Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For those who want McGhee sacked, look away now.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I still have faith in McGhee.

This lack of faith seems to be culminating after our heavy defeat to Reading. To be fair, he has one of the Hardest jobs in the league.

People seem to focus on "wasting" money on Turienzo, and how we should have got Shipperley or dabbled in the loan market. It is a lot easier to say that, than do that! You must remember that we didn't have planning permission at the start of the season and we unable to commit to long term deals for various players on high wages as our future was still precarious. Plus did any of the players mentioned want to join us?

It was much more sensible to get younger players in, on lower wages than commit to high wage players with a potential financial crisis.

Some of our earlier results in the season were disappointing. Draw at home to Crewe, a loss vs Sheff Utd. The team was very much in the infancy stage then and players were still finding their feet.

The real indicator of the vast gulf in finances, is when a team like Sheff Wed can offer £750k for a striker.

Who is really to blame for our lack of prowess in the transfer market? Well, without harping on, this goes back to the dark days of the Goldstone, which noone will forget in a hurry.

Dick Knight is certainly not to blame. The work that himself and the board have put into Brighton has secured our long term future.

McGhee has given us some stability and hopefully we will start to pick up points. There have been many positives this season. McShane has proved to be a valuable signing, Henderson and CKR have been very good signings. Carole and Frutos have been exceptional for free transfers.

When we have Carpenter, Hinsh, MacCammon back, we will have far more options and should be able to put a run together.

I for one, am thankful to McGhee for his tireless work that he has put into Brighton and he will have my continued support until he is no longer manager of Brighton or when he puts Leon in goal,

I expect a flaming or two, but lets try and keep the faith and get behind the team.

Altogether now... "Good old sussex by the sea..."

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The reason that Turienzo is focused on is that he cost a hell of a lot of money when we haven't got any and he hasn't even really be tested at this level. At least play him once and let's see what he does. 150k on someone he saw for 60 minutes in a friendly and probably some vidoe footage.

Irresponsible.

He is doing in hardest in very difficult circumstances but you have to wonder why peopl like Mayo can't get into their natural position as someone else who'd never played there has made it their own. Mayo has played at this level and is clearly fit yet McGhee plays a right sided midfielder there instead? Hmmmmm.

He's going to have to work very hard to keep this side up, I just hope he can find a couple of players in January or I can't see how we're going to get out of this mess.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Thats very true. I was hoping that Brighton could arrange some more reserve team friendlies and get El Turi playing more.

He obviously has something about him and perhaps deserves a chance soon. The trouble is we have too much competition in some parts of the field and not enough in others.

I think Mayo should be used sporadically. Against some teams, perhaps he might be found wanting for pace. He always gives his all, so I would rather have him playing than rotting in the reserves or on the bench. The tricky bit is how to incorporate Reid in if Mayo was to play. Who should we drop, when McShane is back, and we have a full quota in defence?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Personally, I think McGhee is a BRILLIANT manager. The idea of pitching Elphick up against Kitson in a back 3 / 5 was a GOOD one in light of Reading's superior wingers.

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Top post BOF !

The point I would add its all very well saying we should have brought this player and that player in during the summer but the fact is with the facilities we have (ie Withdean) it is very difficult to attract Championship quality players down here ! Apparently McGhee was after Parkin and Asaba but both turned us down to play at "bigger clubs".

This is not an excuse, it is a FACT, and until we get Falmer it will continue to be so.

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
The reason that Turienzo is focused on

No, the reason why Turienzo is focused on is because it's something that all the anti-McGhee goons can agree on.

I don't think they would your point on Kerry Mayo :lolol:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BarrelofFun said:
I still have faith in McGhee.

This lack of faith seems to be culminating after our heavy defeat to Reading. To be fair, he has one of the Hardest jobs in the league.

People seem to focus on "wasting" money on Turienzo, and how we should have got Shipperley or dabbled in the loan market. It is a lot easier to say that, than do that! You must remember that we didn't have planning permission at the start of the season and we unable to commit to long term deals for various players on high wages as our future was still precarious. Plus did any of the players mentioned want to join us?

It was much more sensible to get younger players in, on lower wages than commit to high wage players with a potential financial crisis.

Some of our earlier results in the season were disappointing. Draw at home to Crewe, a loss vs Sheff Utd. The team was very much in the infancy stage then and players were still finding their feet.

The real indicator of the vast gulf in finances, is when a team like Sheff Wed can offer £750k for a striker.

Who is really to blame for our lack of prowess in the transfer market? Well, without harping on, this goes back to the dark days of the Goldstone, which noone will forget in a hurry.

Dick Knight is certainly not to blame. The work that himself and the board have put into Brighton has secured our long term future.

McGhee has given us some stability and hopefully we will start to pick up points. There have been many positives this season. McShane has proved to be a valuable signing, Henderson and CKR have been very good signings. Carole and Frutos have been exceptional for free transfers.

When we have Carpenter, Hinsh, MacCammon back, we will have far more options and should be able to put a run together.

I for one, am thankful to McGhee for his tireless work that he has put into Brighton and he will have my continued support until he is no longer manager of Brighton or when he puts Leon in goal,

I expect a flaming or two, but lets try and keep the faith and get behind the team.

Altogether now... "Good old sussex by the sea..."
Great post. Problem is, although the points you make are very clear, succinct and correct, they are SO obvious and clear cut, that they're beyond the wit and comprehension of many on here.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: For those who want McGhee sacked, look away now.

The Large One said:
Great post. Problem is, although the points you make are very clear, succinct and correct, they are SO obvious and clear cut, that they're beyond the wit and comprehension of many on here.

2 wins this season is not good enough. Is that succinct and correct enough for you?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: For those who want McGhee sacked, look away now.

The Large One said:
Nope. Not nearly enough. It doesn't tell half the story. As I said on another thread, some people only look at the headlines.

But some of us go to games as well, Mcghees mistakes have cost points this year.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: For those who want McGhee sacked, look away now.

The Large One said:
Nope. Not nearly enough. It doesn't tell half the story. As I said on another thread, some people only look at the headlines.

To stay up we need to win more matches. We're half way through the season now. I will bet you 50 quid that if we have only won 4 games come the end of the season we will get RELEGATED. Something needs to be done and McGhee doesn't seem to have a clue what that is at the present time.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those who want McGhee sacked, look away now.

ChapmansThe Saviour said:
To stay up we need to win more matches. We're half way through the season now. I will bet you 50 quid that if we have only won 4 games come the end of the season we will get RELEGATED. Something needs to be done and McGhee doesn't seem to have a clue what that is at the present time.

But its ok as Brighton are still in touch...... well at somepoint they have to over take the teams you know.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Yes McGhee is doing well under the circumstances which have been done to death on here but if we dont win games we will go down. He has to turn draws into wins, 2 wins this season is poor and yes I know the history and so do all the other championship clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here