Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2012

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Men in Black III 2D
In the build up to the release of this, I've been trying to remember the previous instalments. I can quite clearly remember the first. But I struggle to remember much of the second. I remember K being in a post office, and johnny knoxville and lara flynn boyle taking over the headquarters, but that's about it. I remember when it came out I enjoyed it enough, though it was clearly a level below the first. From what I do remember, I would say this instalment was better than the second, though still not as good as the first.

This is pretty much more of what has gone before, but don't expect it to reach the levels of the first film, and you should enjoy it enough.

Moonrise Kingdom
I'm not sure really what to say about this one. I did enjoy it, though I'm not sure it has main stream appeal.

Again, for the third time in my last 5 cinema visits, there has been a man (the same man, I believe) who seems to go to the cinema for an afternoon nap. It's not an indication of the quality of the film, he sleeps from before the film starts. I know this because he snores. I really wonder why anyone would pay to use the cinema as a sleeping place.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Iron Sky - I'm confused - surely it only had its cinema release in the last week or two, and yet the DVD is already on sale in Tesco and number one in the DVD chart. Anyone?........ Anyone?...... Bueller?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Iron Sky - I'm confused - surely it only had its cinema release in the last week or two, and yet the DVD is already on sale in Tesco and number one in the DVD chart. Anyone?........ Anyone?...... Bueller?

It happens occasionally. Especially with smaller movies. Sometimes films aren't expected to do well at the cinema, but due to certain deals have to be released so get a limited run. For example, WWE had a deal with Walmart in the US for exclusive promotion of the dvd versions of their films, but only on the condition they were movies that had been out in the cinema, so their films were always in limited numbers of cinemas for two weeks just for that reason.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It happens occasionally. Especially with smaller movies. Sometimes films aren't expected to do well at the cinema, but due to certain deals have to be released so get a limited run. For example, WWE had a deal with Walmart in the US for exclusive promotion of the dvd versions of their films, but only on the condition they were movies that had been out in the cinema, so their films were always in limited numbers of cinemas for two weeks just for that reason.

Fair enough. I'd heard of 'straight to DVD' before, but not 'straight to DVD...and cinema'!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Prometheus.
Visually fabulous and intensely neat in look, but lacks the suspense and oozing actuality of its epic godfather. Far better than some of the sequels, but this time a sometimes ludicrous script, a rehash of some of the episodes of Alien and any element of character given to the menace of another world. Not disappointed as it was stunning to look at mostly, but unmoved and a little disinterested thanks to a jumbled and occasionally stumbling tale.
Well worth seeing though, if not listening to.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Moonrise Kingdom - for me the acid test of any film is whether I would want to watch it again. I wouldn't want to watch that again. Style over substance. First time we'd sat upstairs at The Duke of Yorks - comfy seats, but it felt as if you were miles away from the action, looking down on an auditorium of people who were actually at the cinema, while we were merely observers looking in from 'outside.'

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Snow White and the Huntsman
M'eh. I can't really be bothered to go into detail on it. It wasn't offensively bad, but it wasn't particularly great.

Prometheus
I have the alien and predator films in a boxset, but I've never been a huge fan of them. They're good films, and I enjoy them when I watch them, I just don't have a particularly strong connection to to them, so wasn't particularly excited by the idea of the film, and the trailers didn't do a lot to change that. The film itself was decent enough, but nothing particularly special. The performances are decent enough, I just didn't really connect with it. An underwhelming double bill.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Looking forward to:

• Taken 2
  • The Bourne Legacy
  • The Amazing Spider-Man
  • World War Z
  • Total Recall
  • The Hobbit
  • The Dark Knight Rises
  • Hit Somebody
  • Ted

A couple of these may have been released already, not really keeping up with new films.

Also, when is Sin City 2 & 3 coming out?!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Sin City 2+3 don't have release dates yet. There's mystery around whether they're actually being made

rock of ages
I think, like with mamma mia, if you break it down and analyse it, it is very flawed.
The leads - while julianne hough and diego something were decent singers, they were very stage school singer types. They did occasionally manage to get some rock grit in their voice, but mostly their singer was smoothly inoffensive.
Tom Cruise - was better than I anticipated, at least at singing, but his character was a little weird
Alec Baldwin - as feared, basically played himself in a rock costume. He looked like he wasn't comfortable in the role, or comfortable rocking out.
Russell Brand - harder to just ignore than one might hope as he puts on a brummie accent, except it occasionally sways into scouse.
The songs - not all of them were as recognisable as the ones in the trailers
CZJ - annoying
But, like with mamma mia, everyone seemed to be enjoying it, and there was an energy to it that makes it fun to enjoy, despite all the flaws. Not as fun as mamma mia or hairspray, but fun enough.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
It occurred to me last night from the apparent ages of the audience that there will be loads of people who have never seen JAWS on the big screen before.

I love this film, and watch it every time its on TV. Its obviously years since I saw it on the big screen and I thoroughly enjoyed this 2012 redited and tarted up version.
Quint is such a great character, played brilliantly, and I realised that I know most of the screenplay by heart.

A true movie classic 8/10

As many times as I have seen the original, there is no doubt that this is a big screen film. It was in the 70s and it is now worth going to see while its on - which I don't think will be long. I don't know how much it cost to re-edit and re-release this film, presumably a fraction of the cost of making a new film. Even so, I wonder if they will get their money back.

I imagined Cineworld at the Marina might be quite busy, with the weather being shite, and this movie being on amongst a number of other well trailed films. But no. Saturday early evening, no quque at the ticket office, no queues at the rip of refreshments, hardly anyone in screen six.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
You queued twice? You can get tickets at the refreshment stand.

I don't do their drinks/sweets. But rarely have I see no queues at either.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
When he looks back on all the films he has made, surely Bruce Willis will give a little shudder when he thinks of LAY THE FAVOURITE I enjoyed the last five minutes, but overall this was most certainly ot his greatest hour.

Based on a true story, Willis' character is a professional gambler from Las Vegas who gets involved with this bird from the south and teaches her the gambling game. She shoots off to New York and works for an illegal bookie with big money but dangerous consequences. Willis turns up to help, not in a sweaty filthy vest this time.

The climax of the film helped increase my rating to 4/10

Once again Cineworld at the marina was virtually empty. Six people were in screen 3 for the 20.40 film on a Thursday night, and the whole place seemed deserted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here