Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football - what does it mean to you?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It might seem like a bland and obvious question bearing in mind that this is a football board. But I do feel I've never really got to the nub of why so many of us follow it. Not so much why we support Brighton - I've come to terms with that. It's more a thought of why I like football in the first place. Or indeed why this is so 35 years on from first getting into it.

So as best you can, in terms of personal, societal, historical, political and international considerations - what does football mean to you?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I suspect it's different for different people.

I think for me there's some sort of in-built, caveman group, seige mentality thing going on. The atmosphere and the raw of the crowd, seeing others at Motorway Services making the long trip to a northern grot-hole, etc.

I think one of the big things, particularly in relation to the Albion, is the way that people are brought together from all walks of life... and you also get to see all sorts of peculiar towns (i.e. Oldham), that you would otherwise never visit.

A lot of people on here are very sporty and play football a lot, so perhaps there's a more direct link for them. I'm not a particularly sporty person though (unless you count hiking) and I assume there are others like me out there? That may even be worth its own thread.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought about this the other day TLO and I reckon that of the 20 people I know that I would generally call good friends, 18 of them love football and 15 of them support Brighton.
What does that prove ? Not sure as I`m still working on that.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
For me it's a day out with loads of friends izzunit. Normally the football is so rubbish that by 5.30 on a Saturday it is all forgotten about and we get on with drinking. I cant explain why else I would spend a couple of thousand quid a year doing something that more often or not (the 90 minutes of football) is shit/boring/soul destroying.

However when the football gets good, it becomes a great spectacle and gets you hooked

Most of my friends I have met whilst watching the Albion, but then you do meet some right weirdos too...

Lush

Mods' Pet
Watching people who are skilled at what they do in a way I could never be. The adrenalin rush of caring about whether you win or lose. Being with thousands of others who want exactly the same as you. Feeling part of something bigger than yourself. Having a good old shout. (Occasionally) being so happy that you can't stop yourself jumping and screaming for joy. A change is as good as a rest and it's all a world away from what I do the rest of the week. It's also why I'm not that interested in watching football on telly.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Had a similar conversation the other day.

If it makes any sense at all, I like supporting Brighton more than I like football as a whole. A couple of mates of mine will watch any footy going on the telly, be it Barnet or Barcelona. I'll watch some of the big games if there's nowt else on, and I'll watch footy in the pub, but other than that I can take it or leave it really.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
For me it's a day out with loads of friends izzunit. Normally the football is so rubbish that by 5.30 on a Saturday it is all forgotten about and we get on with drinking. I cant explain why else I would spend a couple of thousand quid a year doing something that more often or not (the 90 minutes of football) is shit/boring/soul destroying.

However when the football gets good, it becomes a great spectacle and gets you hooked

Most of my friends I have met whilst watching the Albion, but then you do meet some right weirdos too...

This weeks CLOCKWATCHING will be with Nicholas Lyndhurst.

imissworthing2

Mar 15, 2008
In the Valleys
Escapism for me, watchin any football brighton or otherwise allows me to switch off from my day to day life. Problem being its abit of a come down after the 90minutes are over and i find myself channel hoping to find some german football at 8 o clock in the evening quite alot.

That and the fact that the mother in law is always around and if I put the remote down for more than 2 seconds, some sci-fi shite will get turned on!!!:annoyed:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Doesnt actually mean too much to me anymore
Just dont enjoy going to Withdean for the money/atmosphere, its just unappealing. Would rather spend the day with the family

Having said that love the odd away game, the odd champions league game, cant wait for the world cup, and cant wait for Falmer where it'll be like a proper day out again

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
There are a number of reasons for me but like stated above a major factor has to be escapism. Getting away from the mundane day to day bullshit that we all have to contend with. For me though that escape isnt just for ninety minutes, its the whole day. A good old drink in the boozer in some dead end town followed by a good old sing song following the Albion. Where else can you shout, scream, rant and rave like that without getting your collar felt. For me Saturdays now are about letting go after a shit week at work supporting the team i love.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My love of football is not all about the Albion. I can watch a Sunday league match quite happily. It is an instinctive love. I can enjoy other games, like watching rugby. But I love football.

Oh, and rowing.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My love of football is not all about the Albion. I can watch a Sunday league match quite happily. It is an instinctive love. I can enjoy other games, like watching rugby. But I love football.

Oh, and rowing.

And not just watching. Playing as well. Not so much now - but knowing that I could control a ball, and could hit a half-volley, and could bend a ball with the outside of my boot. As Lush says - looking at far far better players and just admiring what they can do.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Oh, and rowing.

DKM finally admits he is busy within the Brighton 'firm'!!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009

Oh, and rowing.

Im a far cry from that. Its the Albion or nothing.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Its fun? Its just a great way to do somthing with a group, from wednesdays intence propper matches (which is still a laugh) to the kick about with the girls, who are all afraid of the ball.

But in terms of Barca or Barnet (to quote Pasty) i'm very much ignorant. I don't do prem football save for the few threads on here and the SSN bits on it, when i watch it. I love Brighton cause its a religion. I love football because football is the chance to live a dream, even if your never going to walk out at Falmer, you can pretend to be your hero's with mates, on some grotty park somwhere in the pissing rain, and smash a screamer or make an unstoppable save, knowing that on saturday, you'll be watching guys play professionally, knowing they started out whereyou started.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Social life.

Yeah it's entertaining sometimes, but it's often not. The game itself isn't as compelling for me as it used to be, because I miss the physicality we used to see, I miss the feeling that the players were "one of us" even at the very top level.

What that leaves, is a fascinating topic of debate, and a reason to meet up with my mates every couple of weeks, or to have a boys day out with my son. the experience for me is far bigger than the game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I've always lived and breathed the game to be honest, but in different ways. Watching Albion, following England (largely on the box), I enjoy watching it played at the very highest level but not as much as playing the game myself.

I have been passionate about my own club, lost my Albion mojo in a big way in the late 80s, rediscovered it - nowadays it ebbs and flows. Much as I love the club, I'm pleased the Albion doesn't affect my life to the extent it used to as a boy - there needs to be more to life.

But ultimately, I simply cannot imagine a life where the world's greatest game didn't exist. That would be a shit world IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here