Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fowler

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Could he make a late run for the England team? Hasn't done much for a couple of season's and only scored a hatrick against mediocre opposition but is a complete natural in front of goal. Having watched greedy little Defoe, who everyone seems to think will go to the World Cup last night I know who I'd prefer as a reserve striker for England.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
can't see him keeping up his form for long enough. Read that Darren Bent is knocking on England door

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Your havin a bubble Icy. He wasn't even a England regular when he was good, he's not gonna get near the squad now.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
80's Seagull said:
Your havin a bubble Icy. He wasn't even a England regular when he was good, he's not gonna get near the squad now.

But he was not an England regular, due to his injuries and the fact that to start with there was Shearer and Sheringham and then Owen appeared.

However there is no chance of him going to Germany, firstly because the injuries have taken a lot out of him and secondly he slagged Sven off in a book after the last World Cup.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We are hardly blessed with decent options after Rooney, Owen and arguably Crouch.

Johnson, Defoe and ????? Fowler is better than either of those imo and has proved it in a much better club team, although there have to be question marks about his fitness and potential at this stage of his career.

Sven's pig headeness is probably the main reason he won't get a look in even if fit and able but he could "do a job" imo :)

Old timers do occasionally make come-backs

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
We are hardly blessed with decent options after Rooney, Owen and arguably Crouch.

Johnson, Defoe and ????? Fowler is better than either of those imo and has proved it in a much better club team, although there have to be question marks about his fitness and potential at this stage of his career.

Sven's pig headeness is probably the main reason he won't get a look in even if fit and able but he could "do a job" imo :)

Old timers do occasionally make come-backs

You are correct that old timers do comeback, Sheringham kept disappearing from the squad, but still went to the last World Cup.

However with regards to Fowler, those injuries have robbed him of some pace and part of his game was getting past players over 10 yards.

I think this summer if Owen or Rooney are injured we have an issue as none of the others inspire confidence. Although not the greatest player, I would look at Vassell again, as he had a habit of being able to come off the bench and score.

Stumpy Tim

Icy Gull said:

No, the "main reason" he won't get in is because he isn't good enough. Sven's pig-headiness wouldn't get a look-in.

If he chose Fowler above Crouch, Defoe, & Vassell then I would have a BENNY

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Unashamed bounce after 4 goals in 5 games

and Stumpy I'd definitely choose him above Vassell and Defoe.

Last edited:

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I have been saying this for a while.

Defoe ain't doing it at the moment. Bent unbooked his seat on the plane with poor showing for England and his goals drying up in the Prem of late.

Ashton is unproven so really Fowler is the only real option to take with Crouch, Rooney and Owen.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Uncle Buck said:
and secondly he slagged Sven off in a book after the last World Cup.

BIG TIME as well

great book though !!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
REDLAND said:
BIG TIME as well

great book though !!

Isn't Sven big enough to accept that Fowler had a point? No guess not.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He's a poacher. Would be a perfect foil for Rooney. No one else in the country is as good a poacher as Fowler.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Stumpy Tim said:
No, the "main reason" he won't get in is because he isn't good enough. Sven's pig-headiness wouldn't get a look-in.

If he chose Fowler above Crouch, Defoe, & Vassell then I would have a BENNY

I assume we'll be taking 4 strikers though.

Owen, Rooney and Crouch have their seats on the plane booked!

This leaves a place for one more. Personally I'd like to see someone with a bit more height and weight than Defoe as backup. Fowler would not be a bad shout and I'd rather see a bit of experience than Bent.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Fowler, deary deary me. Scores a couple of goals and people start wetting themselves about him all over again. He's finished, and has been for about 8 years!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Lammy said:
I assume we'll be taking 4 strikers though.

Owen, Rooney and Crouch have their seats on the plane booked!

This leaves a place for one more. Personally I'd like to see someone with a bit more height and weight than Defoe as backup. Fowler would not be a bad shout and I'd rather see a bit of experience than Bent.

He certainly has more weight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
he slagged Sven off in a book after the last World Cup.
Told a few home truths more like.
Anyway, Fowlers washed up, finished. I'd rather we had Pauline Fowler in the squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here