• Pump It Up

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Almost Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alison

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Man Out Of Time

• What's So Funny (bout peace love and understanding)

• Watching the Detectives

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Beyond Belief

• Town Cryer

• Shot With His Own Gun

• Chelsea

• Good Year For The Roses

• other - please namedrop

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A very well known song he wrote for someone else that I only found out last week was a Costello penned song, and I can't remember what it was. Gonna bug me all day now trying to think of it :angry:

Jul 20, 2003
as I'm in a shitty mood today

'I Want You' or 'Pills and Soap'

from that list "What's So Funny (bout peace love and understanding)" - although given his reputation as a songwriter it's worth noting that Nick Lowe wrote it

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
I was about to post that Shipbuilding wasn't written by Costello but by Robert Wyatt; but on looking it up it was after all.

Interestingly other than Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) notably in 'The Final Cut' as far as I remember Shipbuilding was the only anti Falklands War composition.

Funny that Pink Floyd, who were hated by the punk movement & that particularly Roger Waters was more left wing & politically right on than, perhaps with the exception of the Clash, the rest of the punk movement.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oliver's Army is their Citizens Kane isn't it. This years model is a great album and I also love Chelsea. The PC brigade would ban Oliver's army now wouldn't they

"London is full of Arabs
We could be in Palestine "

Shocking
???

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down is the only Costello record I own.

I like most of his stuff, though, and saw a great concert of his at the Top Rank many moons ago.

Bizarrely, on a skiing holiday in a sleepy little village in Switzerland (Champoussin) a few years ago (c.7), the cafe attached to the hotel we stayed in played Costello albums all day long. Every day!

Last edited:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Uncle Spielberg said:
Oliver's Army is their Citizens Kane isn't it. This years model is a great album and I also love Chelsea. The PC brigade would ban Oliver's army now wouldn't they

"London is full of Arabs
We could be in Palestine "

Shocking
???

You have to read that line in the context of the song which is about mercinary recruitment, and this being one of the lines that could be used to attract a young recruit.

A bit vague i know but at the time we all knew that Costello was heavily involved in Rock against Racism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here