Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First experience supporting BHA

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
My dad took me to a game when I was really young at the Goldstone. The game was sold out and I was watching from on top of a garage in Goldstone Lane. I think it was Wolves in the cup and it would have been early 70s maybe.

Has anyone got any details on that game ie date, scoreline etc?

My Dad took me only once to a game, my very first BHA game. Was a midweek friendly against Chelsea, I would imagine about '72 or so, we lost 2-0. The one and only time I sat in the South stand.

chelsea in the fa cup! chopper harris and all??? thousands of the little poppets down that day! recall stepping into a sweet shop in queens road as the chelsea mob ran down must have been 500/600 of em!:moo: Recall a huge union flag in the chelsea end!:moo:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Brighton Reserves Versus Charlton Reserves 1976

This was a night where tickets for Brighton versus Derby in the league cup were available. You had to pay to get into the reserves game before you could buy a ticket for the Derby match. Derby were league champions at the time.

Any way 17,000 attended the reserves match and Brighton won 3 nil.
Fred Binney scored twice.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
They won 3-2.

I was at a school prize giving at Hove Grammar School - now Blatchington Mill. We could hear the crowd from there and at the end hundreds of boys charged across the school playing field to the exit in Neville Avenue. Bunked in the North Stand with ten minutes to go and as you say lost 3-2. Good memories of the Doog though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
my brother and I was "sent" by my Dad as we had just moved down in the summer of 74. " Why dont you and Paul go down to see Brighton? " But they are rubbish"

suffice it to say we went under duress and it was Crystal palace at home in August 1-0 and we were stood in the North West corner.

rest is history

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
I was at a school prize giving at Hove Grammar School - now Blatchington Mill. We could hear the crowd from there and at the end hundreds of boys charged across the school playing field to the exit in Neville Avenue. Bunked in the North Stand with ten minutes to go and as you say lost 3-2. Good memories of the Doog though.

Dougan & Hugh Curran up front they both scored if memory serves me correct ???

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I seem to remember Hugh Curran tried a really high lob from way out and it bounced almost on our goal line and up over the bar.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Dereck Dougan was a massive character and I'd have loved to have seen him but my memory is that he was injured and missed this game.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Dereck Dougan was a massive character and I'd have loved to have seen him but my memory is that he was injured and missed this game.

My memory - not so good these days - is that he played because everyone was laughing at the flooodlights shining off his bald head. Not many players in those days shaved their heads.

*Stands by to be corrected*

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good question. Never really was into footer as a kid and my dad (shame on him) never took me in the the 80's or to the cup final.

Couple of mates at school supported the Albion and I wanted to see at least one professional football match (having purchased some subbuteo) so of course I went along to the Goldstone and was hooked.

Didnt really miss any games after that until Gillingham.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Brighton - Doncaster '97

Last game at the Goldstone, first game for me. I was 9 years old, went with Dad & Uncle.
Loved every second.
1-0

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
1979 for me vs Mansfield or maybe Preston NE. My uncle took me into the West Stand. I strongly recall the smell of tobacco and the atomosphere in the dark recesses of the stand more than the football. I was eight at the time and whilst my abiding memory is not about the football match I was hooked (not on the tobacco mind!) I think we won 3-1

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
0-0 draw against Bolton at the Goldstone, probably early 90's, not sure exact season / year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here