Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Sorry, I missed :p

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
A277 [High Street] Lewes, both ways between A2029, Eastgate Street, Lewes and Rotten Row

A277 East Sussex - High Street closed both ways between the A2029 Eastgate Street junction and the Rotten Row junction in Lewes, because of a serious fire.

Last updated: 5th September 2006 at 16:59

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms said:
not to him it wasn't!

Blimey hope nobody got hurt? My sister had a fire at her house a number of years ago & she had to throw the kids out of an upstairs window into the arms of neighbours. Very frighteneing.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Doesn't Gareth work in Lewes? Can our man on the spot report anything?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Man of Harveys said:
Doesn't Gareth work in Lewes? Can our man on the spot report anything?

I can report, from my office in Southover High Street, that it smells bloody rancid. I was told that it was above Mackay's but I can't be arsed to walk up there so that's all I know, I'm afraid.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
just taken me an hour and a half to get from cooksbridge crossing to newhaven :nono:

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
From the BBC:

High Street closed by shop blaze
More than 40 firefighters have been called to Lewes High Street to tackle a fire in the roof space between a shop and a restaurant.
Emergency teams said there were 10 appliances in the road which was now closed, causing major traffic delays.

No-one had been hurt in the fire, but crews expected to be at the scene into the evening, a spokeswoman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire broke out at about 1500 BST, above a clothing store, she added.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
mcshane in the 79th said:
From the BBC:

High Street closed by shop blaze
More than 40 firefighters have been called to Lewes High Street to tackle a fire in the roof space between a shop and a restaurant.
Emergency teams said there were 10 appliances in the road which was now closed, causing major traffic delays.

No-one had been hurt in the fire, but crews expected to be at the scene into the evening, a spokeswoman for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said.

The fire broke out at about 1500 BST, above a clothing store, she added.

Probably McGhee's fault .....

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
From the Argus, not far from Baker's house. And what sort of name is Iggi Pendragon?

Blaze brings Lewes to standstill

A fire devastated a town centre shop, bringing a high street to a close and causing rush hour chaos.

The blaze broke out in the roof space of Mackays, a bedding shop in Lewes High Street. It quickly spread through the historic timber building. Lewes Fire Service called for extra crews as the fire spread to the Adamczweski shop next door.

Incident Commander Pat Scott said: "This was a very significant fire and crews will be here most of the night damping down and ensuring it does not spring up again."

Workmen had been carrying out renovations to the building, which was covered in scaffolding.

continued...
Eyewitness Iggi Pendragon, 15, said: "There were no flames shooting out but there was a lot of smoke and at one point the windows blew out, showering glass all over the road."

Falling glass and roof tiles made the area immediately outside the shop dangerous.

Fire crews had to withdraw from the building when they discovered fireworks and flares had been stored in one of the upper floors.

Mr Scott said: "That made it a lot worse, there were a number of explosions going off near where the firefighters were working so we had to pull out and rethink our tactics."

An elderly man from the building next door was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. Nobody else was injured.

Lewes MP Norman Baker lives just four doors down from the fire. He said: "You could hear the timber crackling as it burnt.

We need to understand what happened here."

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
since when did "Firemen" become "Firefighters"?

Firefighter Sam doesnt quite sound the same

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dies Irae said:

Probably around the same time as "lorries" became "trucks" - I hate these Americanisms by stealth. Why doesn't the BBC - which could have a massive influence on these things - make a stand?

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Dies Irae said:

My son owns a Fireman Sam book in which Sam retains the title "Fireman", whereas Penny Morris (who appears to mainly be the first aider, rather than a ladder scaling, blaze drenching heroine) is given the title Firefighter. So you have Fireman Sam, Firefighter Penny Morris and Station Officer Steele. Hope that clears that one up........

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
what about Bella? Is she still the floosie at the Italian restauant who wants to play with sam's huge firemans chopper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here