Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFA/LibDem meeting

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyone from the FFA team let us know how it went with Archie Kirkwood and Don Foster? Similarly, how was the menu distribution at the Gala Dinner received?

My fave from that? Lewes Cabinet Soverywrong. BRILLIANT. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Can someone post the full menu? I've seen a copy - but since mislaid it - and it's excellent.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Apparently Lord Kirkwood and Don Foster had asked for a police presence at this meeting. Yes, that's right. A meeting with Paul Samrah and three other people in a room and they wanted the police there. Has Don Foster been talking to his mate Bellotti or something?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Apparently Lord Kirkwood and Don Foster had asked for a police presence at this meeting. Yes, that's right. A meeting with Paul Samrah and three other people in a room and they wanted the police there. Has Don Foster been talking to his mate Bellotti or something?

Another example of the Lib Dems spending taxpayers cash.

As it happens, it was an extremely worthwhile meeting. Don Foster made the point that he and Archy Kirkwood hadn't asked Norman Baker for any prior briefing about what we might be saying. Foster had, however, done some background research himself on the Falmer campaign and knew the basic history back as far as the decision to sell the Goldstone Ground, the Gillingham years, the return to Withdean, the planning application for Falmer, the Public Inquiries and Prescott's decision to give planning permission.

That freed up the time to discuss at considerable length (and they gave us 65 minutes of their time) the issue of why Lewes District Council were taking the decision to the High Court - and for us to explain why they were in the wrong, how they were acting illiberally and undemocratically and how they were losing support for the Lib Dem cause throughout Sussex.

Foster and Kirkwood pored over photographs of the site for some considerable time and asked lots of questions. It was quite obvious that they were having considerable difficulty understanding why LDC were continuing to oppose the stadium. They were also very interested in the sustainable transport access that is built into the Falmer project and is already in operation at Withdean. Don Foster even asked to be supplied with a Withdean match ticket (complete with its two travel vouchers) which seemed to interest him because of discussions that are going on with Bath Rugby Club, back in his home constituency.

I left the meeting feeling that we had succeeded in getting our case across to two major figures in the Liberal Democrat party. Don Foster is party spokesperson on Culture Media and Sport, and Lord Kirkwood is policy advisor to the Party Leader, Ming Campbell.

As we found out later, Lord Kirkwood was also the man who drove Ming Campbell to the party's Gala Dinner at the Royal Pavilion. He was much amused by the Menu Cards and said that he particularly liked the look of the Bellotti Career Brulée (grilled, tossed and flipped).

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
What power do these people have over LDC? Can they actually get them to back off - or is it just another exercise in futility? If, as we heard today, the people from LDC aren't even going to attend the conference then what good will it do us (other than getting our point across to the LibDem leadership)?

The only message these cretins understand is crosses on the ballot sheet, and it's just a pity we have to wait until May to spell it out to them.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
We are talking politicians here, they won't back down or perform a U-turn (the Tories call it a change of emphasis), the best we can hope for is that LDC get a severe bollocking from the party and the propogators of this crazy motion are de-selected at the next election.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You never know about a U-turn - and if you haven't tried, then you never will.

There is no doubt that Baker and De Vecchi will have been very embarrassed by some of today's events, or certainly will be when they hear about them.

The idea of Ming Campbell reading that menu will not have done their career prospects much good in the short term.

Traditionally the Lib Dems have made a big play about winning votes through the complacency of the 'Big Two' parties. Here, they have taken their electorate completely for granted. And that, also, will not have gone down well with the big party chiefs.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Several of the councillors I spoke to today outside the Brighton Centre mentioned that Norman Baker will be addressing the conference tomorrow (Monday) and that they would be seeking him out to ask exactly what is going on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite encouraging if Lib Dems turn on Baker and the mood changes this could be fun.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
It would be nice if Baker ended up with egg on his face, metaphorically or course not literally ;)

Sounds like a very productive meeting Lord B. Well done for arranging it. I personally think that this is the best way to put pressure on LDC, by forcing the bigwigs of the party to appraise their conduct and apply pressure from within the party.
Good work. :clap:

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Lord Bracknell said:
As it happens, it was an extremely worthwhile meeting. Don Foster made the point that he and Archy Kirkwood hadn't asked Norman Baker for any prior briefing about what we might be saying. Foster had, however, done some background research himself on the Falmer campaign and knew the basic history back as far as the decision to sell the Goldstone Ground, the Gillingham years, the return to Withdean, the planning application for Falmer, the Public Inquiries and Prescott's decision to give planning permission.

