Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

From a Palace Fan: Your Bonkers (and V Insecure) Obsession With Our Attendances

CPFC953

Nov 29, 2012
Your relentless analysis of our crowds is hilarious. And a bit weird.

Brighton and Hove has a population of 460,000. And you are the only team in the area. With that sort of catchment area why the continued reference to the fact that your gates are so good? My Christ you should have been selling out your various grounds in every game you have ever played in since you were formed!

But apparently that hasn’t always been in the case.

South London on the other hand has 3 Championship teams fighting over a much smaller catchment area; and that’s not even taking into account the Premier League London clubs that most kids from the identity-crisis hit town that is Croydon seem to follow.

So obviously we will not get the gates that a club sitting amongst close to half a million inhabitants does.

Why is that so difficult for some of your supporters to grasp? Do some of you not get utterly thredders with this bizarre way of trying to get one up over Palace?

As to who the biggest club is and that sort of nonsense; well it’s a stupid argument to have. Leeds are a massive club with a great history, big ground and fantastic fan base but where have they been in recent years?

It has been quite remarkable that a cub the size of Crystal Palace has been able to consistently remain in the second tier of English football with a few promotions thrown in as-well. We even reached an FA Cup Final! And all that with average crowds of between 14-15k in a ramschackle old stadium when we’ve been in Div 1 / the Championship.

I am led to believe however that your club, which can generate consistent gates of 26k in the Championship, has not been able to manage anything approaching that level of performance. Even with your smaller grounds, you should have been packing them out and generating enough revenue through merchandising etc to have pushed on far sooner than you have.

Strange fellows you lot.

Brighton and Hove has a population of 460,000. And you are the only team in the area. With that sort of catchment area why the continued reference to the fact that your gates are so good? My Christ you should have been selling out your various grounds in every game you have ever played in since you were formed!

South London on the other hand has 3 Championship teams fighting over a much smaller catchment area; and that’s not even taking into account the Premier League London clubs that most kids from the identity-crisis hit town that is Croydon seem to follow.

So obviously we will not get the gates that a club sitting amongst close to half a million inhabitants does.

Why is that so difficult for some of your supporters to grasp? Do some of you not get utterly thredders with this bizarre way of trying to get one up over Palace?

As to who the biggest club is and that sort of nonsense; well it’s a stupid argument to have. Leeds are a massive club with a great history, big ground and fantastic fan base but where have they been in recent years?

It has been quite remarkable that a cub the size of Crystal Palace has been able to consistently remain in the second tier of English football with a few promotions thrown in as-well. We even reached an FA Cup Final! And all that with average crowds of between 14-15k in a ramschackle old stadium when we’ve been in Div 1 / the Championship.

I am led to believe however that your club, which can generate consistent gates of 26k in the Championship, has not been able to manage anything approaching that level of performance. Even with your smaller grounds, you should have been packing them out and generating enough revenue through merchandising etc to have pushed on far sooner than you have.

Strange fellows you lot.

So you start another thread about it, good work.

Now f*** off.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Strange fellows you lot.

Thanks for admitting we're a bigger club than you, cheers!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Strange fellows you lot.

We are strange and you registered on NSC - a BRIGHTON forum to post an essay.

I take it you don't "do" irony?

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex

Strange fellows you lot.

This is one of the worst Anti-Brighton posts I have ever read. Not one gay slur either. Must try harder. :ffsparr:

storer

Nov 28, 2010

Strange fellows you lot.

Get a grip mate, and f*** off. You should be worried about this weekend than throwing your toys out your pram cos ur fanbase is smaller than your rivals.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Strange fellows you lot.
Totally agree, but in fairness I have to point out that it's only a few stattos who are obsessed with attendances. And even then it's only since our recent, perhaps temporary, boost to levels that historically are on the high side for us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Strange fellows you lot.

Your insecure obsession with coming on our board is weird in itself.

Not so remarkable by the way when you fund your 'success' by shafting the taxpayer, and others.

Get lost, troll, you are not welcome.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My opinion is that the novelty of our crowds dwarfing theirs (after 20 years of it being the other way round) wore off months ago.

That said, every time they accuse us of plastic support, I'm always pleased I managed to dig out that fine statistic that shows their support plummeting from 51,700 to 4,005 in less than five seasons in the 80s. So I won't put up with that sort of hypocrisy from them, any more than they should put up with attendance smack talk from us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The amount of Palace fans signed up to (and actively reading) an Albion board is just as weird.
True, but 24 hours before the big off, we still have less Palace obsessed threads, on here, than about 3 weeks ago.

That's weird.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
A) f*** off.
B) Check your facts before you post, Brighton and Hove has a population of approx 250,000. The London borough of Croydon has a population of 363,000. That is your whole argument buggered then.
C) Refer to point A.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Your case unravels because you are relying on inaccurate information. Wikipedia wrongly implies that the city's population is 460,000. The actual figure is just over 250,000. Croydon alone has far more - 342,000 people live in the borough according to your council.

You mention three clubs in the catchment area but I'm quite certain that CPFC is the only professional club in Croydon. Millwall and Charlton are somewhere else (although if you insist on saying they are in the Palace catchment area than you have to accept that the area in question has a population of many millions: drive four miles north of Palace's ground and you're in Streatham or somewhere. Do the same from the Amex and you're in Plumpton).

I actually have a sneaking regard for the supporters of non-Premier London clubs. They've stayed loyal when they could easily have gone somewhere else.

However, your comment about how the Albion 'should have pushed on much sooner' displays a worrying level of ignorance. Books have been written on the subject but the simple fact is that Palace was enjoying a period of success in the early nineties whilst the Albion was in a fragile condition, eventually falling prey to an external attack from which it is only now recovering.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here