Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fraser captain, Loft scores.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Port Vale 2-1 Wolves.

Doug Loft put Vale in front, and the team were captained by Tommy Fraser. The match report said of Fraser (no, it did, honestly), "One who caught the eye for the second time in his two appearances was Tommy Fraser, whose range of passing and ball retention was something Vale have not had for the last few seasons". :laugh:

So, Fraser captained them and could well be appointed club captain (yet to be announced), and Doug Loft scored the opener. So, they're not doing badly up there!

(I haven't seen this mentioned, though I'm not suprised)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
To be fair I think they'll both do well there, I think league 2 is probably about their limit though.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wait until the competitive stuff starts is all I'll say.

Micky must be seriously losing the plot now. As if signing Fraser wasn't moronic enough from the great man, making him captain would deserve a sectioning I'm afraid.

Of course, but it's not a bad start for them. Fraser is obviously highly rated by the club, Port Vale are one of the few clubs I have no links with whatsoever, so I'm not sure what the fans make of him. But if the website keeps waxing lyrical about him, they'll be happy enough. As for Doug scoring, well. I'm just not suprised, playing against Wolves and scoring a goal.

I thought that. :laugh: But people spoke about Fraser as a future Brighton captain, so it's not that suprising. He's a very cocky sod, I know that from experience... I think he might actually be a decent captain for them, if they really have noone better. He's quite experienced despite his age, and in a higher league.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fraser will be a decent captain. He is the sort of person that demands 100% from all players. An early day Charlie Oatway - certainly did not deserve the abuse he recieved from sections of our crowd.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Port Vale were so outrageously shite last year that I expect they've got about 18 Tommy Fraser's. Might as well just let them all draw straws as for who is to be captain. Sorry Micky, you're a truly wonderful man, but I think you've got another struggling season coming up.

They were cack last season, true. But I think it's fair to say Fraser is probably a bit better than most of their other players, which is a little bit sad perhaps for them, but hey. They'll soon find out, it's good for Tommy to go somewhere he's actually rated. He was never going to be overly popular or rated at this club, a fresh start will do him well. Same with Doug Loft, who isn't trying to change perceptions anymore.

I think Micky will do a good job there, I doubt they'll be going up, but they'll be doing ok in my opinion.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
I think that Fraser will certainly have a proper professional career, he was by far from our worst player last season and given a decent club setup where the squad isnt changing every week and he can get properly settled in he'll be solid - in the fourth tier at least. Hopefully the same for Loft. Just hope Micky has more sense, and luck, this year and actually builds a comitted squad.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
One thing I wasn't particularly surprised to hear was Kerry Mayo saying when he retired he'd had an offer from Port Vale.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
Fraser was cack last season...a very limited player who we are well rid off and will not miss....I've rarely seen a pro footballer with less of a clue what to do with the ball when in possession.

D

Deleted member 2719

Letting Fraser go has been RS only big error but i don't think it will effect us with the backing we now have.

Good luck Tommy.

Lush

Mods' Pet
MA seems to be one of those managers who likes to bring in his own players - ie players who he's worked with before and could trust to be 'on his side'. Although Fraser and Loft (and Kerry if it hadn't been for his injury) are hardly in the same league as Cullip, Oatway and Carpenter, I can see what he's trying to do.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pleased for both of them, the mean spiritidness of some Albion fans continues to suprise me.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
Good to see Geoff Horsfield getting it sorted out at Port Vale. ;)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
MA seems to be one of those managers who likes to bring in his own players - ie players who he's worked with before and could trust to be 'on his side'. Although Fraser and Loft (and Kerry if it hadn't been for his injury) are hardly in the same league as Cullip, Oatway and Carpenter, I can see what he's trying to do.

I think that is the one trick of what it appears was a one-trick pony. As you say the the quality of the players is not what it was - so it could just be one way for MA from here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here