Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free food at Exeter game yesterday.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry if fixtures, but who got themselves a free pasty near the end of the game yesterday ?

One of their staff had a huge crate of them and was walking amongst us saying " free pasties, help yourselves as they're only gonna be thrown otherwise "

Well done Exeter :clap:
Sharp contrast to Fleet services on the way back who were shovelling huge amounts of pre packed sandwiches into black bin liners !

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
How generous, Exeter is my favourite away-day, this just reinforces how warm the welcome is in that part of Devon...far better than Plymouth!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sharp contrast to Fleet services on the way back who were shovelling huge amounts of pre packed sandwiches into black bin liners !

That sort of thing really gets on my nerves. Such a callous waste.

A friend used to work for a shelter for vulnerable women and the local Pret-a-Manger would donate sandwiches that they could no longer sell to the refuge. I.e. Past their use by date that day. Who pays much attention to those dates anyway?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nice one Exeter.

Talking of waste, the other day I tried to get one of those M&S meal deals for £10 (main course, veg, pudding, wine).

Because they had run out of veg, they had put loads of the meals and desserts behind a big screen to be thrown away, refused to supplement the veg with say a bag of carrots or something from elsewhere in the shop, and more bizarrely refused to sell the remaining three items for the same price to anyone (like us) who said we'd happily live without the vegetable element. Instead, the whole lot got chucked away.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How generous, Exeter is my favourite away-day, this just reinforces how warm the welcome is in that part of Devon...far better than Plymouth!

First time visit for me. Facilities are basic to say the least but got a real sense of a proper old football ground with proper fans. This gesture really impressed me though as it was just a bit of common sense that was fully appreciated by our lot on a freezing cold day. Certainly gives the big corporates a lesson on how to win friends and influence people, although I had to decline the offer as I doubted there was a veggie option and thought it'd be rude to ask :lolol:

I almost felt sorry for them at the end as we virtually stole the 3 points off them too :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That sort of thing really gets on my nerves. Such a callous waste.

A friend used to work for a shelter for vulnerable women and the local Pret-a-Manger would donate sandwiches that they could no longer sell to the refuge. I.e. Past their use by date that day. Who pays much attention to those dates anyway?

This issue keeps coming up doesn't it - with the big supermarkets refusing to give food away to charities because of " 'elf & safety gawn mad " issues apparently. It's a shame because it's only a bit of common sense that's needed really. Fair play to any organisation that does give away the food it can no longer sell.

The interesting thing about yesterday was that I, and no doubt others too, had to look twice to check that the bloke was really doing what he was doing and that we weren't just mishearing him. I doubt this thing happens too often at football matches. Makes me wonder if Exeter do this on a regular basis ?

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
i missed the free ones paid £2.50 at ht for mine and enjoyed every bit. half decent food at half decent prices not very often we can say that. really enjoyed the whole day nice place and lovely people.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I got a free pasty. Just after we scored the winner. 3 points and free food. That's what I call hospitable. We were standing by the side.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sorry if fixtures, but who got themselves a free pasty near the end of the game yesterday ?

One of their staff had a huge crate of them and was walking amongst us saying " free pasties, help yourselves as they're only gonna be thrown otherwise "

Well done Exeter :clap:

Giving the pasties away will have saved Exeter money , the motorway services will probably have a waste removal contract where it doesn't matter how much is thrown away on a daily basis and they couldn't give a toss because its already factored in to the prices we pay.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Giving the pasties away will have saved Exeter money , the motorway services will probably have a waste removal contract where it doesn't matter how much is thrown away on a daily basis and they couldn't give a toss because its already factored in to the prices we pay.

Yep, hard nosed economics in a soulless world perhaps, but with Exeter you sort of get the feeling they're above all that shite.

Announcement before the game said The Co-op had just donated £20,000 to them - another organisation that proves there is still some heart left in this world :clap:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yep, hard nosed economics in a soulless world perhaps, but with Exeter you sort of get the feeling they're above all that shite.

Announcement before the game said The Co-op had just donated £20,000 to them - another organisation that proves there is still some heart left in this world :clap:

Didn't the Co-op write off much of what was owed by Sheffield Wednesday to 'ease' the sale of the club?

Helter

Jan 4, 2010
I had the last Pasty at half time and the younger chap told his mate to phone for more as the teams came out for the 2nd half. Just hope Falmers catering is better than that 3rd world shack and as for the toilets, Jesus Christ, when were they built? They reminded me of Lewes prison back in the late 80's when you shared a bucket for both.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Agreed , certainly won't see it happening at Falmer , the profit motivation will get in the way.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't the Co-op write off much of what was owed by Sheffield Wednesday to 'ease' the sale of the club?

I think they wrote off at least £6M of the debt otherwise they would have lost a lot more if the club wasn't sold by a certain date and wound up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

As far as I can make out, The Co-op basically had it in their power to let The Owls go to the wall. That they didn't was probably a genuine mix of community grounded ethics and hard nosed business sense ( see seagullsovergrimsby post ). Make of that what you will.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It really is a case of if an unfortunate ate something past the sell by date and they could stick a whacking great PL claim against them if they fell ill and it could be related back to the foodstuff. The ambulance chasing lawyers would love it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here