extremely reserved character who may not even enjoy football that much. I can't remember who but there is a Premiership footballer (Spurs I think), that won't watch any other football or do anything football related outside of training and playing, he's just been blessed with the skills to pay the bills and that's it

Assou Ekotto. Benoît Assou-Ekotto: 'I play for the money. Football's not my passion' | Football | The Guardian

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

One of my good mates played football with Murray in the Cumbrian non league system and this is incorrect. He loves football and had to work extremely hard to get to where he has, as he wasn't that good a player naturally. He got there through hard work and drive, he isn't just a natural genius that plays because he can do it easily and it pays the bills like Assou-Ekotto.

So this just tells me that he is a boring twat.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He was interviewed on the sth dvd last season, saying he loves playing football but hates the interviews and photos that go with it.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
One of my good mates played football with Murray in the Cumbrian non league system and this is incorrect. He loves football and had to work extremely hard to get to where he has, as he wasn't that good a player naturally. He got there through hard work and drive, he isn't just a natural genius that plays because he can do it easily and it pays the bills like Assou-Ekotto.

So this just tells me that he is a boring twat.

Haha - fair enough - just thought he may not have had a passion for football in general

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Fair play to him! Although some people do jobs because they are passionate about them. But yes 99.9% work for money. Although not everyone in an office would get 1,500 a month (I know he said euros but it's roughly the same in pounds these days) Think he's a bit out of touch with that.

Really? 1,500 Euros a month is under £16K a year, surely most people who work in an office would get that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here