Final Curtain

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Nope but that is slander, however if you printed a poster saying a specific person is a pedophile and asked you local shop to put it up and they did, the shop would be committing libel.
But no one asked to put this up. I suppose in the eyes of the law it's up to Bozza to take it down as it is his site.
It's f***ed up that he should have the police knocking on his door because of something someone posted on here though.

It probably is...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I thought moderators were chosen due to the fact that the board can be covered at all times to fit in with working lives. Their was a fella on here recently who said he works nights and could moderate but I dont think anyone repsonded. Is the cover there from this team should anything not get reported ?

The thread in question surely the mods should of been all over it like a hawk ?

From what I can see in the moderation forums.... nobody reported a single post in this thread.

Between us we do cover most hours of the day and days of the week... and I would personally receive an email alert of any reported post, and can 'moderate' from my phone as well as any of the many computers I have access to. So, in most cases I and others would respond very quickly to a reported post (and that does not always mean delete stuff / ban people etc... it can mean engaging in lengthy PM exchange for example).

I can't and don't read every one of the thousands of NSC posts every day... we need everyone to play their part in keeping NSC on the road.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Without going into personal details, we do spend a disproportionate amount of our time on NSC, but even if we are online we can't read every thread.

A (very) simplified summary of UK libel law is:

A person is defamed if statements in a publication expose him to:
(a) Hatred or ridicule
(b) Cause him to be shunned
(c) Lower him in the estimation in the minds of "right-thinking" members of society
(d) Disparage him in his work

Allowable defence is:

(a) The statement is true
(b) The statement is fair, based on fact, and without malice
(c) Privilege (e.g. said in Parliament, such as the Premiership Footballer case)
(d) The statement is in the public interest.

IMO part of the success of NSC is that it is a board for football fans, and not exclusively about football. The amount of traffic on the board and Darwinism ensures that peripheral threads quickly disappear without trace, when there are big football issues they dominate the board, and when there are few then it's more of a minestrone.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I had assumed this was an Olympic closing ceremony thread. Sadly it isn't! People need to understand that they are putting things in public on here and it isn't just a chat amongst mates.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you say "In my opinion <insert wild accusation here>" does that still count as free speech or is it still illegal?

It would, I think, have to be an opinion.

i.e. "In my opinion [name] is an unpleasant person who shouldn't be in charge of [business]" would be ok, whereas "In my opinion [name] likes to fornicate with goats" isn't ok. Because whether or not he fornicates with goats is a factual thing.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Firstly I support Bozza 100% on whatever decision he takes even if that means shutting NSC down ( although I'd like the opportunity to be given to others to run it and take the risk first ).

It's simple, don't create threads about ongoing police investigations or court cases - if someone does then report them. That way we can keep the variety of NSC that we all love but keep Bozza out of prison. It's exactly how the Argus online works ( although it hurts me to suggest they have it right ! ).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mods: would it be advisable for users to report threads that have the potential to cross lines? I know it would be more work than actual posts that need reporting, but if we see a thread about the latest big news story with legal ramifications, if we report the thread to say "hey, this thread is discussing X, thought you might want to keep an eye on it" it allows you to keep on top of it rather than waiting for someone else to report it, which may or may not happen.

Admittedly, everythread could, in theory, lead to someone crossing the line, but some are more likely than others.

Dec 29, 2011
Firstly I support Bozza 100% on whatever decision he takes even if that means shutting NSC down ( although I'd like the opportunity to be given to others to run it and take the risk first ).

It's simple, don't create threads about ongoing police investigations or court cases - if someone does then report them. That way we can keep the variety of NSC that we all love but keep Bozza out of prison. It's exactly how the Argus online works ( although it hurts me to suggest they have it right ! ).

I'm pretty sure NSC would continue in some form should Bozza step away from it. He's stated before he's been offered a lot of money for NSC, and i'm sure he would sell it rather than shut it down. That'd be like setting 50k on fire.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
That won't necessarily help.

Which implies it was personal libel in this case meaning it wasn't the Tia thread. I agree my idea doesn't cover every possibility but surely it's a start ?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Mods: would it be advisable for users to report threads that have the potential to cross lines? I know it would be more work than actual posts that need reporting, but if we see a thread about the latest big news story with legal ramifications, if we report the thread to say "hey, this thread is discussing X, thought you might want to keep an eye on it" it allows you to keep on top of it rather than waiting for someone else to report it, which may or may not happen.

Yes - I would be very happy for people to report threads like that.... and it is something mods already do to raise awareness amongst ourselves.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It would, I think, have to be an opinion.

i.e. "In my opinion [name] is an unpleasant person who shouldn't be in charge of [business]" would be ok, whereas "In my opinion [name] likes to fornicate with goats" isn't ok. Because whether or not he fornicates with goats is a factual thing.

Would you not have to give a reason why the unpleasant person shouldn't be in charge of a business? He/She could argue that you have affected his business by posting your opinion. (I don't know either way).

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I shall certainly be reporting dodgy posts in future. I can think of at least one that could have caused this problem, but I ignored it at the time...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Which implies it was personal libel in this case meaning it wasn't the Tia thread. I agree my idea doesn't cover every possibility but surely it's a start ?

I agree it will help to filter out some issues, which is why we had just the one thread in relation to a footballer(s) related trial on NSC.

However if you name a person (or family) on the board for a non-legal related issue then it could also be deemed a libel.

We get about 4/5 posts reported each week, IMO the vast majority of posters keep things on the right side of the line, irrespective of whether you agree with their views or not.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I shall certainly be reporting dodgy posts in future. I can think of at least one that could have caused this problem, but I ignored it at the time...

I was very unhappy with a thread too-i just thought disgrace.....to that end i am guilty too

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Bring back Rep

And how would that make a moron engage its brain before posting?

I looked at the (potential) thread in question and saw a pretty tasteless remark-maybe I should have reported it when I saw it. The report button is much more important than 'rep' which only helped stroke egos.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here