Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Filling Falmer - The BT Repair Man's Story

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just had the BT repair man round to fix our phone line (turns out the wire up the pole had corroded). Phone point is in my office and he spotted the Amex photo I use as a desktop background on my PC.

He immediately knew it was Brighton's new stadium. Was incredibly impressed. Explained to me that he'd seen it a couple of times and though he doesn't follow a team (more of a rugby man apparently) he's intending to get down to give it a try.

He knew that Brighton were playing good looking football and that we are six points clear. He fully expects us to be in The Championship next year (wish I was so optimistic).

So this is a rugby-following bloke, with no allegiance to a particular football team, from Crowborough, who is starting to be swept up by the excitement of Falmer and the way Gus is getting our team to play. He's engaged enough to the point that we wants to come down and see what all the excitement is about.

This really is starting to happen - I'm starting to believe that we really could fill that place.

:albion1: :amex:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Continuing with the tradesman theme, the electrician we had round a few weeks ago was saying how he goes to away games but hasn't seen us at home since the Goldstone, but will be getting a season ticket for Falmer. There are thousands and thousands waiting in the wings. Where were they when we were shite? Should we care?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We need the butterflies to flit back in... we should welcome them all with open arms, IMHO...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have given up counting them, but loads of people I know are in the same boat. Guy in our office supports Man Utd but is going to buy a season ticket at Falmer for him and his son as he wants to get into the father/son going to football thing. Wouldn't do it at Withdean as it's not a proper stadium and doesn't want to put his son off, but will do it for Falmer.

And this is the type of message I have heard over and over again. We will have no trouble filling it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Indeed Giraffe - I've lost track of the number of people who have said similar things to me. Teenager in Brighton (West Ham fan nationally) whose Dad wants to take him and some mates along on a regular basis; carpet fitter from Crowborough; Spurs fan who lives next door to me here in T Wells and on and on.

To a fan like you and me it's odd that they haven't been to Withdean, but of course we have got used to just how dreadful that place is. Gus + Amex = a genuinely competitive football offering which we haven't had since ..... 1983?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Cheers Steve - feel free to piss on an NSC bonfire any time you lose the grip on your aged bladder!!!

Of course there's a proportion who will say they are coming but won't. But the point is a proportion WILL. If everyone who now says they'll come tries, we won't have room anyway.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Cheers Steve - feel free to piss on an NSC bonfire any time you lose the grip on your aged bladder!!!

Of course there's a proportion who will say they are coming but won't. But the point is a proportion WILL. If everyone who now says they'll come tries, we won't have room anyway.

Well said...

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Mobs of us were caught up in the Bamber/Mullery (and Bloom) madness of the 70s. Mike Bamber was a hugely charismatic chairman with a vision and had probably the hottest young manager in the country dragging the Albion up the leagues. If this goes on then things are going to be white hot for a few years. If this club gets anywhere near the Pship then we'll need evryone of the 30k possible seats. Absolutely nailed on certainty.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
All well in good, saying that they will attend Falmer, having never/rarely gone to Withdean. However, actions speak louder.............
Oh give it a rest. You start enough 'attendance' threads moaning about people not going to Withdean (or in the case of Yeovil - not buying tickets quick enough) without pissing all over this positive one.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mobs of us were caught up in the Bamber/Mullery (and Bloom) madness of the 70s. Mike Bamber was a hugely charismatic chairman with a vision and had probably the hottest young manager in the country dragging the Albion up the leagues. If this goes on then things are going to be white hot for a few years. If this club gets anywhere near the Pship then we'll need evryone of the 30k possible seats. Absolutely nailed on certainty.

Now this I like! :thumbsup:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
All well in good, saying that they will attend Falmer, having never/rarely gone to Withdean. However, actions speak louder.............

Well I'm one of those 'Bad Fans' that you take so much pleasure in being pissed off with.

STH (along with my son) for the first 6 years at Withdean.

Go to away games only, but will be having 2 x ST at Falmer.

There are an awful lot of us out there.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I met John Prescott in India in 2004. He visibly sagged when I was introduced to him as "a Brighton fan". He said "I've got a 6 foot tall Valentine's card in my office from you lot and nowhere to put it".

Anyway, he went on to relay his experience at Hull, who had opened the new stadium by then. Despite being in the bottom division at the time their attendance more or less doubled overnight.

We're going to get plenty of that and have the added bonus of the Gus factor and getting namechecks in the national press for our style of football. I'm not sure exactly where the average attendances are going to level out next season but it is certainly going to be exciting.

:albion1:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't have a season ticket at Withdean - never have. Had them for years at The Goldstone. Can't get to all the home games (maybe 12 a season) and don't know (didn't know) enough people who would have used my seat if I couldn't go. Now there is no shortage of people who would take the seat if I couldn't make it - so I'll be buying one for next year.

I met John Prescott in India in 2004. He visibly sagged when I was introduced to him as "a Brighton fan". He said "I've got a 6 foot tall Valentine's card in my office from you lot and nowhere to put it".

Anyway, he went on to relay his experience at Hull, who had opened the new stadium by then. Despite being in the bottom division at the time their attendance more or less doubled overnight.

We're going to get plenty of that and have the added bonus of the Gus factor and getting namechecks in the national press for our style of football. I'm not sure exactly where the average attendances are going to level out next season but it is certainly going to be exciting.

:albion1:

Wonder if JP still has the card. If he has, may be he might donate it to the AMEX stadium museum for posterity.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
However, actions speak louder.............

I disagree. a man with a megaphone speaks louder*.

*Unless the action in question is another man talking into a microphone connected to a pair of speakers and a 10,000 W amp.

May 12, 2010
I don't think I'll be getting to Falmer much.
Not because of the price or even the distance from where I live.
Mainly because if I get past Easy 10 trying to STAB me, I might end up sitting next to Steve Foster who will bore me to death by listing the names and addresses of any season ticket holders not present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here