Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

football on the bbc 09-10

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
i'm not sure if people are aware but the bbc have won the rights to show 10 championship games on terrestrial and all football league highlights from next season. Anyone know any more about the deal such as what time they'll show football league highlights, what day ect?

Insider

Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
I have been told by the BBC that FL highlights will be shown straight after MOTD, in a special MOTD FL edition. So around 11.30pm on Saturday evenings.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have been told by the BBC that FL highlights will be shown straight after MOTD, in a special MOTD FL edition. So around 11.30pm on Saturday evenings.

This is brilliant... but I hope they do a re-run the next day. At 11.30 on a Saturday I am either getting drunk, or in bed.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Do you know how comprehensive it will be? It won't just be 10 minutes at the end will it?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
i would have thought with MOTD FL it would have to be the length of the ' championship' on itv i.e 1 hour any less that and mawhwinney may have kittens

I hope your right but it would make the programme pretty long.... fingers crossed aye.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
I knew that the BBC has won the rights to the Football League ages ago but what I did not know is what was said further up the thread and that is they are only going to show 10 Championship games. This will basically mean they will hardly show any League 1 games and probably nothing from League 2.

As has already been mentioned they will stick to the big names so Newcastle will be the only one shown and if they do bother with League 1 then it will be either Charlton, Scumhampton, Norwich and possibly Leeds. That said there could be scope for them to televise our South Coast Derby.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I knew that the BBC has won the rights to the Football League ages ago but what I did not know is what was said further up the thread and that is they are only going to show 10 Championship games. This will basically mean they will hardly show any League 1 games and probably nothing from League 2.

As has already been mentioned they will stick to the big names so Newcastle will be the only one shown and if they do bother with League 1 then it will be either Charlton, Scumhampton, Norwich and possibly Leeds. That said there could be scope for them to televise our South Coast Derby.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Sorry, i didnt explain very well.

All football league games will be shown on a match of the day style programme on bbc. In addition the BBc will be showing 10 live championship games per season. As far as i'm aware they will not show any live games from league one or two.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Sorry, i didnt explain very well.

All football league games will be shown on a match of the day style programme on bbc. In addition the BBc will be showing 10 live championship games per season. As far as i'm aware they will not show any live games from league one or two.

No need to apologise, I actually read that as you meant it, as in only showing 10 live games, which is a pretty crap return to be honest.

Thimble Keegan
Littlehampton BHA

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I think Sky will still show live Football League games as well so the odd league 1 game will still be shown.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Awesome news.

And assuming it's a three year deal they can cover our penultimate season at Withdean through to our first at Falmer

:)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
no frigging adverts then ..........thank god

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I think Sky will still show live Football League games as well so the odd league 1 game will still be shown.

that is correct. bbc have an additional 10 games from the championship, and sky will continue with the same coverage of the football league. so it just means an extra 10 games a year will be televised.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Excellent no more "St Helier's Pear Cider, sponsors of this ITV soccer show" nonsense.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Are the rumours true that Mr Championship Matt Smith has also signed up to the BBC for it's Championship coverage as well as snooker and golf??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here