Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Final Curtain

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't the act of libel risk jeopardising any criminal investigations? I think that's what people are getting at here. It's why you can't post comments at the bottom of news articles during an active enquiry or during judicial proceedings.

In theory I suppose, but an obscure messageboard about a second division football club ? If the police have the resources to monitor and crack down on every dodgy post on every internet messageboard in this country and beyond about an open case, then perhaps they're not as "stretched" as we are led to believe.

Unless perhaps someone actually contacted the police with a complaint about the thread or post.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Doesn't the act of libel risk jeopardising any criminal investigations? I think that's what people are getting at here. It's why you can't post comments at the bottom of news articles during an active enquiry or during judicial proceedings.

Pardon me for butting-in, but you're absolutely right. That said, I notice that a number of the online papers have comments that could well be construed as both Libellous &/or highly likely to prejudice any trial that may come about regarding the current murder inquiry. I guess the difference in forums such as NSC is that the owner is somewhat unlikely to have millions of pounds to stick behind any potential Defamation case...

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There's a HUGE difference between 'going too far' and posting something libellous based on hearsay that cannot be backed up.
This stuff is being taken very seriously recently as the Twitter arrests have made clear.
I don't know how many times I have to issue warnings about this, but a police visit on the day I leave for my holiday is the last thing I need.
Thanks.

It might sound like stating the bleeding obvious and sorry if it's an oversimplification but couldn't you distance yourself somewhat if everyone had to accept a set of T&C's that limited the extent of your responsibility and made the individual responsible for their statements etc etc. Added to the fact that there is a reporting mechanism and a bunch of moderators ready to deal with exceptions.

Doesn't make up for the crap you'll have to encounter from time to time, but might limit it to a pain in the neck rather than anything more serious.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Perhaps we (me included) should be using the "report this post to a moderator" more often?

No idea what this is about but we all have a duty to help maintain this site and assist moderators where possible.

This is definitely true. It is impossible for the mods to read every post either individually or collectively, so reporting is the best way to draw our attention to them.

I personally would rather have more 'false positives' than allow NSC and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] to be exposed to this sort of legal threat.

We can deal with 'the boy who cries wolf' or people who report stuff who have an agenda... that is easy... but once you have a situation like this, it is just bad for everyone.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
In theory I suppose, but an obscure messageboard about a second division football club ? If the police have the resources to monitor and crack down on every dodgy post on every internet messageboard in this country and beyond about an open case, then perhaps they're not as "stretched" as we are led to believe.

Unless perhaps someone actually contacted the police with a complaint about the thread or post.

It's obviously the latter. Strange that a 'regular' would go down that road.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

I wouldn't put it past some bitter individuals, frankly. Remember the complaint levelled against the "Seasiders" chant when we played Liverpool in the League Cup last season? It just goes to show that anything's possible these days.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In fairness what makes NSC so good is the fact that other things are discussed. However some people need to understand the difference between voicing an opinion and libel. Just because you are hid behind a computer does not mean that anything you write is any different to putting a poster up and handing out leaflets with the same message.

Actually it makes it a free for all so stuff like this happens again....and again and again. Not the first time and wont be the last.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
In fairness what makes NSC so good is the fact that other things are discussed. However some people need to understand the difference between voicing an opinion and libel.

I know for a fact that I don't know where the line is between voicing an opinion and libel. I think it's highly complex and I can imagine a lot of perfectly innocent posts are made which might be considered libellous. I've read all sorts of stuff that I think could be considered as libel or slander. It's a minefield, I have my general rules as I guess most do and no idea at all weather they are right, but until someone tells me otherwise I assume they are

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I don't understand the law on these matters. If some one stood on a soapbox at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park and incited racial hatred or made slanderous remarks against an individual would those who provided that platform be in trouble ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Must admit I didn't bother to open that thread - given the subject and the location in relation to CPFC I figured it was a recipe for tastelessness at very least - guess I was right :(

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I don't understand the law on these matters. If some one stood on a soapbox at Speakers Corner in Hyde Park and incited racial hatred or made slanderous remarks against an individual would those who provided that platform be in trouble ?

Nope but that is slander, however if you printed a poster saying a specific person is a pedophile and asked you local shop to put it up and they did, the shop would be committing libel.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's obviously the latter. Strange that a 'regular' would go down that road.

Trouble is, it doesn't have to be a regular. It could be many of the thousands of guests who view this board. Highly likely not even an Albion supporter. (If this is what happened, of course).

Maybe we should have members only?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is definitely true. It is impossible for the mods to read every post either individually or collectively, so reporting is the best way to draw our attention to them.

I personally would rather have more 'false positives' than allow NSC and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] to be exposed to this sort of legal threat.

We can deal with 'the boy who cries wolf' or people who report stuff who have an agenda... that is easy... but once you have a situation like this, it is just bad for everyone.

I thought moderators were chosen due to the fact that the board can be covered at all times to fit in with working lives. Their was a fella on here recently who said he works nights and could moderate but I dont think anyone repsonded. Is the cover there from this team should anything not get reported ?

The thread in question surely the mods should of been all over it like a hawk ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must admit I didn't bother to open that thread - given the subject and the location in relation to CPFC I figured it was a recipe for tastelessness at very least - guess I was right :(

Nor me. Like you, I have no idea what was said, or even the direction the thread was going in.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nope but that is slander, however if you printed a poster saying a specific person is a pedophile and asked you local shop to put it up and they did, the shop would be committing libel.

Ok I see that. I suppose if they were handing out printed literature of a similar nature from that same place then it might become slightly grey.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Bring back Rep

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah, in which case it wasn't me as I didn't post in that thread.

Good luck Bozza, enjoy your holiday and don't worry about this until you get back.

I would like to think that the offending poster(s) has already been banned by the mods. Following on from that, anyone posting now should be in the clear.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham

I did open the thread and saw a tasteless comment about a football suporter from that area and just as quickly closed the thread and moved on so yes mate i think you where right too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here