Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite Obscure Memory of Withdean Stadium

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No Cullip header or Zamora humdinger (vs Halifax).

Mine would have to be the moment news broke through that Palace had scored late on against Stoke (02/03), whilst we busy demolishing Watford 4-0.

I remember the crowd erupting around the '83 minute. The players looked a bit dazzled and the chap in front of me asked what had happened. Cue a South Stand chorus of 'One nil to the Palace scum'. I really thought we were going to stay up at that point. Little did we know that Reading were set to play a weakened team and we were going to fluff it at Grimsby.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
South Stand stamping their feet on the floor.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Off target shots landing in the hammer net: I used to have a pre-season bet with a couple of other South Standers as to how many hammer-net goals there would be over the course of the season. A sad loss when they built the Worthing end seats.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Get that BLOODY board down!"

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Watching a game from a tree in the first season (with a few tinnies of course) and falling out of said tree when we scored :lolol:

A squirrel.

A hole opening up in the pitch.

Gezza proposing to Wendy in the middle of the pitch.

Getting a wet kiss from Lord Bassam (the real Lord B) after the Swindon play-off final whistle.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Few of mine, Two blokes fighting during the minutes silence for the Queen Mum, Andy Peterson running backwards and falling over leaving an empty net and Lee Steele scoring a last minute winner against Bristol City despite being 4 or 5 yards off-side.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Ponchogate.

When the club ran of ponchos in "away" colours and as a gesture gave away a few home ones to Doncaster Fans.

Cue mini riot at the bottom of the South Stand.

Can we be the only football club where an argument was started between the Stewards and the fans over the giving away of a complimentary plastic bag in the away areas ?

:lol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A message sent down from the control tower asking all the disabled helpers to sit down in one of the provided plastic chairs on the running track...

.. "because Withdean is an all seater stadium".

I'll laugh about that till my grave.

The disabled canopy must get a mention, the one that was unsafe to unfurl in stormy weather.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The playing of Money Money Money by Abba before the Chesterfield game in the first promotion season.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Actually being over the moon to be
Playing there in that first season.... And freemans hatrick.

And now being over the moon to
Be leaving

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Lee Steele scoring a last minute winner against Bristol City despite being 4 or 5 yards off-side.
That's definitely one of mine. Wasn't it Easter bank holiday? When that went in, I knew we were going up.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
After the first game there, the 6-0 win against mansfield, loads of brighton in the pubs by the railway station, there was a guy who jumped on a pssing limo and got indside through the sun roof lol

also, remember it was a last game of the season, think it was against carlisle, wed been promoted, me and Ecosse Exile couldnt get tickets, so we went and watched from the trees, about five minutes from the end, we went to the gates which had just been opened, and my dad started talking to the steward while i snuck behind him and ran into the ground, just in time to get to the front of the running track as the cameras were passing, i was on meridian news that night :D

sitting next to fatboy slim in the north stand, we got the tickets from russell small of phats and small. cant remember what game it was but the ref just about booked everyone on the pitch lol after that game went in the private bar bit behind the stand and i got to meet micky adams and some of the players.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Quite a few seasons ago and I can't remember who we played but the unmarked opposing defender did a fantastic glancing header into his own goal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Rocket Man, the squirrel, the Wycombe player who got sent off for swearing at the ref just as the crowd had gone quiet, Martin Thomas tackling with his head and Chippy's sliding tackle in the rain that just kept on going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here