Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gannon's "Huge Decision"

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Gannon faces big decision
Published: 24/02/2009

Stockport manager Jim Gannon has admitted he faces a "huge decision" after being given permission to speak to Brighton about their vacant managerial position.

Hatters chairman Martin Reid has allowed Gannon to speak to the Seagulls on Wednesday morning following an approach from Seagulls supremo Dick Knight.

Brighton want the Stockport boss to succeed Micky Adams, and after seeing his side lose 1-0 at Colchester, Gannon acknowledged he has some thinking to do.

He said: "I think everybody knows how much I love this club and I think everybody knows how much I've been tormented by what has gone on in the last six or seven weeks.

"I have been put into a difficult position but I respect that the approach has been made and we'll see what happens.

"It's going to be a huge decision."

Gannon claims he has strived to remain committed to Stockport, despite financial unrest behind the scenes.

"My position at the club became untenable a long time ago," he said. "But because of my passion for the club and out of respect for all of the staff, players and fans, I've stayed.

"I have remained committed but the most important thing is to make sure that this club continues to exist and progresses."

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
He's making all the right noises in terms of PR for the Stockport fans. But " huge decision" or not, when you hear someone say " My position became untenable a long time ago," that means he's off.
I'd be very suprised if he's not our next manager.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But do we also get his No2?
Word from Stockport is that it is very much a symbiotic relationship and to get the results out of Gannon that he has so far achieved you need to have Ward as well.

Gannon with White and Booker might not be a good deal

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I hope he does become our manager, but from his point of view I would imagine that he sees clubs with more potential might come in for him in the near future. Maybe even clubs in the Championship.

Although Falmer may be a factor, going on our appalling turnover of managers in the last decade, he may not even survive with us until then!

It's going to take all of Dicks persuasive skills to convince him. :angel:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Hasn't Knight already said that the backroom team will be upto the new manager.

I think the deal has already been done. What Gannon is doing is showing Stockport respect. Something Coppell showed to us when he was agonsing over Reading.

After reading the Stockport official site, it says that Dick was granted permission on Sunday to talk to Gannon. So I suspect that initial discussions have already taken place. Thats where probably Gannon said I want to bring in my own team.

I think if Gannon wanted to stay at Stockport he would have said, very flattering, but I have a job to do at Stockport County etc. Plus, if he travelling down to Brighton today, its a long way just to say no. More like to sign and be unveilled today.

Well I hope so anyway

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Sounds like a done deal to me. The appointment dosent excite me, but he will get my full backing.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Not very excited about him to be honest. Mainly because I don't know very much about him. I would much prefer someone like Boothroyd.

To be honest, I didn't know much about him before this week but everything I have heard sounds great. He is an up and coming young manager with a fantastic record at Stockport (where he took over in 05/06 with them 5 points from safety in League two and they are now 8th in League one). With their recent sales he has probably taken them as far as he can but I have not seen a Stockport fan comment who is not desperate for him to stay. It sounds like he has built a good backroom staff too which hopefully he will bring with him.

He has built a really good young squad at Stockport who apparently play exciting, passing football. You only have to look at McNulty (compared to the passing from the rest of our defence) to see the type of player he likes.

He also holds a full UEFA Pro licence (which very few lower league managers do) and to top it all off he refuses to speak to Sky because they wouldn't fix his Sky box.

If we got Gannon I would be delighted. The only possible downside is it might take him time to instill his passing game into our team (judging by performances this season).

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
To be honest, I didn't know much about him before this week but everything I have heard sounds great. He is an up and coming young manager with a fantastic record at Stockport (where he took over in 05/06 with them 5 points from safety in League two and they are now 8th in League one). With their recent sales he has probably taken them as far as he can but I have not seen a Stockport fan comment who is not desperate for him to stay. It sounds like he has built a good backroom staff too which hopefully he will bring with him.

He has built a really good young squad at Stockport who apparently play exciting, passing football. You only have to look at McNulty (compared to the passing from the rest of our defence) to see the type of player he likes.

He also holds a full UEFA Pro licence (which very few lower league managers do) and to top it all off he refuses to speak to Sky because they wouldn't fix his Sky box.

If we got Gannon I would be delighted. The only possible downside is it might take him time to instill his passing game into our team (judging by performances this season).

That all sounds promising...

I wasn't aware of him having a full UEFA Pro Licence. Maybe I might have to change my mind about him.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
That all sounds promising...

I wasn't aware of him having a full UEFA Pro Licence. Maybe I might have to change my mind about him.

I think Boothroyd would be a good manager for us too (imagine a year or so ago the idea we might have got him let along he would be second choice) but Gannon's brand of football could be great and he sounds really promising. I would be delighted if he is appointed.

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Not very excited about him to be honest. Mainly because I don't know very much about him. I would much prefer someone like Boothroyd.

Boothroyd - god I hope not. All long ball and he lost the plot after his assistant, Keith Burkinshaw, left. For my money, has not shown he is his own man, nor shown that he can cut it without someoen to lean on.

Dandyman

In London village.

