Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football League clubs have voted in favour of changes to the academy system-Why?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Under new rules clubs will be able to poach youngsters from smaller clubs for practically nothing. The current tribunal system will be scrapped.

"The new system will mean a selling club is paid £3,000 per year for every year of a player's development between the ages of nine and 11. The fee per year from 12 to 16 will range between £12,500 and £40,000."

You'd think this will make smaller clubs reconsider investment in youth.

Love football, hate the Prem.

Football League clubs vote to back controversial overhaul of academies | Football | guardian.co.uk

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I understand the Premier League was withholding its 'solidarity' payments until such a time that the measures had been voted through. Disgusting really.

"The vote was passed by 46 to 22, with three no-shows and one abstention." I would love to know who voted for what.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have asked the club the following question on twitter. It probably won't get an answer, but we'll see.

"@OfficialBHAFC How did the club vote in the EPPP vote today? Will this benefit or hinder our own academy plans?"

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Anyone who has an academy that regularly produces players would surely have voted NO. Whereas clubs, such as Portsmouth, who don't have a proper youth setup would undoubtedly have been short-sighted in the extreme and voted YES.

I will just look forward to the day that when/if they get their youth system together and produce a prodigy, he gets poached for a pittance.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Can someone please explain how it was before please? I'm a tad confused...

The clubs went to tribunal and stated the case and the tribunal decided the fee. This is a flat fee and now the big clubs can poach from all over the country.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
That's disgusting. How do we not hear about these issues before hand, and all of a suddern a vote occurs and the issues is decided like the change in number of subs from 5 to 7. Shocking.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Some examples...

"MK Dons agreed £1.5m (rising to £2m) fee with Chelsea for 14yo Oluwaseyi Ojo this week. Under new rules they'd get £46,500. Bradford City got £300,000 rising to £2m from Everton for George Green, Under new rules they'd get £59,000."

So, vote for that, or the League clubs lose £70,000 each per season.

It's at this point that you hope that the government really does have the teeth to get the FA to change.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Are they trying to kill off the game of football on purpose? Ridiculous decision.

Think of clubs like Crewe that depend on it, even us with Dunk, maybe its an idea to cash in now with the £5million offers being banded about?

Disgrace. At least it will be for the benefit of Man Utd, they could get the likes of Rooney, De Gae, Carrick, Young, Ferdinand, Jones, Smalling for pitance instead of £15million+ each

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Wow. The more I read the more I just can't believe this has been passed.

It seems a bit of a case of damned if you vote yes, damned if you vote no.... unless of course you're a prem team.

Joke.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
"If clubs had opted against the proposals, the annual funding they receive from the Premier League for youth development - over £5m-per-season - would have been withheld"

It said in the paper this morning that it only works out at £80k a club. Hardly a big loss.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Oh well, there goes Palaces academy model up in smoke at least.

that is an outrage in itself. That is one of the best in the country, they have produced great players and rightly got good money for some players. Without that money, they would be even more f***ed than they are now.

Then you have Man City building this multi million new academy? WTF for, all they'll do is buy some average player for £30million instead

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
From a related story earlier this week...

The key concern is the proposed scrapping of the football tribunal. Instead a set of payments would put a value on each year a player has spent at a club's academy. This would see initial fees significantly reduced, compared with those agreed under the existing system. Further payments would be triggered should the player take part in first-team football at the buying club; the selling club would also receive a percentage of future transfer fees.

So the lower clubs would get more money should the player make the grade, although that of course is open to abuse.

However, the Premier League's threat to withhold money it OWES Football League clubs if they didn't vote for it is disgusting. Like I said, I would have no problem if the government did make good on its threat to change the culture of the way football is run.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Why would any club vote for only 5 subs instead of 7? The people running these clubs are absolutely clueless or have an alterior financial motive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here