Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Final Curtain

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Sadly "Stickys" are probably the most least read threads ever, we alll do say on many threads year in year out about the importance of reporting posts.

My idea was more to just have a permanent sticky which just said in the title something like "please report offensive/libellous posts", just having people glance over it when they read the board may result in more reported posts.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have a suggestion here. New threads need a 'moderator' to approve before they are posted up. It may take a few minutes to do but it ensures that dodgy starter threads are stopped before they can be put up.

Just a suggestion, maybe there are better ideas?

Appreciate your good works Bozza.

TNBA

TTF

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
Maybe more iffy posts would be reported if the 'report' icon was a bit more obvious? It does seem to be doing it's best to hide in the corner.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would something like this be helpful?

reportpost.jpg

I'm considering making a link to it my sig.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It's sad, but pretty predictable really. Alas; for when everyone with a voice is allowed a platform to express a fact as they see it, fantasy all too often clouds the reality.

Too many people have been allowed of the lead herein and regrettably, away from petty infighting, the next best attention seeking strategy is to say something utterly foolish.

I have to say the mods have traditionally done a decent job in striking a balance between freedom and control, I suspect that will change very, very soon. Good says I.

Kosh

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could there not be a disclaimer to the effect that all the views expressed are those of the individual poster and not that of NSC or the administrators and that any offenders identity would be given to the authorities if requested. Could there not be a click box to accept that when first registering or even now before you can post again. Or would this still not be sufficient to cover Bozza.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Would it help to have a disclaimer? NSP has one, but I don't know how much it protects against the problems talked about on this thread.

North Stand Polls disclaimer

Why does clicking on that link give the page title as Worthing Hockey Club? Are you sure they want to be associated with the sort of 'conversation' that goes on on NSP? :lolol:

FLAIRtastic

Aug 29, 2010
It's a football forum, talk about football - not difficult

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a football forum, talk about football - not difficult

But it's not is it ? It's a forum for Brighton supporters and covers everything from latest signings and scores, to latest national and local news, bowel movements and animals in fancy dress.

I really think that the law needs to be re-assessed in the face of new technology such that if the site owner has proven procedures in place to manage posts and posters, then that should be sufficient. But given how long it takes for politicians to change laws and the judiciary to interpret them, i can't see this happening in my lifetime.

Last edited:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
If you own and run a website and invite anonymous users to post whatever they want then you accept the risks and responsibilities that come with that. No amount of warnings or threats will deter people intent on posting contentious, libellous or illegal material and since the people that do this can do so in almost complete anonymity it is almost inevitable that it will happen at some point particularly if you have a large user base such as NSC. The only real solution is to moderate each and every post to ensure no such material makes it onto the board, that however is a draconian measure and with so many posts requiring moderation if would bring the board to a grinding halt and kill its spontaneous and fluid nature which is the whole point of it so that is not really a realistic option. The law in this area relating to the Internet is still largely untested and it is not as simple as say a newspaper printing something libellous because of the inherent complexities of the Internet. Many websites get round various laws in the countries they target or operate in by masking and shrouding details of their ownership and basing their servers overseas, perhaps this could be a future option? as for Bozza? I'm not suggesting he should take responsibility for this because someone else has caused this problem and now he is on the receiving end of the aggravation. If it was me I would close the site, delete all material relating to it and start up again using some of the methods listed above.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If it has become too much hassle, pull the plug and enjoy life more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The trouble is, you can never know which post in which thread is going to trigger the libel. Could be absolutely anything, either football-related or non-football-related. NSC is a fantastic independent asset for checking the state of the Albion or for checking on the latest doggy fashions, and it is a massively successful site, but maybe Bozza should now just take the money and flog it on. He's put his neck on the line for far longer than most of us would be comfortable doing, and for relatively little thanks. The boy must be a nervous wreck. Every single post is a potential libel, and there's no way on earth you can moderate against that happening.

Bozza = Albion-supporting, Albion-independent LEGEND! :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here