I think Gannon would be a great appointment. It would also be interesting to see if a coaching role developed for Nicky Forster.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
According to their board, BBC Manchester have reported on the lunchtime news that the meeting has now taken finished and Dick et al are now in the process of interviewing the other candidate(s).

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think if Gannon wanted to stay at Stockport he would have said, very flattering, but I have a job to do at Stockport County etc. Plus, if he travelling down to Brighton today, its a long way just to say no. More like to sign and be unveilled today.

Well I hope so anyway

So do I.

A good point, well made.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you say openly that your position is untenable it's almost certain he'll be leaving for another job shortly.

He doesn't owe Stockport anything and they've gone as far as they can - he really needs to move on and let another manager have a shot at taking over the reins. Not a bad squad to inherit.

Santy

Feb 25, 2009
I thought I'd give you lot a Stockport perspective on Jim Gannon as it seems more and more likely that he will be your new manager...

When Jimbo came into the club we were in absolute turmoil, we had just lost 6-0 to Macclesfield Town in one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Stockport side. We were bottom of League Two and looked like certainties for relegation to the conference. He got the job at the start of January and turned a team of no hopers in to a team that had almost promotion level form in the second half of the season. He made one or two loan signings (Jimbo loves the loan market), but was also forced to sell our leading goalscorer at the time (Jermaine Easter). What he did in his first half season was remarkable.

Jimbo made a number of changes to the team that summer, and after a little shaky start to the season, we picked up around the Christmas period, and went on a football league record run of 9 wins without conceeding a goal. He bought in some fantastic players (Stephen Gleeson, Wayne Hennessey, Anthony Pilkington) and got the best out of the players that were already here (Ashley Williams, Liam Dickinson) - and best of all we were playing some of the best football seen at Edgeley Park for years with an exciting group of young players. Unfortunately injuries/player sales and loan signings going back to clubs on top of some pure bad luck meant that we missed out on the play-offs that season on goal difference. But still not bad considering at the same time the year before we were fighting relegation from the football league.

Jimbo's second full season in charge got us promotion from the play-offs, and if it weren't for a slow start to the season would have seen us go up automatically. The football we played was, again, fantastic. Jimbo also brought youth team players through such as Tommy Rowe and James Tunnicliffe, who have become established first team members and have been attracting interest from Premiership Clubs.

Basically, if Jimbo does go to you - you have one of the brightest and finest young managers in football. His ethos at County has been to develop young talented players and mould them in to a team that plays football in the right way (we had the best disciplinary record in League Two for both of his seasons in charge). He is the ultimate professional and is scathing of anybody that he doesn't believe acts in the correct professional manner (just ask many a referee). He is a huge character who can get up the nose of opposition fans - but that tends to only endear him more to his own supporters.

(I still have my fingers crossed that something goes wrong and he stays with Stockport)

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I'll be gutted if we don't get Gannon now. Boothroyd's success was apparently built around a book about managing baseball teams based on statisitcs, Ince and Slade don't excite me, and as for Lloyd and Stevens........... Everything I've seen about Gannon makes me think he's thetop man for the job

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I thought I'd give you lot a Stockport perspective on Jim Gannon as it seems more and more likely that he will be your new manager...

When Jimbo came into the club we were in absolute turmoil, we had just lost 6-0 to Macclesfield Town in one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Stockport side. We were bottom of League Two and looked like certainties for relegation to the conference. He got the job at the start of January and turned a team of no hopers in to a team that had almost promotion level form in the second half of the season. He made one or two loan signings (Jimbo loves the loan market), but was also forced to sell our leading goalscorer at the time (Jermaine Easter). What he did in his first half season was remarkable.

Jimbo made a number of changes to the team that summer, and after a little shaky start to the season, we picked up around the Christmas period, and went on a football league record run of 9 wins without conceeding a goal. He bought in some fantastic players (Stephen Gleeson, Wayne Hennessey, Anthony Pilkington) and got the best out of the players that were already here (Ashley Williams, Liam Dickinson) - and best of all we were playing some of the best football seen at Edgeley Park for years with an exciting group of young players. Unfortunately injuries/player sales and loan signings going back to clubs on top of some pure bad luck meant that we missed out on the play-offs that season on goal difference. But still not bad considering at the same time the year before we were fighting relegation from the football league.

Jimbo's second full season in charge got us promotion from the play-offs, and if it weren't for a slow start to the season would have seen us go up automatically. The football we played was, again, fantastic. Jimbo also brought youth team players through such as Tommy Rowe and James Tunnicliffe, who have become established first team members and have been attracting interest from Premiership Clubs.

Basically, if Jimbo does go to you - you have one of the brightest and finest young managers in football. His ethos at County has been to develop young talented players and mould them in to a team that plays football in the right way (we had the best disciplinary record in League Two for both of his seasons in charge). He is the ultimate professional and is scathing of anybody that he doesn't believe acts in the correct professional manner (just ask many a referee). He is a huge character who can get up the nose of opposition fans - but that tends to only endear him more to his own supporters.

(I still have my fingers crossed that something goes wrong and he stays with Stockport)

f*** it, I'm sold.

Get him here now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here