Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Freddie to retire from test cricket

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff is set to announce he is quitting Test cricket after the Ashes series against Australia, BBC Sport understands.

The hero of England's victorious 2005 Ashes campaign has fought a constant battle against injuries and may now concentrate on one-day cricket.

Flintoff, 31, is currently battling to be fit for the second Test at Lord's because of his latest knee problem

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Beer and Pedalo manufacturers must be rubbing their hands in anticipation.

A crackering cricketest, and one that could have been on top of the world were it not for injury after injury. Freed has raised the profile of cricket, and he always be remembered for the 2005 Ashes and that pic with Brett Lee

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
actually Englands results when freddie hasnt been playing is superior to when he is in the team !!!

Indeed ...considerably so.

It's sad news for Freddie because he seems like such a great bloke and is obviously well liked by the public and other players but, 2005 aside, he's not really got a fantastic test record. England play much better without him in the side - which is why assorted Australians have been banging on about how Flintoff is vital to England. They're desperate for him to stay in the side.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
Very disappointing. Is the pain really enough to stop him representing millions of people, especially when you are one of the best. Letting the country down I feel.
Wonder how much 4 day crick he will play for Lancs.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Since he got rich he hasn't wanted to play,talks to the media like a disgruntled schoolboy and as soon as the going has got tough has thrown in the towel.Pathetic and good riddance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sad but inevitable.

The cynic in me says by cutting down he's engineering 4 or 5 years of unfettered IPL to set him up for life.

I think he needs to get away from the rain in Manchester and come down here where its sunny, maybe sign a one-day only contract? Imagine having Wright, Freddie and Prior in the same team, ah well...

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Just means he can now play in the IPL every year and not be contracted by England. He wants to concentrate on the short form of the game, nothing to with money - honest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It took England 10 years to replace Botham, so where will this leave us?

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Very disappointing. Is the pain really enough to stop him representing millions of people, especially when you are one of the best. Letting the country down I feel.
Wonder how much 4 day crick he will play for Lancs.

What a load of rubbish. How many more times doe she have to go through 3-6 months of recovery after yet more surgery? Injuries take their toll, it must get harder and harder to get motivated to come back from another injury. I wouldn't begrudge him the chance to have another 4-5 years of playing one day and 20:20 games. He has more than done enough "representing millions of people".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Genuine all rounders are very few and far between. In other teams at the moment they don't really exist. Maybe Kallis at South Africa but thats about it at the top notch level. Going back to the "England are better without Freddie" lets not forget that often Freddie has been recovering or rested when we have played the minor nations so lets not jump on that too much. There is no way an England side is better with Freddie not in it, just no way. The balance he brings to the side as well as his skills dictate that in my opinion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We replaced Botham when Flintoff cemented his place in the side.

Until that point we'd tried Pringle, De Freitas, Capel, Cowdrey, Chris Lewis, Reeve, Ealham, Cork, Craig White, Adam Hollioake, Ben Hollioake, Irani and Gavin Hamilton without any sustained success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here