Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freeview Question

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thinking about getting a free view box at last, just a couple of questions though.

1. does it matter what box you get? do the cheaper ones have less recieving power?

2.when wimbledon comes can i select the courts i want too and watch interactive stuff?

cheers

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
You can also get onesthat record a different channel to the one youre watching but they cost about£120 compaired to £25

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
1. I have a cheap box and it is not as good as the box my parents have. Basically a decent box will be much easier to use. My advice would be to go to wherever you are buying from and try them out.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can get televisions with it built in now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Barrel of Fun said:
1. I have a cheap box and it is not as good as the box my parents have. Basically a decent box will be much easier to use. My advice would be to go to wherever you are buying from and try them out.

Is that all it means, easier to use?

I really dont see the point of spending more money on something that does the same when only im going to see it?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have a Pace Digibox, it is almost 5 years old, with a freeview card. I can't fault it at all, it is easy to use, even for a techno-phobe like me. I get all the Beeb (including the interactive and multi-screen stuff) and Itv channels, loads of radio channels, etc, etc.

Think it cost me about £100 when I bought it from new, reckon you could pick one up from e-bay complete with card for a fraction of that.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Barrel of Fun said:

Strangely, in the same house and through the same aerial, the cheaper box picks up slightly better signal than the expensive at my parents' place. The cheap one was about £20 from Tesco. The more expensive ones sometimes have more features, like 7 day EPG instead of 24hours.

It is important that you have a good aerial and are not surrounded by obstructions. Even tall trees can make a difference in areas with poor coverage.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
You only get the choice of 2 extra courts (other than the ones on BBC1/2) when it comes to Wimbledon

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
ginadim said:
Strangely, in the same house and through the same aerial, the cheaper box picks up slightly better signal than the expensive at my parents' place. The cheap one was about £20 from Tesco. The more expensive ones sometimes have more features, like 7 day EPG instead of 24hours.

It is important that you have a good aerial and are not surrounded by obstructions. Even tall trees can make a difference in areas with poor coverage.

I was going for the tesco one!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Gully said:
I have a Pace Digibox, it is almost 5 years old, with a freeview card. I can't fault it at all, it is easy to use, even for a techno-phobe like me. I get all the Beeb (including the interactive and multi-screen stuff) and Itv channels, loads of radio channels, etc, etc.

Think it cost me about £100 when I bought it from new, reckon you could pick one up from e-bay complete with card for a fraction of that.

Pace... digibox... card...

Thats Sky Freesat not Freeview.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Is it, OK, stand corrected...only bought the damn thing because I was living in the Netherlands and couldn't get cable, at least it gave me some live UK tv and radio.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've had two in BN1. Neither got any of the ITV channels. Not the fault of the digibox, it'sdown to the aerial. But there's still enough good stuff on there to make it worthwhile. The cheapest are as good as the most expensive IMHO, apart from they maybe don't let you delete all the shite Bid-Up / Buy Shit Jewellery channels. Personally, I'd go for the cheapest, you'll still get about 30 TV channels and the same number of radio channels that you never had before. and all for a one-off payment of 20-30 quid. Be rude not to, aye?

or just look at one of those hi-fi/media/tv review magazines and look at the reviews...........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here