Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gambling Chelsea players

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Did I hear right on the radio this morning that Wayne Bridge and Scott Parker have blown over £2 million in under a year on horse racing? Will footballers ever learn to keep their cash in the bank!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Following Gareth Glover's tips no doubt :lol:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Have we got cash
to burn? You bet!

By NEIL SYSON and
JOHN KAY, Chief Reporter

FOUR gambling-mad Chelsea stars get a kick from staking huge wads of cash at the bookies, The Sun can reveal.

Other punters at the shop used by John Terry, Wayne Bridge, Scott Parker and Eidur Gudjohnsen have calculated they risk £40,000 a week between them.

England internationals Terry, 23, and Bridge, 24, often clutch rolls of £50 notes.

Staff at the Coral branch in Cobham, Surrey, offered the quartet telephone credit betting as they were placing such huge wagers.

But the mega-rich players said they preferred the “buzz” they get from handling cash.

In the year since they first hit the shop, it is estimated they have staked £2MILLION on horse and greyhound racing.

The Sun witnessed defenders Terry and Bridge blowing £13,000 in one non-stop three-hour session earlier this week.

A fellow regular said: No one really notices when the Chelsea boys come in any more because they are here so often. Sometimes they all come in together, or it’s two or three of them.

Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose but they keep coming back for more.

They’re doing nothing wrong and they’ve got money to burn because of their sky-high wages, so good luck to them.

They always get excited when they have a big win and don’t seem to mind losing too much. On balance they must be losing, or the bookie would have gone out of business.

The punter added: “Even though they are multi-millionaires I think they enjoy the sheer thrill of getting paid out in cash when they win.”

When they run out of readies the stars use credit cards to deposit cash for more bets, or hand over cheques.

Terry, Bridge and fellow England ace Parker, 24, live in Oxshott — three miles from Cobham, where Chelsea’s new training ground will be sited.

The Sun saw Blues captain Terry arriving at the bookies at 2.40pm on Tuesday. The £50,000-a-week star parked his new £110,000 Bentley GT on double yellow lines opposite.

Clasping a wad of £50 notes, he immediately began placing hundreds of pounds on dog races at Sunderland and Crayford. He also put big sums on horse races at Cheltenham, Limerick in Ireland and Durbanville in South Africa.

And he ploughed cash into a high-stakes roulette machine.

Bridge, who earns £30,000- a-week, joined Terry half an hour later, leaving his £45,000 Cadillac on the yellow lines.

A frenzied session followed. We counted 27 bets placed by Terry, with stakes of up to £500. Bridge was even more intense.

One screwed-up betting slip revealed he placed £900 on the 4.48 at Crayford. At one point Bridge signed an autograph for a fan outside the door but leaned back to keep an eye on a greyhound race.

Early on Terry told Bridge: “I’m not doing bad on the horses.” Later he asked: “If I do four-fifty and you do seven-fifty, where does that leave us?”

But the player’s luck soon turned. After the 4pm at Limerick, he put his head in his hands and cried: “I don’t f****** believe it.” Later, he rested his head on Bridge’s shoulder and pretended to sob.

Midfielder Parker, who is on £45,000-a-week, joined the pair at 4.30pm. He was content with a handful of lower-risk wagers, putting £70 on a horse race.

Bridge tried to use his credit card to deposit more cash, but was told to phone his bank.

He made a call on his mobile and said: “I was thinking about £2,000.” Terry placed his final bet on the 5.33 at Sunderland, after which he stormed: “F*** six. That’s it. I’ve had enough.” He left with Parker, leaving Bridge still studying form. Just before the shop closed, he was the only punter remaining.

The fourth member of the group, Icelandic striker Gudjohnsen, 24, is a self-confessed gambling addict. He told last year how he lost £400,000 playing roulette and blackjack.

Coral would only say: “It is not our policy to comment on betting patterns of our clients.”

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
I'm not sure why this is front page news. Surely it's their money, they can do whatever the f*** they want to do with it. Its like they're being named and shamed just for being SHIT at betting.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats small fry.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
John Terry is always at Sandown Racecourse, Esher (right near Cobham) my misses works there part time and John Terry chats her up :angry: :tosser:

finbar

Jul 15, 2003
Hove
The thing is it says they "STAKED" 2 million between them. They havent lost 2 Million.

So over a year that is roughly £40,000 staked per week between them.

Assuming they are getting a reasonable return of say 90% then they are losing 'only' 4k per week between 4 of them, i.e 1k per week each.

In the case of Wayne 35k/pw Bridge it means he's losing about 3% of his wages gambling. This is the equivant of a bloke on £25k a year losing £15 a week.

What a total and utter non story it is. Even if the returns were well lower than ninety percent, say 50% it would still leave wayne bridge 30k p/w to spend on white suits and R&B

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
finbar said:
The thing is it says they "STAKED" 2 million between them. They havent lost 2 Million.

So over a year that is roughly £40,000 staked per week between them.

Assuming they are getting a reasonable return of say 90% then they are losing 'only' 4k per week between 4 of them, i.e 1k per week each.

In the case of Wayne 35k/pw Bridge it means he's losing about 3% of his wages gambling. This is the equivant of a bloke on £25k a year losing £15 a week.

What a total and utter non story it is. Even if the returns were well lower than ninety percent, say 50% it would still leave wayne bridge 30k p/w to spend on white suits and R&B

Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn't be arsed to do the maths. Thanks finbar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here