Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forty years ago today

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
stairway13.jpg

For those too young to remember, a child being carried on his father's shoulders fell as fans were leaving the match a couple of minutes early at Ibrox, this caused a pile up and 66 people were crushed to death after falling onto each other.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Very sad. I find it strange that they would be playing Celtic on the 40th Anniversary. Some Celtic fans will obviously make reference to this tragedy during the game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully the minutes silence will be observed by all at the game.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A sobering piece here:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-style/real-lives/the-ibrox-disaster-remembered-1.1074153

just a very short extract
DEREK JOHNSTONE

Rangers player

I’ve still got the pictures of that day in my head. They will never go away. I remember coming out of the shower after the game and seeing people being brought in and laid out on the floor. There was no other place to put them. I remember thinking to myself, have they fainted? To be told what had happened really hit me. I don’t think I’ve ever got dressed so quickly in all my life. I think it was just panic. I needed to get out, because they might be bringing in more bodies.

I walked along a wee corridor outside the dressing room, and for some strange reason I turned right and walked down the tunnel and went out on to the track. That is when I saw all the bodies being laid out on the far corner. It was dark and cold, and people were working under the floodlights.

I don’t know if it was a policeman or a doctor, but I said to someone: “What’s happened?” I really didn’t know the extent of it. He said, “There are 30 bodies so far, and more to come.”

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hopefully...............but there are two sets of dickheads up there usually
You know, I can understand (although not agree with) the booing of soldiers, the sectarian songs, the gloating of wars from 320 years ago and all that, even if it is vile, bigoted shite that represents everything that is wrong with that part of the world.

But anyone stupid enough to boo the human tragedy which is 66 deaths of people who chose to watch a football match absolutely deserves a bloody good shoeing.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I never knew of this tragedy, truly awful. Let's hope the silence in honoured in the correct manner

Likewise, I am just too young to have heard about it, though the likes of Hillsborough, Bradford and the Heysel are stuck in my memory forever.

I think we have two hopes of the silence being observed in an appropriate manner, one of them is sadly Bob (who is dead) and the other is no! I really hope, for the memory of those who perished, that for one solitary minute an air of decency rises above the vile, puerile and backward sectarianism that pervades the city of Glasgow and its football teams.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
At first, it was believed that fans, leaving the stadium before the final whistle, had turned back when Rangers' centre-forward Colin Stein scored an equalising goal in the 89th minute.

But a fatal accident inquiry which heard evidence of the position in which the bodies were found, determined all of the victims had been leaving the ground.

Virtually none of the bodies showed any sign of significant injury. They had died, the inquiry decided, from asphyxiation or suffocation in the crush which left steel safety barriers buckled and broken.

Four decades later, one of the survivors, Ian Loch, recalled the horror of Stairway 13.

He said as they headed for the exits, fans were delighted with Rangers' equaliser, which came just a minute after Jimmy Johnstone had put Celtic into the lead.

"It was like a pack of cards where someone had fallen. Everyone was just going on top of each other and, really, you were just trying to fight for your own life then,"

"The air was just getting squeezed out of you. At first everybody could shout: 'Get back, get back.'

"But that soon fell silent because there was no air left in your lungs. You just felt it was like a vice in your body getting tighter and tighter."

He said he feared for his own safety as he felt his legs wrapped around the person behind him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It pre-dated Hillsborough, Heysel and Valley Parade but if was a truly horrifying tragedy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On 'Goals on Sunday' they just had a chat with the two guys hosting sky's coverage of the game, and they mentioned this event, so it appears that it's not going to be overlooked, at least by sky.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
On 'Goals on Sunday' they just had a chat with the two guys hosting sky's coverage of the game, and they mentioned this event, so it appears that it's not going to be overlooked, at least by sky.

I think they mentioned yesterday on R5 that they would be covering the game today, though not sure whether this would be commentary on the game or just some sort of article about the events of 40 years ago.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Indeed, well done all the fans

Exactly, on the radio you could hear a helicopter and seagulls...the sound levels on radio tend to amplify even the smallest sounds during a minute of silence...fair play to all in the stadium, who set apart the bitterest of rivalries to mark the anniversary in an appropriate manner, despite all expectation.

the vile, puerile and backward sectarianism that pervades *(1) the city of Glasgow and *(2) its football teams.

*(1) much of
*(2) two of

Actually, I'm not surprised this minute's silence was properly observed. I know enough fans of both clubs to know that the Ibrox disaster is one of the few things that they agree on. Well, there are no doubt a very few of the very worst bigots who rejoice in the deaths of Rangers fans, but Celtic have worked hard to make sure the very worst don't have season tickets - and no season ticket, no OF ticket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here