That freed up the time to discuss at considerable length (and they gave us 65 minutes of their time) the issue of why Lewes District Council were taking the decision to the High Court - and for us to explain why they were in the wrong, how they were acting illiberally and undemocratically and how they were losing support for the Lib Dem cause throughout Sussex.

Foster and Kirkwood pored over photographs of the site for some considerable time and asked lots of questions. It was quite obvious that they were having considerable difficulty understanding why LDC were continuing to oppose the stadium. They were also very interested in the sustainable transport access that is built into the Falmer project and is already in operation at Withdean. Don Foster even asked to be supplied with a Withdean match ticket (complete with its two travel vouchers) which seemed to interest him because of discussions that are going on with Bath Rugby Club, back in his home constituency.

I left the meeting feeling that we had succeeded in getting our case across to two major figures in the Liberal Democrat party. Don Foster is party spokesperson on Culture Media and Sport, and Lord Kirkwood is policy advisor to the Party Leader, Ming Campbell.

As we found out later, Lord Kirkwood was also the man who drove Ming Campbell to the party's Gala Dinner at the Royal Pavilion. He was much amused by the Menu Cards and said that he particularly liked the look of the Bellotti Career Brulée (grilled, tossed and flipped).

Excellent work as ever, Ed. :clap:

Made the case very well on TV, as well. :clap:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Jim D said:
What power do these people have over LDC? Can they actually get them to back off - or is it just another exercise in futility? If, as we heard today, the people from LDC aren't even going to attend the conference then what good will it do us (other than getting our point across to the LibDem leadership)?

The only message these cretins understand is crosses on the ballot sheet, and it's just a pity we have to wait until May to spell it out to them.

Good point, but I think we must have got our point across in a polite and democratic way - we'll just have to wait and see what good it does us in the long run!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Firstly a sincere 'well done' to everyone involved with yesterday. I've said on here before that I think the time for peaceful marches and protests is long over but for those who still think LDC can be swayed by force of argument alone, well fair play to you.

BUT - has it really done any good? Even if we win all the arguments (again) and even if secretly the Lib Dem leadership think that Baker and LDC are behaving like twats are they going to put pressure on them to give up the fight?

I think the answer to that is 'no', they'll simply say it's a local issue and they can't get involved. In which case yesterday, for all the back-slapping going on here, will have achieved nothing.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Brovian, battles have to be fought and won on many fronts in order to win the war

Dandyman

In London village.
Brovian said:
Firstly a sincere 'well done' to everyone involved with yesterday. I've said on here before that I think the time for peaceful marches and protests is long over but for those who still think LDC can be swayed by force of argument alone, well fair play to you.

BUT - has it really done any good? Even if we win all the arguments (again) and even if secretly the Lib Dem leadership think that Baker and LDC are behaving like twats are they going to put pressure on them to give up the fight?

I think the answer to that is 'no', they'll simply say it's a local issue and they can't get involved. In which case yesterday, for all the back-slapping going on here, will have achieved nothing.

Brovian, are you suggesting some sort of mass civil disobedience ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Several of the councillors I spoke to today outside the Brighton Centre mentioned that Norman Baker will be addressing the conference tomorrow (Monday) and that they would be seeking him out to ask exactly what is going on.

Yes but as sure as Eggs are Eggs you know he will feed them Bullshit, blatant lies and scaremongering and they will probably believe them..

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Uncle Spielberg said:

Yes but as sure as Eggs are Eggs you know he will feed them Bullshit, blatant lies and scaremongering and they will probably believe them..

I'm sure Baker will come up with some bollocks to pacify them

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Brovian said:

A key problem is that the issue itself (the Lewes Lib Dems' decision to seek a High Court hearing, etc) is complicated, and therefore people like Norman Baker can get away with his stance by making vague statements such as "....there are better alternative sites....", "....it's in an AONB....", "it's on the South Downs, which we must protect..." blah, blah. It needs time to really get across the issues, and the great thing is that Lord B and Paul Samrah managed to get that time (over an hour) with Don Foster and Archy Kirkwood. Neither of whom was under any obligation to have the meeting. If the Rally did nothing else apart from facilitate that meeting, then it will have been a success.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here