Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Forest Stewards yesterday

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What I read from this thread and the responses, is that being allowed to stand for any amount of time in any all seater stadiums (which is a requirement in the Championship isn't it?) is seen as a right, rather than an occasional privilege at the discretion of the club and stewards.

Why is it seen as a complete right to do it, instead of something that's occasionally overlooked or sparingly controlled?

I'm not putting any personal opinion into this, just saying it's a conundrum, a puzzling difficulty that is going to pervade throughout football supporting everywhere the situation exists.

Many here are defending the Forest stewards' right to demand people be seated, and then requiring the same be asked of the home fans. At Withdean it was the same going both ways, home fans demanded to see the away fans be asked, and away fans demanded the home ones be seated!

The ONLY way I can imagine this issue getting sorted out, is for there to be large areas of standing-only designated in football grounds in the top divisions as well as the lower ones. I don't think such an allowance or designation does exist, so how can any clubs solve it??
NMH for new European Sports Minister :thumbsup:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
There were two kids behind me (they were in the back row) and they couldn't see a thing. The afternoon must have been really boring for them and I wouldn't be surprised if they never wanted to go again.

When it is free seating then I have no problem with standing, I do it myself, health permitting but when it is sit in your allocated seat time then standing is selfish, pure and simple. In an all standing crowd there will be disadvantaged people; the old, the ill, children and the short. I don't have a divine right to spoil their day because I want to stand.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
You are allowed to stand in seated areas - in fact it i accepted you will. The Taylor report and the relevant legislation says that it is inevitable that supporters will stand "at moments of excitement."

It's "persistent" standing that is against ground regulations, not "standing" per se. The definition of "persistent" tends to vary from club to club and even from steward to steward which is problematical.

Some clubs are more enlightened/tolerant that others, and some clubs recognise that it makes sense to recognise that some people will stand and it's best to get them all at the back where they won't be in the way of those who don't want to or can't stand.

the only long-term solution is the common sense one - separate areas for those who want to stand and for those who don't/can't. Freedom of choice for all and safe-standing/rail seats as used in Germany take away any safety concerns.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
You are allowed to stand in seated areas - in fact it i accepted you will. The Taylor report and the relevant legislation says that it is inevitable that supporters will stand "at moments of excitement."

It's "persistent" standing that is against ground regulations, not "standing" per se. The definition of "persistent" tends to vary from club to club and even from steward to steward which is problematical.

Some clubs are more enlightened/tolerant that others, and some clubs recognise that it makes sense to recognise that some people will stand and it's best to get them all at the back where they won't be in the way of those who don't want to or can't stand.

the only long-term solution is the common sense one - separate areas for those who want to stand and for those who don't/can't. Freedom of choice for all and safe-standing/rail seats as used in Germany take away any safety concerns.

Unallocated seating , simple and effective.

Dirk Gently

Dec 27, 2011
Unallocated seating , simple and effective.

Yes, but that only works when stands aren't at capacity - you lose about 10-12% of capacity with unallocated seating because people leave spaces and there are lots of single seats. So if an area is sold out that's a non-starter. At Barnsley, though, it'll work like a dream, and the stewards are well versed in sending people who want to stand to the back.

Forest stewards, btw, are pretty well known as amongst the very worst in the 92.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Sorry if this fixtures, I must be blind if it does, can't believe nobody has raised this from yesterday.

Aside from the abysmal performance, the Forest stewards completely ruined the away day for myself and I imagine others yesterday and sucked the life out of a very large away crowd. I was standing a few rows from the front to the left of the goal, where others (not women and kids, but blokes) were gladly standing in the rows behind. Half way through the first half, the bald "c u next tuesday" of a steward made everyone sit down for no reason whatsoever. To my knowledge there was no explanation as to why we were being made to sit down. After ten minutes of being largely successful in making us temporarily sit down, he moved to the other end of the stand to do exactly the same thing.

By midway in the second half, he'd succeeded in making about 20 rows of the right side of the away stand sit down, and a few on the left side. Not only was their disparity in who he was stopping from standing, there was no reason given. He then proceeded to remove one fan along our row for refusing to sit down. Now, I wouldn't have the balls to stand up and risk ejection but I'm bloody glad someone did because this particular jumped up Hitler (I point out him in particular as he was the one giving the aggro in our area) was on a vendetta to get someone chucked out for absolutely nothing.

