Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First a burglar, now a robber removed from the human gene pool

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
:clap:

BBC News - Old Trafford florist Cecil Coley held over fatal stabbing

A 72-year-old florist has been arrested after a man was stabbed to death in a robbery at a Greater Manchester shop.

Police were called to the shop in Shrewsbury Street, Old Trafford, at 21:40 BST on Tuesday.

A 30-year-old man was taken to hospital with serious injuries and died a short time later.

Shop owner Cecil Coley was taken to hospital with minor injuries and is being held on suspicion of murder.

Police also said a man, aged 19, presented himself at Manchester Royal Infirmary with stab wounds on Tuesday and was arrested on suspicion of robbery.

Both he and Mr Coley were expected to remain in hospital overnight and will be taken into police custody on Thursday.

Police said a gun was found at the scene and was being forensically examined.

The dead man is believed to have been one of a number of men who tried to rob the shop.

+++++++++++++++++++

I guess the police have to be seen to be doing the right thing, but I fully expect the CPS to chuck this case into the gutter like the deceased burglar. :)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What exactly is the difference between a burglar and a robber ?

Is it that the former breaks in hoping to meet no resistance, whilst the latter is up for confrontation?

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
What exactly is the difference between a burglar and a robber ?

Is it that the former breaks in hoping to meet no resistance, whilst the latter is up for confrontation?

A Burglar operates during the hours of darkness.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Murder is pre-meditated is it not? How can someone acting out of alleged self defence be charged for murder and not manslaughter? Is it because the police want a conviction to keep their averages looking good and will accept a plea of manslaughter? I'm sure I'm missing the point, so, par for the course...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So you can rob at 5pm in the summer, but burgle at 5pm in the winter? Does one carry a lesser charge?

I think both, if I'm not mistaken, will get you a neg rep, regardless of the season.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hence the term daylight robbery. I can see where you're going with this ...

But how about when we've had the lion's share of possession, most shots on target, a moody ref and come away with nul póint....BUT it was an evening game under the floodlights. Does that still count ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
:lolol: That is true. Although there are some robberies that are revered. Robin of the Hood, being one.

But stealing from one's homies could get one in rather more bother than a neg rep situation, don't ya think ?

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Robbery is under the theft act. However the offender must have used force immediately before , or at the time of doing so (At the time of the theft)

Burglary needs the offender to enter as a tresspasser with intent to steal / commit crim. damage, GBH , or attempts to do any of the former.

Murder is pre-meditated is it not? How can someone acting out of alleged self defence be charged for murder and not manslaughter? Is it because the police want a conviction to keep their averages looking good and will accept a plea of manslaughter? I'm sure I'm missing the point, so, par for the course...

There's a suggestion that the shop keeper had a weapon behind the counter, presumably with the intention of using it if anyone attempted to rob him. I'd imagine the CPS would argue that's intent to kill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here