Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fear Of flying ...

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
got a few flights coming up, including a reasonably long one, and i really want to enjoy them... however i'm afraid of the dropping out of the sky and dying.

i used to love flying but the older i get, the more drunk i have to get at the airport prior to getting on the things. i really don't enjoy it and i make everybody around me nervous aswell.

somebody told me about a book that's really good and explains why planes don't fall out of the sky, i think it's called 'why planes don't fall out of the sky'.

there's one on amazon that has a very similar name but the blurb doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

does anybody know this book, does it work?

alternatively, has anybody here gotten over a fear of flying using any other methods?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
You can only die once.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
got a few flights coming up, including a reasonably long one, and i really want to enjoy them... however i'm afraid of the dropping out of the sky and dying.

i used to love flying but the older i get, the more drunk i have to get at the airport prior to getting on the things. i really don't enjoy it and i make everybody around me nervous aswell.

somebody told me about a book that's really good and explains why planes don't fall out of the sky, i think it's called 'why planes don't fall out of the sky'.

there's one on amazon that has a very similar name but the blurb doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.

does anybody know this book, does it work?

alternatively, has anybody here gotten over a fear of flying using any other methods?

I'm with you on this. I don't hate flying to the point where it stops me going, but I certainly don't enjoy it. One thing I have found is that sitting nearer the front of the plane calms me down considerably. I came about this by accident when they stopped people smoking on planes. I always used to have a smoking seat which was always at the back. The first time I flew after smoking was stopped, I found myself in row 2 and was much happier. I think it is because there is less engine noise sat towards the front.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I'm with you on this. I don't hate flying to the point where it stops me going, but I certainly don't enjoy it. One thing I have found is that sitting nearer the front of the plane calms me down considerably. I came about this by accident when they stopped people smoking on planes. I always used to have a smoking seat which was always at the back. The first time I flew after smoking was stopped, I found myself in row 2 and was much happier. I think it is because there is less engine noise sat towards the front.

yeah, know what you're saying, especially as you can't see the fricking wings flapping around. alas, i normally fly with easyjet so don't have the pleasure of choosing my seat

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I wouldn't say gotten over a fear, but the way I cope with it, is to take prescribed valium from the doctor. I get 10 tablets at a time. It saves money on getting drunk.

Where you flying to and with whom?

I dislike flying, not due to fear but due to boredom. I normally just shut my eyes when i get on board and open them again when we land. I find that this helps time pass quicker.

yeah, know what you're saying, especially as you can't see the fricking wings flapping around. alas, i normally fly with easyjet so don't have the pleasure of choosing my seat

You can sit where you like with easyjet. The earlier you check in the better chance you have of getting the seat you want near the front. Or you can purchase speedy boarding and jump the boarding queue.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
heard about valium, does it just make you drowsey or what?

No just relaxed. Don't drink with it though as it will knock you out.
I made that mistake when we flew back from Athens, landed at Gatwick and then went on to the Labour party march. I had forgotten that I'd taken valium that morning and had a couple of drinks after the march. I was quite spaced out!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just have fear of airports nowadays. Fear of security bollocks, fear of liquid/cream/gel checkpoint bollocks, basically fear of anything that involves queueing bollocks. Whch is just about anything airside or non-airside. It's all a bit peurile. Any half-smart terrorist would just wheel a 20Kg suitcase into the airport terminal and detonate it. Never understood why BAA don't check who can wheel stuff into the the airport. Some countries, unless you're travelling, you can't get within 20 miles of an airport. It's all the same old worthless lip-service over here. BAA just want airports to be shopping malls. IMHO, such malls should be simply demolished.

The actual flying itself, once you've jumped through the airport hoops bollocks, is utterly stress-free. Can't believe anybody in this day and age is actually spooked by flying.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Can't believe anybody in this day and age is actually spooked by flying.

I can't explain it, in the same way that someone scared of spiders or gets claustrophobic cannot explain their fear.
I know it's the safest form of transport but since when did logic help a phobia?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can't explain it, in the same way that someone scared of spiders or gets claustrophobic cannot explain their fear.
I know it's the safest form of transport but since when did logic help a phobia?

I'm sure you're right. Dennis Bergkamp never took that flight did he. He'd always, like, drive to Athens and stuff for European games and it'd take about three days. And if a Premiership club with all the resources at their disposal can't cure it then seems like there's little chance of anybody non-Premiership-related overcoming the same thing aye?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
i've been like that for years.
for me i think its the fear of not being in control.
if anything happens up there, i can't alter the situation at all.
unlike travelling on a ship where at least you have a chance if anything happened if you can swim.
i've also got a fear of being put out at a hospital for example.
this is whats makes me think it's a fear of not being in control.

i've had hypnotherapy and that didn't help.
its spoilt so many holidays down the years.

however, BA do courses to combat the fear of flying which has a very high success rate and for more info you can find out all the info from their website.

i think the courses are held at most large airports like heathrow and gatwick.

check out the website

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
i've been like that for years.
for me i think its the fear of not being in control.
if anything happens up there, i can't alter the situation at all.
unlike travelling on a ship where at least you have a chance if anything happened if you can swim.
i've also got a fear of being put out at a hospital for example.
this is whats makes me think it's a fear of not being in control.

i've had hypnotherapy and that didn't help.
its spoilt so many holidays down the years.

however, BA do courses to combat the fear of flying which has a very high success rate and for more info you can find out all the info from their website.

i think the courses are held at most large airports like heathrow and gatwick.

check out the website

Never felt the fear meself, but remember reading an interview with a pilot once where he said words to the effect that when it came down to it, he didn't give a f*** about the guy in seat 22E, he just wanted to get home to his wife and kids at the end of his shift. Which would have reassured me a hundred times more than knowing I had a lifebelt under me seat and a whistle for attracting attention (oh PUL-EEZE :rolleyes: )

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Never felt the fear meself, but remember reading an interview with a pilot once where he said words to the effect that when it came down to it, he didn't give a f*** about the guy in seat 22E, he just wanted to get home to his wife and kids at the end of his shift. Which would have reassured me a hundred times more than knowing I had a lifebelt under me seat and a whistle for attracting attention (oh PUL-EEZE :rolleyes: )

yeah, i read that too but the bloke in row 22E was a palace fan apparently

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Why do people mislead you when you fly? For example how many times do you hear "Today a plane crashed into a mountain. Luckily all the passengers were wearing seat belts"

I know a pilot who flies for BA-he wouldn't consider taking a plane up that would put his life at risk and once airborne, his objective is to get the damn thing down safely taking no risks whatsoever. I can't imagine other pilots thinking differently. Good enough for me.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What I hate is the fact that the last place you leave before boarding an aeroplane is called a Terminal.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
You are more likely to die from your Trousers than you are from flying.

FACT:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here