Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Game of Thrones - Bemused by the Furore

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
There are no wizards, and magic is thought to be a myth. dragons don't really count since for most of GOT they are the size of a football. And I can think one one instance of incestual rape.

You should probably watch the show before simply dismissing it. There is a reason it's a more popular show than the sopranos and Breaking Bad.

what about those shape shifting warlock dudes with the raspberry slush puppy tongues?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
what about those shape shifting warlock dudes with the raspberry slush puppy tongues?

Although this is true, they happen to live on the opposite side of another continent, and most people in where the main story takes place would say any magic stories from there are just rubbish. Just like they say about Dany's Dragons being sailor stories.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There are no wizards, and magic is thought to be a myth. dragons don't really count since for most of GOT they are the size of a football. And I can think one one instance of incestual rape.

You should probably watch the show before simply dismissing it. There is a reason it's a more popular show than the sopranos and Breaking Bad.

Magic DOES exist. That a lot of people in Westeros don't believe in it is not pertinent to the point that magic exists in the show. Plus, there are many in Westeros who do believe in magic. Those who have seen what's beyond the wall. Bran and associates. Stannis and his chums. The Band of Brothers. And what the hell is that guy doing with the Mountain?

The dragons have slowly been growing bigger ever since they hatched - the only time they were the size of a football.

It is fantastic though. But it's all about interests. I can see why people wouldn't like it and it takes a lot of concentration / reading to be fully aware of everything that's going on. Though it gets much easier after the first series once the basics are established.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
I huffed at all these people talking about it when it first came out. Decided to watch it on streaming system last Monday. I am just starting season 4 and it has been bloody fantastic. Also just got in to modern family which is superb too.

Same, can't stand fantasy films/literature and because I wasn't into it scoffed at it. But I thought so many people who's opinion I respect can't be wrong and gave it a go and am now really into it, though the 5th season has seemed a bit disjointed. You can't really go wrong with HBO anyway to be fair. True Detective, The Wire, Soprano's, Deadwood, GOT, Oz, Band of Brothers etc etc. Their output of quality is incredible.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Another vote for "bloody brilliant" here.

For such a massive cast, there are so many fantastic performances from such a wide range of actors. The costumes, locations and mise-en-scene are the best I have ever seen on TV. The storyline is gripping, shocking and unpredictable with great dialogue and beautiful scenes... Plus there is lots of gore tits and dragons.

10/10 Truly unmissable TV, every season has been brilliant.

You talk such sense about everything else on this Board that the phrase 'Kiss of Death' comes to mind! :lolol:

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Magic DOES exist. That a lot of people in Westeros don't believe in it is not pertinent to the point that magic exists in the show. Plus, there are many in Westeros who do believe in magic. Those who have seen what's beyond the wall. Bran and associates. Stannis and his chums. The Band of Brothers. And what the hell is that guy doing with the Mountain?

The dragons have slowly been growing bigger ever since they hatched - the only time they were the size of a football.

It is fantastic though. But it's all about interests. I can see why people wouldn't like it and it takes a lot of concentration / reading to be fully aware of everything that's going on. Though it gets much easier after the first series once the basics are established.

I never said there wasn't magic, since we know there is magic. But I used the fact that a lot of people in GOT think magic is a myth to show the fact that it isn't about wizards and magic. Some people don't want to watch it because they assume it's like world of Warcraft.

Although I do agree with you, it can take a while to know what's going on and if you don't think you'll like it in the first place, it can be hard to get to the part where the story starts to take shape, which is where GOT really pulls you in and gets fantastic.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

So what you're saying is popularity is a yardstick of quality?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
So what you're saying is popularity is a yardstick of quality?
You are completely right, but popularity still counts for something.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have seen clips from time to time and it looks a bit grim and a bit dingy. One thing I don't get is the blonde bit with the dragons, she clearly has dyed blonde hair yet the technology to do the same for her eybrows has not yet been discovered ?... very odd

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Have you considered not watching it?

100%. Me and the missus binned it after 3 episodes, I wanted to stop after one, but she managed to persuade me that it might get better (mainly because she's stumped up for it on DVD).

Idiot Box:1 Majority of the World's population: 0

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Over-rated in my view and surprisingly poorly written. But nevertheless, as an adult fairy tale, it's a good old romp. Difficult not to enjoy the big set-piece battle scenes and i like the way children are portrayed, not as weak figures but as strong, independent characters in their own right.

Another vote for "bloody brilliant" here.

For such a massive cast, there are so many fantastic performances from such a wide range of actors. The costumes, locations and mise-en-scene are the best I have ever seen on TV. The storyline is gripping, shocking and unpredictable with great dialogue and beautiful scenes... Plus there is lots of gore, tits and dragons.

10/10 Truly unmissable TV, every season has been brilliant.
THIS!

I also f***ing hate fens!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Over-rated in my view
That's always a possibility for something praised as much as GOT. That doesn't mean it's not good though.
surprisingly poorly written.
Nah. It's not a little 2 hour film, it's at the end of it's 5th series, a lot of hours and several good story-lines IMO.

I didn't think I'd be interested in it at all, not into fantasy stuff, but most of it doesn't involve fantasy, it just pops in now and then. Great show.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
100%. Me and the missus binned it after 3 episodes, I wanted to stop after one, but she managed to persuade me that it might get better (mainly because she's stumped up for it on DVD).

Idiot Box:1 Majority of the World's population: 0

Don't get me wrong I love it, a welcome break from reality TV and stupid cooking/rennovating/singing etc contests. Right up there with the best TV ever made IMHO. I just don't see why you would take the time to start a thread about it if you don't like it. Just don't watch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here