What was more so outrageous is that the home fans in the small stand on the side of the pitch were allowed to stand and so were the fans in the top right corner above us. When the bald twat moved to another area of the away stand to inflict even more grief, the other stewards seemingly were uninterested in trying to get us to sit down again.

Really poor treatment and spoilt the day due to the fact he was interfering with watching the game and also responsible somewhat for a subdued atmosphere. I will be emailing Forest/the stewarding company to complain as we were treated ridiculously and hypocritically.

They know it queitens us down , depriving our boys of vital support tactical play by the steward ours should do the same to the south stand

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Yes, I think what got me was that for 20-25 minutes, everyone was happy standing. I heard none of the people in the rows behind ask anyone to sit down. Hell, if someone did, I'd be the first to sit down as I know what it feels like being only 5'6". But after that the stewards (or baldy Adolf) forced certain rows to sit down for no apparent reason. If they have a law to uphold, then surely everyone should be made to sit down from the start? As it turned out, they caused a non-existent problem in which their zealous actions resulted, whether you think it's right or wrong, in a fan being ejected.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yes, I think what got me was that for 20-25 minutes, everyone was happy standing. I heard none of the people in the rows behind ask anyone to sit down. Hell, if someone did, I'd be the first to sit down as I know what it feels like being only 5'6". But after that the stewards (or baldy Adolf) forced certain rows to sit down for no apparent reason. If they have a law to uphold, then surely everyone should be made to sit down from the start? As it turned out, they caused a non-existent problem in which their zealous actions resulted, whether you think it's right or wrong, in a fan being ejected.

Other than conforming to the safety certificate you mean ? Obviously that doesn't excuse the lack for uniformity of enforcing the rules.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I understand the 'sitting in your seat' reasons as far as young childen, elderly etc etc etc are concerned.....( I take two of my young children to the Amex). I don't quite understand the 'safety' reasons for not being allowed to stand.

It is accepted by all, that standing at 'times of excitement' are allowed. What is more likely to be dangerous when for example, a goal is scored ....?

a) 20,000 leaping out of their seats from a 'seated' position......?

or

b) 20,000 cheering from a 'standing' position...........?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The forest fans to our left could sing what they wanted and no steward intervention.

The very boring "we can see you holding hands" and (in response to our Ole ole ole vicente) "ole ole ole your gay your gay".

The stewards made one or two attempts to make them sit down but gave up. Same in our part of the stand, until suddenly one our mates was ejected out the blue. Even the steward standing near us had no idea why and went to find out for us, but never came back, along with another mate who also went to find out what was going on and was also ejected from the ground.

That aside we had a good day, sat outside one of the pubs on the canal, packed with home and away fans and it was all very enjoyable, with some fine local beers as well.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
I personally thought they were good, helpful with dealing with questions. Didn't see them at all come near the back of the stand and when going in steward was saying "yeah, go where you like"

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Seems in vogue at the moment to belittle anyone that questions the rules the stewards try to enforce as if they are some unreasonable hooli. Get a life.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
(in response to our Ole ole ole vicente) "ole ole ole your gay your gay".

I did raise a snigger at that. That's the first gay chant I have heard in years which hasen't been chanted at us at least 20 times before.

The stewarding was a bit officious, but nursing a servere hangover from Friday I was only too happy to sit down. Standing up was a right effort. The game reminded me of the last time we were in the Championship. Shit for 90 minutes, backs to the wall defending and a goal from a set piece to protect.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I understand the 'sitting in your seat' reasons as far as young childen, elderly etc etc etc are concerned.....( I take two of my young children to the Amex). I don't quite understand the 'safety' reasons for not being allowed to stand.

It is accepted by all, that standing at 'times of excitement' are allowed. What is more likely to be dangerous when for example, a goal is scored ....?

a) 20,000 leaping out of their seats from a 'seated' position......?

or

b) 20,000 cheering from a 'standing' position...........?

And it's because of the Taylor knee jerk reaction that we have this strange inconsistency. Standing in itself isn't dangerous BUT the ground regulations require people to be seated. Safety certificates are issued based on a clubs ability to enforce this. Whether we like it or not we are meant to sit down and stewards will ( or should ) enforce this. I'm still surprised when people don't know or understand why stewards ask people to sit !!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here