Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Films with live scores

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've done a couple of these in my time.

I saw The Battle of Algiers with a live score by The Asian Dub Foundation. Worked really well; it is a great movie given an extra dynamic by the cleverly blended live score. Subtle when it needed to be, loud when it needed to be. It was always about the film.

I also saw Run Lola Run with a live score by The Bays. Good film but the live score didnt work for me. Score was too clumsy and took over at times. At times it was more like a gig with a backdrop.

What have other people seen? Thoughts, views etc.

Any ideas on the perfect film and band combo?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
i saw the run lola run with the bays as well. i know what you mean, it was a bit disjointed but i still thought it worked really well. the tension in the film was nicely articulated through the music.

also helped that the bays are immense and the film is a cracker!

these things only realy work with a foreign language film though don't they, so you can read the subtitles and listen to the live score.

what's the BSP one at the duke of yorks then?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I saw Buster Keaton's The General with live orchestral backing conducted by Carl Davis.

Marvellous stuff. Raised an already superb film into the stratosphere.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
what's the BSP one at the duke of yorks then?

Man Of Aran I should imagine, I saw them perform it at the Sing Ye From The Hillsides festival at the Tan Hill Inn last year. Lets hope that they plug the laptop playing the DVD into the mains this time rather than relying on the battery!! ;)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched The Quiet Man one Saturday afternoon whilst flicking over to Soccer Saturday during the ads. Think we lost at Bradford.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here